REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vacations and World Travel (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vacations-world-travel_246/)
-   -   Trip to japan( should I cancel or wait) (https://www.revscene.net/forums/640241-trip-japan-should-i-cancel-wait.html)

wasabisashimi 03-16-2011 12:16 PM

Trip to japan( should I cancel or wait)

I planned a trip with my wife to visit southern japan in the mountain hot spring 3 hrs away from Fukuoka city . Everything is paid for and arranged for April 20. Should I cancel it now or wait to see if the after quake state is better. It looks very messy right now with tsunami, aftershock, and nuclear plant burning. Even though the disaster is on north eastern seaside and my vacation spot is on south western seaside. What would u do in my situation, I am thinking about canceling, but I still got a month to think about
Posted via RS Mobile

TOS'd 03-16-2011 12:19 PM

Should be fine since it so far south and on the west coast of Japan. I would just hold on to the trip until the very last minute you can get your deposit/payment back. And continue watching the news.

TheNewGirl 03-16-2011 12:19 PM

Have you got insurance on it (ie: Are you going to get your money back if you cancel?)?

If so see if you can rebook for the fall or something?

If not well let it rise and decide closer to the time since it's paid for and you won't get anything back by canceling.

wasabisashimi 03-16-2011 12:27 PM

I think I can cancel up until April 4th. If later , it's 300 penalty
Posted via RS Mobile

RevRav 03-16-2011 12:27 PM

Yeah, as mentioned above.
How much of the cost would you be able to recover, if you cancel your trip?

wasabisashimi 03-16-2011 12:28 PM

Also i read about a volcano eruption in the region recently. Dunno if that's related to this earthquake
Posted via RS Mobile

TheNewGirl 03-16-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wasabisashimi (Post 7347099)
I think I can cancel up until April 4th. If later , it's 300 penalty
Posted via RS Mobile

Confirm that with who ever you booked through for sure. Then just keep watching the news. Hopefully everything is settled down by then.

Glove 03-16-2011 12:30 PM

please come back as spider man

wasabisashimi 03-16-2011 01:24 PM

i will keep watching the news til deadline
http://www.japan-guide.com/g3/0018_02.gif

Ulic Qel-Droma 03-16-2011 03:41 PM

lol if in a month things arent better, things are really fucked.

SkinnyPupp 03-17-2011 07:06 PM

Just go, things were fine the day after the earthquake, as long as you weren't literally at the power plant.

Ronin 03-17-2011 11:17 PM

I really wouldn't be worried about it. If there's on place on the planet that's prepared for quakes, it's Japan. Friends in Tokyo have told me that life pretty much just went on the day after the quake.

Just go.

wasabisashimi 03-17-2011 11:38 PM

i dont need radiation suit right?, lol

SkinnyPupp 03-18-2011 04:10 AM

You'll be exposed to more radiation on the flight there than you ever would being in Tokyo.

Just don't go to the power plant, you'll be fine.

Soundy 03-18-2011 06:09 AM

The only thing you REALLY want to worry about, is flight cancellations or delays. Several airlines have temporarily stopped flights INTO Japan... check with your airline to make sure yours is still on (although with it being over a month away, there shouldn't be any issue).

CP.AR 03-18-2011 11:58 AM

I'm still going to my trip... though my original plan of hitting up northern japan for a day has been scrapped

Browny 03-18-2011 12:51 PM

All flights to Japan (except into Sendai) are on schedule again.

Southern Japan has no issues and in reality although it was a bad situation, friends in Tokyo have noted a day after life was back to normal. You will be fine.

Soundy 03-18-2011 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Picard (Post 7350644)
I'm still going to my trip... though my original plan of hitting up northern japan for a day has been scrapped

Can't Dr. Crusher give you some sort of anti-radiation hypo?

Spidey 03-18-2011 01:28 PM

you guys are idiots if you go. The truth is you do NOT know the extent of the radiation levels... You do not know what they are not telling you and if what they are telling you are true. You don't want to fuck with any possible radiation exposure. Why would you risk it? It is nowhere near the incident in Chernobyl, but even with that, it happened while everyone (mostly) thought things were dandy.

Browny 03-18-2011 02:02 PM

I work in the travel industry. We get official Japanese releases. Being right next to the plant is obviously bad but people really need to realise the media overkill everything big time. Talk to the people in Japan and you will understand it.

SumAznGuy 03-18-2011 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 7350719)

Accord to some chinese people in asia, salt could be used as a preventative against radiation.

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/6478...salt-hangover/

wasabisashimi 03-18-2011 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 7350288)
You'll be exposed to more radiation on the flight there than you ever would being in Tokyo.

Just don't go to the power plant, you'll be fine.

Ok guys, let's say I cancel my Japan trip becuase you scared the shit out of me with radiation.

Will going to Korea, HK, or Taiwan be any safer? radiation travels by wind right!!... ... OMG Year of the rabit got a good start.

SkinnyPupp 03-18-2011 05:19 PM

I hope you're joking

Spidey 03-18-2011 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Browny (Post 7350782)
I work in the travel industry. We get official Japanese releases. Being right next to the plant is obviously bad but people really need to realise the media overkill everything big time. Talk to the people in Japan and you will understand it.

The media may overkill things, but are you also saying that the tsunami and earthquake is overrated by the US media? I agree media overkills and beats something over and over, but like I said, when it comes to something unpredictable like radiation, I am not fucking around and waiting to find out.

You getting releases from Japan isn't any better than what the Japanese citizens are hearing. And when yous ay "talk to the people in Japan", that means nothing. Again, they don't know anything about the power plant their government doesn't want them to know.

CP.AR 03-18-2011 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 7350719)

haha yeah gotta bring my hypospray with me :fullofwin: