REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 03-22-2011, 09:50 AM   #1
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Supermotard vs sportbike

Looking at getting a bike this summer. I am an experienced enough rider for either or but cant decide which one I would like better. Can the more experienced riders help me with a list of pros and cons?

Also if I was to choose a sport bike id be getting a Daytona 675. they are light nimble and have 120hp. and good for a low 11's 1/4 mile.

I dont really care about going that fast. completely unnecessary for street anyways. But how slow are supermotards? I'm looking at a hasqvarana 510 mr. 60 hp 260 pounds. tops out at 180km/h. if its peppy enough to pull off 12's i would be satisfied. 13's is getting a little slow and I just don't feel it would be exciting enough for me.
Of coarse im not buying a bike for straight line performance I know its all about the corners I just don't want to buy a supermotard have it feel quick enough for the first month than get completly bored with poor performance of a slow bike.
Advertisement
4nik8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
get the ducati hypermotard 1100 then. as much power as a 600, and quite the looker imo.

CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
Banned (ABWS)

My dream bike...
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:09 PM   #4
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

I asked the same question last fall. Ended up getting an 05 honda 600RR but kind of wish I would have went with a supermoto. I mean I love my bike and all but I riding a SM is like riding a fucking powerful dirtbike on the streets. It's pretty tits. KTM's make a really nice 690 SM. Tons of power.
Canadian Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:33 PM   #5
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

save your pennies, and buy this one. you won't regret it.

daytona675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:02 PM   #6

im still twisted on this

60hp
250 pounds
1/4 time...12.7
puts sport bikes to shame in the corners.
tops out at 180km/h
very lite and agile.

124hp
350 pounds
1/4 time 10.8
top speed 270km/h
very sexy
very fast

Sexy vs off road.
speed demon vs Air time
drive like a human being most the time vs street legal dirt bike

if I go sm route id like to stay light. I'm only 130 pounds my self and I want to toss it around like its my bitch. same reason why I choose the daytona 675. its narrow light and has a decent mid rpm range.
the husky is still pretty fast though covering the quarter in high 12's is hauling ass. well on a dirt bike anyways.
but the triumph is so freaking sexy and would be so smooth for those highway cruises....

I think the sm might provoke me to be a douche bag when i shouldn't be. id treat the more powerful bike with alot more respect in city limits. out on mountain highways its the other way around id be tempted to push a sport bike a little faster and on the sm, well I'm assuing highway driving is pretty hard on that engine so id probably put it in the back of my truck and look for some off roading spots....

also both those 1/4 et's were best I could find for either bike.

Last edited by 4nik8; 03-23-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:30 PM   #7
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,814 Times in 8,189 Posts
That husky is
Posted via RS Mobile
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:14 AM   #8
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
I don't mean to be a fear monger but a friend of a friend has that Husky right now and he's dealing with some serious engine problems.

Not sure if he has a bad bike or if they're all lemons.

Juuuust sayin'.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I don't mean to be a fear monger but a friend of a friend has that Husky right now and he's dealing with some serious engine problems.

Not sure if he has a bad bike or if they're all lemons.

Juuuust sayin'.
ive herd they have reliability issues. if you could keep me updated on what is wrong with your friends that would be awesome.

small things i can deal with. having to rebuild the engine once every few summers may annoy me..

I went and looked at a daytona today it is soooooooo sexy. later this summer ill test drive both. id like to take the husky out on the highway and see what its manner are like.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:44 AM   #10

so the husky 510 is no more its now called the 511, it is only a 1 cyl engine now and its smaller. it's a bmw motor though so reliability will be better. im worried about power though. the bmw 450 cc engine of the past was less powerful than the husky engine.

pics

you can see the bmw influences when you look at the g450

Old 03-28-2011, 05:25 PM   #11
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4nik8 View Post
ive herd they have reliability issues. if you could keep me updated on what is wrong with your friends that would be awesome.
I bumped into my friend today and he said something about the cam chain sprockets are a known issue? They're common across the board on all their motors. Best to do a search on the internet to see what the specific issue is. Sorry!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 03-29-2011, 07:19 PM   #12
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

hypermotard 796
Honda x 3
Mazda
Toyota
Suzuki
Subaru
Warp9Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp9Racing View Post
hypermotard 796
Oh I like that one , a decent 81 hp 350 pounds.

but after much though I'm going with sport bike.

see you on the roads this summer or the next.

also thanks for all your input. It's nice to get other riders perspective on things.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:56 PM   #14
RS Veteran

Maybe we can see you at one of the Monthly Coffee/Poser Meets!

Old 04-05-2011, 08:02 PM   #15

for sure later on in summer. Id also be interested in a few rides across BC. Over the passes maybe to Ainsworth for some hot spring cave awesomeness. but I have to wait till after a trip to HK to meet the gf's folks. on a side note learning Cantonese extremely difficult for me......