REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:58 AM   #1
RS Lurker, I don't post!

First time getting a parking ticket. Fightable?

Hey guys,

I was parked beside a meter today that was not in effect as it was very late. Apparently, City of Vancouver impounded my car in about 10 minutes as they said I've "Stopped in Passenger Zone" Upon further inspection, there was a small post saying that anytime after 6pm-2am is considered "passenger zone?!"

I found this not very convincing but Busters towed my car which costed me $94. On top of that, I have received a fine from City of Vancouver in the amount of $50 if I pay by April 1 or $100 if I pay later.

Do you guys think this is fightable? I personally dont think this ticket was justified as there weren't any clear signs. (Upon inspection, this notice was pictured with other 2 different traffic signs combined) This is my fist time getting a traffic ticket today and I find it a bit ridiculous. :S

Thanks for the help in advance.
Don

By the way, this is the ticket I've received with the Buster receipt:
Advertisement
don_lee103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:50 AM   #2
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

i'm assuming you were parked during that time? if so, what exactly would you be fighting? being a cheap ass? illiterate? too stupid to check signs?

they are parking signs. what is a small post? i didn't realize the city was in the habit of hiding parking signs. multiple signs mean multiple rules.
that doesn't mean "multiple signs = too much to read, just park"
Old 03-19-2011, 04:19 AM   #3
Banned (ABWS)

nope, pay the fine, or dont pay and possibly get a impound until all tickets paid?
baggdis300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:11 AM   #4
I subscribe to Revscene

Can you post a Google Streetview of the location and signs?

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:30 AM   #5
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Lesson learned. Going to pay the ticket and move on with my life.
don_lee103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:42 PM   #6
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Email vancouver parking and exlain what happened, they may drop the ticket completely.

I've gotten a City of Richmond and an Impark ticket both dropped in the past 6 months just by emailing and explaining. Parking people are nicer than you think.

Sucks that you got towed.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #7
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

i got the exact same ticket last month and got impounded also. Corner of thurlow and alberni is where i got towed.. i don't mind paying for the towing ticket, its just dumb that they give you a fine and also tow you too..it's stupidd.. but it was my fault cus i didn't look at the sign and went straight to the meter to pay... So yah you gota watch out for those! it's freaking tricky...just a small sign on a corner.. If it's a passenger zone they shouldn't even put a meter there..it' just confuses people with the time restriction that's all..
but yah i paid it..no point of disputing, it's clearly your fault for not seeing the sign..take it as a really expensive dinner that night
ImportXxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:56 PM   #8
I subscribe to Revscene

It may be his fault, but if the city is going to allow car thieves to come and take your car then it needs to be a really easy to read and clearly visible sign.

Towing should be allowed for only the most dangerous illegal parking jobs.

If you're late paying your property taxes they don't come and nail your front door shut and lock you out in the cold. Tow truck drivers and the parking nazzis that call them are the scum of the earth. Other than murderers and rapists I can't think of a lower life form.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:11 PM   #9
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,764 Times in 906 Posts
I just want you to be aware that as of Feb 21 the City of Vancouver has changed it's parking tickets to a new Bylaw Adjudication process. If I were to explain the difference id say it's much more black in white in terms of you either did it or you didn't. I would talk to a screening officer first by calling 604-257-8732. If they say sorry it stands you still have a chance of disputing it through a Adjudication Officer but remember you will be disputing the ticket at it's full amount $100 and there's a $25 fee to escalate to this officer so if you lose that's $125 you gotta pay.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:40 PM   #10
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by don_lee103 View Post
they said I've "Stopped in Passenger Zone" Upon further inspection, there was a small post saying that anytime after 6pm-2am is considered "passenger zone?!"
you stopped where you should not have and got ticketed and towed..
the timestamp on the ticket is 11:36pm.. what is there to fight?