REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:41 PM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Police Record Checks

Now if I am correct, police record checks in Canada are the most in-depth background checks available. If I request somebody who committed a crime under the Youth Justice Act and received a conditional discharge(received it 6 years ago), will his record show up spotless if he has no other run ins with the law, or will I be able to find out about it? Is there any other way you can find out about a youth record after it is sealed?
Advertisement
donthatethegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:16 PM   #2
Banned (ABWS)

i have never been convicted of a crime, or charged with anything
and my record came up with some "spots" for things like being caught with firecrackers in grade 8(age 13), and marijuana seizure in grade 12(i was 17 at the time)

all while being under the age of 18, and yet they are still "recorded" incidents

mind you all that didn't stop them from issuing me a firearms possession/acquisition license, so its not on your record but the police can see it on there system.

basically all that stuff is sealed unless he commits more crimes in a x year window(don't really remember as i was told this a while ago)
baggdis300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
There are 2 different things being referred to here. The first is an official criminal record check. A conditional discharge is just that, a conditional discharge. These are offered for first time offenders and allow a person to walk away, after certain criteria are met, with no official record. So no if you search someone who had a Conditional Discharge it will NOT show up on a Criminal Record Check.

HOWEVER a police "file" on someone lists all contact with the law. This could be anything from getting your name taken as a witness to being suspected of a crime but not charged or any other time a Police Officer takes your name. Your "file" is more secure and can not be read or aquired unless subpoenaed for court purposes. Or in some cases if police officers pull your file and show it to people. This is a breach of trust however to show your file to NON police members.

Berz out.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:43 AM   #4
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
you need to have a Pardon if you have a record.. but only have 3+ years (depending on the seriousness) after your sentence is finished.

i think with pardons, even on police checks and boarder guards, it wont show up... only certain authorities have access to it
Old 03-25-2011, 06:47 AM   #5
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,644 Times in 2,300 Posts
soo theres no way you (or a police officer) can obtain your police "FILE" unless its for court purposes?
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:16 AM   #6
Banned (ABWS)

i thought you could make a request to view your file, due to it being YOUR file...
baggdis300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:25 AM   #7
I bringith the lowerballerith

You have to make a request through the Access to Information Act/Privacy Act:

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/atip-aiprp/index-eng.htm
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2011, 01:20 AM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,382 Times in 416 Posts
http://www.backcheck.net/
k3mps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:45 AM   #9
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
most people will have spots, even if its just your neighbor fighting and you witnessed it, they will keep it on a little tab file

how ever any crime convicted under 18 will be kept file but not a criminal record
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:50 PM   #10
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,644 Times in 2,300 Posts
can an employer access your file? or is it only your criminal record they can access
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:27 PM   #11
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
I work in a security-related industry; I had to request my own criminal record check. The company paid for it, but they couldn't just go pull my record on their own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote