REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 03-28-2011, 05:41 PM   #1
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 3,712 Times in 467 Posts
UBC Summer Semester

Hi, does anybody know how UBC calculates the core average of a course you retake during summer? I want to retake a course I got 64 in, if I get 80 during summer would my grade end up being 72 + three other core courses divided by four? Or would it be 64+80+ 3 other core courses divided by five?
UBC is ing me so I decided to ask my fellow RSers.
Thanks!
Advertisement

Last edited by Zoidberg; 03-28-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:48 AM   #2
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

summer semester is considered as part-time studies

will not calculate winter session average
Y2K_o__o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:07 AM   #3
I subscribe to Revscene

From Arts' website.

The grade you received in the course will always count toward your overall average; you cannot replace the grade by repeating the course.

Which means:
1. You can go ahead and register for that 64% course, but no matter what you get, you're stuck with 64%. You also wont get the 3 or 4 credits with it. Which means you are wasting your time and money.
2. Summer courses count towards your sessional average AND your overall average. It will also show up in your official transcript. Don't take summer courses lightly. If you get less than 55% and have a few summer courses, you could be in academic probation.

Although #1 is true, I have seen instances where exceptions can be made. If you have a valid reason, talk to your adviser. Chances are you can repeat it and replace with a higher grade.

Last edited by rageguy; 03-29-2011 at 01:14 AM.
rageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2011, 10:20 AM   #4
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
The way I understand it is if you take the same course again in summer it'll just add to your average but won't cancel the 64. Say you got an 80 in the retake, its now (64 + 80)/2.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

The 2nd one: 64+80+other 3 divided by 5.

Can I ask you why you are trying to retake the course tho? Graduate with distinction? GPA for Masters?
Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2011, 01:17 PM   #6

Thanks everyone! Can anyone confirm on either Energy or Riddle's answer?

I'm doing this so I can hopefully boost my GPA up before my transfer to Commerce. Is this advisable?
Old 03-29-2011, 01:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr_slayerz_ View Post
Thanks everyone! Can anyone confirm on either Energy or Riddle's answer?

I'm doing this so I can hopefully boost my GPA up before my transfer to Commerce. Is this advisable?
Which faculty r u in? My friend tried to switch from engineering to Commerce. Had an average of 83 but got rejected.

If you want to just boost ur GPA, I recommend taking an easier course than repeating the same one.

UBC Arts:
http://www.arts.ubc.ca/students/acad...-a-course.html
"The grade you received in the course will always count toward your overall average; you cannot replace the grade by repeating the course.
It's rarely advised to repeat a course, unless you need it to meet a requirement or you're very keen to master the subject, and are aware that you will not receive credit for it again, and that the grade cannot be replaced."

UBC Science:
http://www.science.ubc.ca/students/degree/courses
"If you pass a course in UBC Science you will not be able to repeat the course for higher standing."
Old 03-29-2011, 02:37 PM   #8

I'm in arts, 83? Lol that's crazy, maybe it was his supplemental.

I'm planning to take math 184 in the summer because I took math 180 in first semester and didn't do so well. Should I do it?
Old 03-29-2011, 02:52 PM   #9

Quote:
I'm in arts, 83? Lol that's crazy, maybe it was his supplemental.

I'm planning to take math 184 in the summer because I took math 180 in first semester and didn't do so well. Should I do it?
If you're confident in your Math, sure. Since you already took 180, you already have a good knowledge for 184 but it'll still require some work to be able to do well in that course. I was just looking at the finals for both the courses and they're fairly similar.
Explore your options nevertheless. There might be an easier course. I took supplement courses like Philosophy and Economics to boost my GPA. Never considered Math cause we had to take at least one every year anyways.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2011, 05:02 PM   #10

The reason I want to take math 184 is because it's a bit easier than the math 180 that I took and I know I can do a lot better (plus it's dragging my average down quite a lot). Do you think the UBC Commerce advisors would take into account my summer school grade? Because the deadline for final transcripts is June 30th and the summer class ends on June 15th.
Thanks
Old 03-29-2011, 06:55 PM   #11

Quote:
The reason I want to take math 184 is because it's a bit easier than the math 180 that I took and I know I can do a lot better (plus it's dragging my average down quite a lot). Do you think the UBC Commerce advisors would take into account my summer school grade? Because the deadline for final transcripts is June 30th and the summer class ends on June 15th.
Thanks
I'd say just send them an email and ask. Rather than taking the course and finding out that they didn't consider your grade, it's better to know straight up.
This post thanked by: