REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Hockey Helmet Too Narrow (https://www.revscene.net/forums/640516-hockey-helmet-too-narrow.html)

wix 03-19-2011 10:06 PM

Hockey Helmet Too Narrow

I bought the Easton S7 helmet online thinking it would fit, but it didn't.

It is much too narrow and I get severe headaches after wearing it for 10-15 minutes.

I used a blade to shave a put off the sides where my temples are and it helps a bit, but I need to shave more off because it's way too tight.

Does anyone know any techniques I could use to shave off 1-2 mm?

I am in the process of borrowing a sander to sand it down. I tried sanding it down using 60 grit sand paper by hand and it did nothing. This foam is impenetrable.

skiiipi 03-19-2011 10:16 PM

by modifying the helmet the way you are describing, you are voiding all warrenty associated with the helmet, including the CSA standards.

What I reccomend you do is to cut your losses, and go buy a RBK 4K helmet from Sportchek for $59.99, as Reebok helmets are much wider.

FN-2199 03-19-2011 10:17 PM

Did you not try the helmet on before buying it? I definitely know when a helmet is much too narrow, even over time.

Nvasion 03-20-2011 12:25 AM

weird.. for me my rbk 6k seems to be too small where my temple is.. was told easton is wider.

wix 03-20-2011 12:52 AM

^

I think CCM has the best fit for rounder heads. Easton S7 and S9's are very narrow because of the lower end foam. The higher end ones should fit better (they all use the same shell up to S17)

I'm only shaving 1-2 MM off the temple area of the foam, I don't think it will compromise the integrity of the helmet itself. I guess I'll have to take the risk.

And if worse comes to worst, then I'll buy a new helmet :(

skiiipi 03-20-2011 07:28 AM

RBK is the "roundest" fitting helmet.
Bauer 7500/8500 are wider as well
Posted via RS Mobile

cdizzle_996 03-20-2011 09:05 AM

I'd go with the Bauer 8500 as well. I wouldnt be too worried about voiding the warranty, but more so you're taking away from the design that was created to prevent head injuries.

Leopold Stotch 03-20-2011 11:33 PM

luckily in terms of helmets, the S7 isn't all too expensive. before i buy stuff online, i always try stuff on at sport chek first.

go and try some other helmets, for all you know you're a size larger than you think, or you're a different brand.

UFO 03-25-2011 07:24 PM

+1 on the Rbk 4k. I want a higher end helmet, but the 6k and 8k and none of the Bauer offerings fit my head as well as the 4k. So the 4k will have to do

wix 03-26-2011 02:47 AM

Hello!

I sold my Easton S7 w/ Cage to a fellow revscener, took a $25 hit, but it's all good.

I initially was going to get the RBK 6k, but found out that the 4K fit much better!

So I got the RBK 4K. Wore it tonight at practice and it felt awesome.

Leopold Stotch 03-27-2011 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wix (Post 7361893)
Hello!

I sold my Easton S7 w/ Cage to a fellow revscener, took a $25 hit, but it's all good.

I initially was going to get the RBK 6k, but found out that the 4K fit much better!

So I got the RBK 4K. Wore it tonight at practice and it felt awesome.

good stuff, helmet comfort IMO, beside skates is the most importance in terms of comfort for hockey gear.

i also dislike the higher end model helmets with the memory foam, just doesn't feel very nice.

Nvasion 03-28-2011 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch (Post 7364006)
good stuff, helmet comfort IMO, beside skates is the most importance in terms of comfort for hockey gear.

i also dislike the higher end model helmets with the memory foam, just doesn't feel very nice.

i agreee... the s7 is pretty comfy, i had the rbk 6k before this and the memory foam isnt great...