REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:06 PM   #1
wix
I bringith the lowerballerith

Hockey Helmet Too Narrow

I bought the Easton S7 helmet online thinking it would fit, but it didn't.

It is much too narrow and I get severe headaches after wearing it for 10-15 minutes.

I used a blade to shave a put off the sides where my temples are and it helps a bit, but I need to shave more off because it's way too tight.

Does anyone know any techniques I could use to shave off 1-2 mm?

I am in the process of borrowing a sander to sand it down. I tried sanding it down using 60 grit sand paper by hand and it did nothing. This foam is impenetrable.
Advertisement

Last edited by wix; 03-19-2011 at 10:12 PM.
wix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
by modifying the helmet the way you are describing, you are voiding all warrenty associated with the helmet, including the CSA standards.

What I reccomend you do is to cut your losses, and go buy a RBK 4K helmet from Sportchek for $59.99, as Reebok helmets are much wider.
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:17 PM   #3
not the mod you're looking for

Thanked 1,536 Times in 556 Posts
Did you not try the helmet on before buying it? I definitely know when a helmet is much too narrow, even over time.
FN-2199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:25 AM   #4
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

weird.. for me my rbk 6k seems to be too small where my temple is.. was told easton is wider.
Nvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:52 AM   #5
wix

^

I think CCM has the best fit for rounder heads. Easton S7 and S9's are very narrow because of the lower end foam. The higher end ones should fit better (they all use the same shell up to S17)

I'm only shaving 1-2 MM off the temple area of the foam, I don't think it will compromise the integrity of the helmet itself. I guess I'll have to take the risk.

And if worse comes to worst, then I'll buy a new helmet
Old 03-20-2011, 07:28 AM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
RBK is the "roundest" fitting helmet.
Bauer 7500/8500 are wider as well
Posted via RS Mobile
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:05 AM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
I'd go with the Bauer 8500 as well. I wouldnt be too worried about voiding the warranty, but more so you're taking away from the design that was created to prevent head injuries.
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:33 PM   #8

luckily in terms of helmets, the S7 isn't all too expensive. before i buy stuff online, i always try stuff on at sport chek first.

go and try some other helmets, for all you know you're a size larger than you think, or you're a different brand.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:24 PM   #9
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

+1 on the Rbk 4k. I want a higher end helmet, but the 6k and 8k and none of the Bauer offerings fit my head as well as the 4k. So the 4k will have to do
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:47 AM   #10
wix

Hello!

I sold my Easton S7 w/ Cage to a fellow revscener, took a $25 hit, but it's all good.

I initially was going to get the RBK 6k, but found out that the 4K fit much better!

So I got the RBK 4K. Wore it tonight at practice and it felt awesome.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wix View Post
Hello!

I sold my Easton S7 w/ Cage to a fellow revscener, took a $25 hit, but it's all good.

I initially was going to get the RBK 6k, but found out that the 4K fit much better!

So I got the RBK 4K. Wore it tonight at practice and it felt awesome.
good stuff, helmet comfort IMO, beside skates is the most importance in terms of comfort for hockey gear.

i also dislike the higher end model helmets with the memory foam, just doesn't feel very nice.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch View Post
good stuff, helmet comfort IMO, beside skates is the most importance in terms of comfort for hockey gear.

i also dislike the higher end model helmets with the memory foam, just doesn't feel very nice.
i agreee... the s7 is pretty comfy, i had the rbk 6k before this and the memory foam isnt great...
Nvasion is offline   Reply With Quote