REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-17-2011, 06:35 PM   #26
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77civic1200 View Post
Mostly true. While it does completely depend on the max angle you are getting out of the front wheels, its also true that a fwd vehicle would have a lower max because of the limits of the driveshaft. A rwd vehicle has more potential to have a small turning radius, if the desire was there.
No. Not mostly true. Completely true. Everything you said, comes back to the same thing. The amount of angle the tie rods/steering rack will give to your wheels.
Advertisement
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:15 PM   #27
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
I would think that RWD having to push the car around would make the radius bigger than a FWD that pulls the car tight?

Berz out.
Perhaps if this was a turning circle drifting competition at full steering lock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
You guys are all morons. It has nothing to do with drivetrain and everything to do with how the knuckles are designed and how much "angle'' your front wheels can get when you are at full lock.
This.

Last edited by Mancini; 03-17-2011 at 11:49 PM.
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:20 PM   #28
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
therefore, you can have a much tighter turning radius in a Subaru Impreza than a Lancer Evolution, yet maybe not as much turning radius as a Lancer GTS.

Let's put another 2 very similar shaped cars together: Smart Fortwo and Toyota iQ. iQ will turn inside the Fortwo turning radius, but iQ is FWD the Fortwo is RWD.

Food for thought. So the argument is moot.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:29 PM   #29
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,904 Times in 3,867 Posts
this is a stupid question, as stated before turning radius has nothing to do with the drive wheels, unless you're breaking them loose. wheelbase length plays a small role, and the steering angle at full lock would be the most important thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark0821 View Post
i rmbr clarkson comparing a SL65 Black to a normal SL350... =.=
the turning radius on the Black was far bigger than SL350...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXJH2Q9sW_4&hd=1

skip to 6:02 to see what i am talking abt...
The reason why the Black would have a bigger radius is a combonation of things, including the wider tires and lower suspension that require less steering angle in order to avoid rubbing.

Quote:
That's why I said you need 3 cars that are exactly the same only 1 being RWD 1 being FWD and 1 being AWD. Also speed is a huge factor.

Berz out.
why can't I fail you? Drive train is irrelevant here.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:04 PM   #30

Thanked 1,263 Times in 300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
No. Not mostly true. Completely true.
Bullshit. You said "It has nothing to do with drivetrain" Thats wrong. Its not the major factor, as I explained, but drivetrain can limit the available angles.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:53 AM   #31
G'd up! w000weee

g35 coupe turns a HUGE as circle compared to my friends clk or gf's civic....
so i would have to say it depends on the car
mmmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:45 AM   #32
RS controls my life!

no front axles makes a big difference. i run modded front knucles and get 52deg in the front and the only limiting factor is that i hit the inside frame and tension rods. i can pull a u-turn in 2 standard car lanes.

jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2011, 12:57 PM   #33

I can't believe the utter nonsense in this thread.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #34
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
I think my statement is the truest of all and yet it seems people can't understand the basic principles falcon and I are trying to explain.

Steering is angle what makes a car turn. In order for this to be a fair comparison you need 2 identical cars but one being FWD and one being RWD. THEN you have to drive them in a circle. Speed will play a huge factor in the size of the radius though so at nominal speed I would say they are going to be exactly the same. However as speed increases the cohesion of the front tires will be the contributing factor of the overall radius. The faster you go the wider the radius will be. This is where the difference between FWD and RWD would come into play.
Which one allows for better cohesion and retaining a tight circle.

Berz out.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:37 PM   #35
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

mercs can turn on a dime. My datsun has horrible turning radius, so does my rx lol
Old 03-19-2011, 05:50 PM   #36
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Quote:
Steering is angle what makes a car turn. In order for this to be a fair comparison you need 2 identical cars but one being FWD and one being RWD. THEN you have to drive them in a circle. Speed will play a huge factor in the size of the radius though so at nominal speed I would say they are going to be exactly the same. However as speed increases the cohesion of the front tires will be the contributing factor of the overall radius. The faster you go the wider the radius will be. This is where the difference between FWD and RWD would come into play.
I think that's a skidpad test. Turning radius has nothing to do with lateral Gs.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:28 PM   #37
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ackerma...ering_geometry
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:51 PM   #38
I STILL don't get it

thIn my opinion, Falcon said it best. The OP is confusing the audience with his choice of possible answers. If there was another choice, it would read
d)none of the above

Like Falcon said, you would only have to consider the maximum steering angle plus width and length of the wheel base. On paper with this data alone, you should be able to calculate the turning radius of the typical car with a fixed rear axle.

However in real life, you will notice that at full lock, the angle of the tires at full lock will be slightly different. This is because the manufactured is using some variation of th Ackermann steering geometry (look it up). This type of arranging is used in order to solve the problem of the outer wheel having to travel a farther distance when tracing out the turning circle. Knowing this, we can reach a very close approximation of a car's turning radius with the equation

turning circle radius = the width of the wheels divided in 2 plus length of wheelbase divided by SIN of both steering angles divided by 2.

Imagine if you were plotting a cars turning radius on paper using xy coordinates. You would be plotting the XY coordinates of a semi circle in order to determine the distance of X from where it origin. Because you are plotting a single point, you will have to convert your real life data according. That is why to our best approximation, we divide the length and width of the base by 2, and average out the steering angle.

In real life, steering geometry is a usually a derivative of drive train layout. However, ultimately, it is still the steering angle that largely determines how tightly a car can turn. Knowing the drive train configuration is not sufficient information to determine the turning radius of a car.

And really, if it was up to layout, the tank would win hands down!
noventa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #39

Finally someone knows what they are talking about.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:53 AM   #40
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,904 Times in 3,867 Posts
Quote:
I think my statement is the truest of all and yet it seems people can't understand the basic principles falcon and I are trying to explain.

Berz out.
No, you just can't understand that you're talking about the wrong fucking thing.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2011, 09:58 AM   #41
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

the real answer is...

WHO GIVES A SHIT?

if your car has horrible turning radius, then just DEAL WITH IT.

if your car has awesome turning radius, then just turn LIKE A BAWS.

is it really that important to discuss?
Old 03-21-2011, 10:27 AM   #42
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
OP's question was what drive-terrain has the best turning radius, yet we start to talk about why its not the drive terrain. :

Noventa, I gotta ask why did you fail my post if its partially correct?

Falcon, its not that we're morons, its just we post what we know of / think.

This thread is so much fail :P
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote