REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-24-2011, 08:44 AM   #1
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
ICBC MITE increase insurance rates

Yeah so what happened to lower premiums? now they MIGHT increase them... im confused as hell

Quote:
VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - We may be seeing a hike in insurance rates over an increased number of crash injuries.

ICBC says it paid out around $1.5 billion to people hurt in accidents last year. That's on top of a 25 per cent spike in payouts for average injury claims between 2006 and 2010.

BC's public insurer is concerned that the number of bodily injury claims climbed about five per cent between 2009 and 2010.

The Corporation's Adam Grossman says that is in reverse to a long-standing trend. "The number of bodily injury claims were coming down year-on-year. That is the number of claims coming in."

ICBC is expected to announce its new rates later this year, but can't say if or how the latest statistics will affect the fees.

Last year, ICBC slashed basic insurance rates by 2.4 per cent thanks to lower than expected payouts. There was also a three per cent reduction to optional rates.
source: http://www.news1130.com/news/local/a...nsurance-rates
Advertisement
Old 03-24-2011, 08:48 AM   #2
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

blame richmond c-lais
and ugh the richmond ice
and the richmond snow
I'd hate to pay more on insurance than I currently am for 2 vehicles.
kyoshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:06 AM   #3
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
pay outs to people who milk the system
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:07 AM   #4
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
i thought they just recently lowered the rate ...wtf ? now increases it ?
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:10 AM   #5
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I know this was gonna happen. Lower it. Then raise it
Posted via RS Mobile
DavidNguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:18 AM   #6
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-24-2011, 09:49 AM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoshiro View Post
blame richmond c-lais
and ugh the richmond ice
and the richmond snow
I'd hate to pay more on insurance than I currently am for 2 vehicles.
Pretty ignorant statement!

I agree the C-lais are stupid slowass drivers, but here in maple ridge/ Langley/Surrey, I see "non-c-lai drivers" who shouldn't be on the road, but they all have trucks and SUVs which is far more dangerous to drive without common road sense.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:55 AM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
Can't they just double the premiums for bad drivers?
Posted via RS Mobile
Matlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-24-2011, 09:59 AM   #9
I am Hook'd on RS

they'll just put it under someone else name
whateverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabisashimi View Post
Pretty ignorant statement!

I agree the C-lais are stupid slowass drivers, but here in maple ridge/ Langley/Surrey, I see "non-c-lai drivers" who shouldn't be on the road, but they all have trucks and SUVs which is far more dangerous to drive without common road sense.
you remind me of the time a pick up truck driven by a white guy was speeding when the roads were iced up in richmond.
well I must say its mostly the new immigrants with absolutely shit driving skills are causing most havoc these days, especially those who got their license in China. one of my China new immigrant neighbor was able to knock over a spotlight lamp in his 7 series just from turning into the complex and wont admit it. I face palm I face palm.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:24 AM   #11
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
I've seen a Caddy CTS do a U turn and went to fast and the turn was wider then expected and he nailed the lamp post and instead of checking the damage he reversed and ran off. I was sitting at the left hand turn signal as this happend, me and my buddy where so dumbfounded we sat there for a few seconds in silence.
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:28 AM   #12
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoshiro View Post
you remind me of the time a pick up truck driven by a white guy was speeding when the roads were iced up in richmond.
well I must say its mostly the new immigrants with absolutely shit driving skills are causing most havoc these days, especially those who got their license in China. one of my China new immigrant neighbor was able to knock over a spotlight lamp in his 7 series just from turning into the complex and wont admit it. I face palm I face palm.
face palm your ass out of here

there are bad drivers in every race.
ImpactZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:32 AM   #13
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpactZ View Post
face palm your ass out of here

there are bad drivers in every race.
Yeah its called last place
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-24-2011, 10:35 AM   #14
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,064 Times in 555 Posts
but c lais drive more expensive cars
=
more expensive pay outs for insurance while c lais only pay deductable....

Cayenne bumper, S-class bumper =/= civic bumper or a F150 bumper xD
dark0821 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:39 AM   #15
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoh View Post
werd

i know too many ppl who claims injuries when they actually arent hurt

most common scenerio - get rear-ended, claim for neck stiffness, get free physiotherapy
dachinesedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachinesedude View Post
werd

most common scenerio - get rear-ended, claim for neck stiffness, get free physiotherapy
probably too many collision ads on tv for milking money out of the system
Old 03-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #17
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
That is not milking the system. You do get soft tissue damage, especially when people use those stupid cartoon pillow things.

People who are milking the system are usually people who have additional coverage from work AND a second out of the country residence. They get into an accident, claim permanent injury, say they can't work for life, then skip out of the country. Cheques keeps going to the injured party for life and insurance companies don't have jurisdiction or bother with monitoring the person who is not longer local.

ICBC payout is so meagre it is not worth milking it. However if your work has additional insurance it is another story, most typical is any unionized professionals like teachers etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachinesedude View Post
werd

godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:36 PM   #18
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
WHY THE FUCK ding everyone.. DING the fuckers who crash.... people who dont have accidents for 8+ years should have to pay for this shit
Old 03-24-2011, 01:09 PM   #19
RS controls my life!

ya raise it so they can make another 100 million profit like they make every F*((ing year
eurochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-24-2011, 01:26 PM   #20
RS.net Licensed Sponsor

Why am i not surprised

www.drivehard.ca
140/150 11351 Bridgeport Road
Richmond, BC
604-270-2494

Official dealers of : Volk Racing, Vossen wheels, Yokohama, Gram lights, KICS Project, Status Racing Seat, AMS tuning, KW Automotive, Work Wheel, VMR Wheel, Macht Schnell, Tein, Defi, Vishnu Tuning, HRE Wheel, MXP Exhaust, Vorsteiner, Varis, Arqray, Techart, Champion, Iforged, NEEZ Wheel
DHP 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:30 PM   #21
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoh View Post
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock View Post
Can't they just double the premiums for bad drivers?
Posted via RS Mobile
Doubling the premiums of a driver who rear ends someone won't make up for the payout to a single person claiming whiplash. Remember, it's not the people causing the accident that are milking the system. It's the people who get hit who are costing ICBC money.

If an honest driver (many years clean driving record) makes a mistake and rear ends someone in a low speed crash, and the victim makes a claim for an injury that didn't occur, then who do you punish? The driver or the fucking POS scammer milking ICBC for everything he can get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
ICBC payout is so meagre it is not worth milking it. However if your work has additional insurance it is another story, most typical is any unionized professionals like teachers etc.
Really. Do you know anything about how much money ICBC pays out for insurance claims? Almost 50% of ICBC's expenses go to claims made from minor speed rear end accidents where the party who gets hit claims whiplash. Everything else - collision repairs, rehabilitation/medical expenses for serious accidents, payouts for deaths caused by accidents, stolen vehicles, vanadalism and so on - these make up the other 50%.

There are a lot of organized insurance scams going on in The Lower Mainland (ICBC busted one ring recently). Basically they involve a car with 4 people who stop suddenly in front of another driver, then claim whiplash from the resulting collision. Usually they have "blocking" drivers in other cars to help stage the accident and prevent the targeted vehicle from changing lanes to avoid the accident. They also offer their details to act as "witnesses" for the poor "victims". Insurance fraud wouldn't exist if it wasn't profitable (and if ICBC didn't pay out much it wouldn't be worth their trouble).
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:45 PM   #22
Banned By Establishment

insurance fraud is nothing new, there always has been, and always will be, some degree of fraud.

icbc should look into cutting operating costs before jacking up rates. but because they're a monopoly, they can jack up rates all they want without having to worry about staying competitive.
BNR32_Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-24-2011, 11:02 PM   #23
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark0821 View Post
but c lais drive more expensive cars
=
more expensive pay outs for insurance while c lais only pay deductable....

Cayenne bumper, S-class bumper =/= civic bumper or a F150 bumper xD
actually, from my POV, I would give some credit to the C lais
for no offense,
1. they are paying a lot more $$$$ to the Damn ICBC since they are driving luxi cars and claim their CRISP bumperS.
BTW, who is going to cost more $$$ for medical treatments, ppl in S-class or civc?common sense, medical treatments and other oppotunitiy costs can cost N bumpers, and N can be large if ppl likely pass away..lol..
2. What you are expecting to ur mum's driving skill?
3. Well,the C laid has a good car w/ high techs stuff(rear view camera..etc). How about other lais? I believe racsim is Not welcome.
Just wanna point out, plz be fair.... and u got ur lower handle..XD..
Peter Russel: Be a man~!
ME: Drive safely
eythappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:40 AM   #24
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
All insurance / banking industry is susceptible to fraud. That's part of their business and honestly is build into their business plan.

I would qualify my statement: For individuals who are involved in an legitimate accident. Just trying to "scam" the ICBC alone for soft tissue damage etc the payoff is honestly relatively small. When you consider occupations with large unions eg health care workers, teachers etc or professional societies like law, engineers all have out of work insurance that cover up to 80-90% of their loss wages as part of their annual dues and contributions.. Those are the mother lode and way more attractive to defraud. Often institutions like universities and hospitals also purchase additional policies as benefits for their senior level staff too.

My aunt used to car pool with an acquaintance daily to one of the largest hospitals in the valley, they are hospital administrators. About a decade ago, they were rear ended, they all were sore and had soft tissue damage. They claimed loss of work via their unions and the hospital policies. This acquaintance subsequently left the country and last my aunt heard, she is still claiming loss of work insurance (she knows because the insurance company's adjuster still bugs her a few times a year about the acquaintance's whereabouts) and she is still technically hired by Fraser Health but marked on medical leave on the roster. As long as you show up to your doctor as per the policy and get the doctor to get the paperwork filed, the loss of work insurance keeps paying. The type of payout of this is way larger than any ICBC claim payout will be.

(Just imagine when the elimination of mandatory retirement kicks in after the next election!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post
Exactly.
Really. Do you know anything about how much money ICBC pays out for insurance claims? Almost 50% of ICBC's expenses go to claims made from minor speed rear end accidents where the party who gets hit claims whiplash. Everything else - collision repairs, rehabilitation/medical expenses for serious accidents, payouts for deaths caused by accidents, stolen vehicles, vanadalism and so on - these make up the other 50%.

There are a lot of organized insurance scams going on in The Lower Mainland (ICBC busted one ring recently). Basically they involve a car with 4 people who stop suddenly in front of another driver, then claim whiplash from the resulting collision. Usually they have "blocking" drivers in other cars to help stage the accident and prevent the targeted vehicle from changing lanes to avoid the accident. They also offer their details to act as "witnesses" for the poor "victims". Insurance fraud wouldn't exist if it wasn't profitable (and if ICBC didn't pay out much it wouldn't be worth their trouble).

Last edited by godwin; 03-25-2011 at 04:21 AM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:39 AM   #25
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
^some assholes do that at my work. annoys the shit out of me.

I look ont he guys facebook and he's in india. Some other idiot has been on wcb for 3 years for hitting his fucking knee on a bench.

FUCK SURREY.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote