REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-25-2011, 09:29 AM   #1
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

OBD2 plug in camera?

Anyone know if something like this exists?

What I'm looking for is a camera you can stick in your car, with two cameras, one forward, one back (into the cabin). I want it to plug into the OBD2 for power and draw the vehicle speed, throttle position, etc from the PCM/BCM.

I know about DriveCam, but doesn't pull the data from the OBD port. Has to be hardwired, and it's horrendously expensive. I don't want to sign up for a contract to service this thing. I want to be able to access the data myself.

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 03-25-2011, 09:57 AM   #2
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

to pull that kind of data from the OBD2 port, I think it would have to depend on car. I don't know if you can get that type of data off every car's ECU.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:04 AM   #3
Get Money, Get Paid

Thanked 1,264 Times in 262 Posts
What is the need for the camera? For recording your drive?

If you don't need the camera, you can use a Scan Tool OBD Link, plugged into your laptop to access data from the port.
Volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-25-2011, 05:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by death_blossom View Post
to pull that kind of data from the OBD2 port, I think it would have to depend on car. I don't know if you can get that type of data off every car's ECU.
That's the beauty of the OBD2 interface - it is a standardized connector. There are only five possible communication protocols being used, and all cars in North America have CAN bus since 2008... so the data is readily available. The pins for power and ground are always pin 16 and 4, also standardized.

The cameras are for the drive, yes. I figured that would be pretty obvious. I know there are camera options out there that pull the vehicle speed, other inputs (ie. siren, horn used in police cars). I could go with a Digital Ally system, but I figured I would look for something plug and play if it exists.

Maybe it doesn't exist yet. Perhaps I should patent it
Old 03-25-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

^
ah. so you are saying that every communication protocols used will record all of the driver's input to the vehicle? that's really cool.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
http://www.blitz.co.jp/touch-brain/index.html

use this and point 1 of the 2 cameras you have at the screen. Done deal.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
http://www.blitz.co.jp/touch-brain/index.html

use this and point 1 of the 2 cameras you have at the screen. Done deal.
Then I would need three cameras
Old 03-25-2011, 11:05 PM   #8
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

i'm sure its possible but most likely hasnt been done yet.

obd2 - bluetooth which will sync with your android phone and feed it real time info. (torque app).... i'm sure if that can be done, an app can be made to utilize the camera to record video AND populate that real time info from the obd2 while recording.
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:28 PM   #9
racing & tech mod.

Most data aq systems use a CAN/RS232 connector (because most serious data logging is used for racecars, and most racecars use some sort of aftermarket ECU)

You can simply get an ODB2 to RS232 adaptor cable and run pretty much any data logging system.

AIM is the top end of affordable software/hardware for semipro/pro motorsports:
http://www.aimsports.com/auto/index.html

There's stuff cheaper than AIM that works ok too. Just google "data logging camera overlay"
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:18 AM   #10
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
I would suggest product from Race Technology, they support up to 4 cameras. All "off the self solutions" are expensive.

http://www.race-technology.com/conte...cat=8&cat=7557

For DIY, I suggest pulling OBD2 data and piping the data to a text file along with GPS time data. Get one of the many ARM7 prototype boards available, they all have SDcard for storage and RS232 for GPS and OBD data (I highly recommend you to avoid USB to grab data from both due to unnecessary complexity). The result will be a record OBD2 data relative to the GPS time.

Use the GPS time on your video's time index. You can then join video and OB2 data, post process (after the run) using the GPS time stamp as index. The problem is you have to find a camera model that has time resolution higher than seconds. Most off the shelf cameras that don't have geotagging feature only have time resolution down to the second.

Also make sure you warm up the GPS units before you record, so that everything is synchronized and nothing is drifting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
Anyone know if something like this exists?

What I'm looking for is a camera you can stick in your car, with two cameras, one forward, one back (into the cabin). I want it to plug into the OBD2 for power and draw the vehicle speed, throttle position, etc from the PCM/BCM.

I know about DriveCam, but doesn't pull the data from the OBD port. Has to be hardwired, and it's horrendously expensive. I don't want to sign up for a contract to service this thing. I want to be able to access the data myself.

Thanks

Last edited by godwin; 03-26-2011 at 01:03 AM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:33 AM   #11
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
That picture is rather misleading.. the connection from OBD2 to a PC is not pin to pin straight through.. these cables as illustrated DB9 -> OBD2, are available on the market but do not plug the car into your PC as is. It will burn your serial port to crisp. You need some type of bridge logic. The DB9 -> OBD2 cables are typically used by Chinese manufactures who are selling cloned copies of Carsoft diagnostic software.

Racecars who use aftermarket ECU (eg Motec) typically uses Mil spec, plug and twist connectors though. OBD2 comes loose rather easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Sandor View Post
Most data aq systems use a CAN/RS232 connector (because most serious data logging is used for racecars, and most racecars use some sort of aftermarket ECU)

You can simply get an ODB2 to RS232 adaptor cable and run pretty much any data logging system.

AIM is the top end of affordable software/hardware for semipro/pro motorsports:
http://www.aimsports.com/auto/index.html

There's stuff cheaper than AIM that works ok too. Just google "data logging camera overlay"

Last edited by godwin; 03-26-2011 at 12:48 AM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:46 AM   #12
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
This is going to be difficult for so many reasons.

- OBD2 is limited. It's designed as a standard interface to allow generic aftermarket scan tools to easily see what's going on with your car when there's a problem (like reading codes). It will let you look at a list of standardized sensors, not all the sensors you might actually have on your vehicle.
- OBD2 is powertrain/engine only. You can't get any sensor information from ABS or the transmission (unless the transmission is integrated with the engine ECU). Although most manufacturers can access the entire vehicle through the OBD2 connector, they are doing it with specialized software and protocols.
- OBD2 is slow. And the update rate will get slower with an increase in the number of sensors.

If I wanted to do it cheaply, this is how I'd go about it:

- Get an inexpensive OBD2 software package that runs on Windows and can do data logging/graphing (Autoenginuity is one, and it can access vehicle specific sensors beyond the OBD2 spec).
- Get a camera system that allows multiple USB cameras to be connected to your laptop.
- Arrange and size the windows for the cameras and the data logging on your laptop screen so they look good and are readable.
- Use a screen capture video package to turn the entire contents of your laptop screen into a video. This last one I know exists, but haven't used them so some research/testing would need to be done to see how well they can capture videos playing in a window.
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote