REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-31-2011, 08:33 AM   #1
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Do I need to put younger brother on insurance?

Hi guys, I have a younger brother who just got his 'N', he does not have a car yet and I dont think he will be getting one anytime soon (takes transit to sfu)...anyways am I allowed to let him drive my car a few times a month without putting him on my insurance as a secondary driver? or should add him in?....I dont want any problems with icbc if something were to happen..

thanks
Advertisement
nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
NSX
NA1

Yes. Add him in. And depending on your own insurance, you may not be allowed to let anyone else without 10+ years of experience drive your car. Teach him some responsibility.
NSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:59 AM   #3
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,064 Times in 555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
Yes. Add him in. And depending on your own insurance, you may not be allowed to let anyone else without 10+ years of experience drive your car. Teach him some responsibility.
that rule just makes it so you get some extra discounts, adding him in will defn see some insurance hike of some sort, but it wont be much since I assume he will use is >5 times a month, let the autoplan broker know, I cant imagine your rate going up more than $50/month (dont quote me on this) and let your brother take care of the insurance "difference"? as for gas, I have no clue, but wow wish I had a big brother who didnt mind lending me a car when I got my N =D good for you OP
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:33 AM   #4
NNT
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

side question, I am in a similar scenario, lets say if his younger brother gets into accident, will the OP's insurance affected or his brother will carry the insurance surcharge in the future?
NNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,162 Posts
I think the op's insurance will go up until the younger brother insures another car. Then the penalty gets transferred.
Posted via RS Mobile
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:54 PM   #6
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Unless you have the 10+ year driving discount, you shouldn't be affected, as long as you are still the primary drive (i.e. use the car more than any other single individual).

Still, you should be contacting your autoplan broker.
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:45 PM   #7
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
As said above as long as the 10 year minimum driving restriction isn't on it (190$ discount) 2000$ fine if it is and he gets into an accident (ask me how i know )...it should be ok as long he doesn't drive it a lot...its just like if you were driving your parents car sometimes
Old 03-31-2011, 06:42 PM   #8
I'm invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNT View Post
side question, I am in a similar scenario, lets say if his younger brother gets into accident, will the OP's insurance affected or his brother will carry the insurance surcharge in the future?
The claim will usually affect the owner of the policy. However, if the owner cancels the insurance, the plate then becomes 'unattached'. Whomever takes out the first plate, the claim will attach to that plate.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:27 PM   #9
~~

It was over $200 when my mom added me b/c it was 2 months into the insured year (she has 10+ yrs discount)
Posted via RS Mobile
rien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:00 AM   #10
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

^
sounds like they just removed the 10 year driving experience discount.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:08 AM   #11
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthless View Post
As said above as long as the 10 year minimum driving restriction isn't on it (190$ discount) 2000$ fine if it is and he gets into an accident (ask me how i know )
How you know?
RevRav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:08 PM   #12

Seeing how everyone is saying that the OP should add his brother's name on the insurance, ICBC has ONLY asked me who the primary operator of the vehicle every time I renew my insurance (i.e 50.1%). I've been always been told ANYONE with my authorization can drive my car under my insurance policy as long as they do not operate the vehicle for more than 50% of the time.

My question is...can you actually add another driver under your insurance policy as a "secondary driver"? Do you actually NEED to add a "secondary driver"? If so, does it appear on your policy?
Old 04-01-2011, 09:23 PM   #13
I'm invisible

As of now, there's no such thing as a secondary driver. Its only the primary operator (po)- who will mainly drive the vehicle throughout the term.

In the future, there might be a possibility
Old 04-01-2011, 11:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison_Chen View Post
As of now, there's no such thing as a secondary driver. Its only the primary operator (po)- who will mainly drive the vehicle throughout the term.

Then what is everyone in this thread talking about?
Old 04-02-2011, 12:00 AM   #15
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison_Chen View Post

that's what i was told too
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:44 AM   #16
I'm invisible

I'm guessing the other thing people are talking about is on the insurance, there 5 specific rate classes for the 10 years driving experience.

Rate class 001: Pleasure Use only, maximum of 6 days a month for to/from work/school/business/delivery/artisan/ to work/school with public transportation

Rate class 002: Pleasure + To/from work/school over 15 km's, maximum of 6 days a month for business/artisan/delivery

Rate class 003: Pleasure + To/from work within 15 km's (each way), maximum of 6 days for over 15km's (work/school), business/delivery/artisan.

Rate clas 004: Pleausre + To/From work/school with public transportation (ie: park and ride), maximum of 6 days for business/artisan/delivery

Rate class 007: Pleasure + To/from Work (any distance) + Business use (ie: real estate agent), maximum of 6 days for delivery use

Artisan Rate class 012: Trade workers used to carry tools/equipment to a job site and works on site.

Now, as for the 10 years experience rate class, which everybody talks about is: if everybody in the 'same household'-who drive the vehicle- all have 10 years driving experience, they can change to the 10 years rate class on their insurance.

The 10 years rate class can be for 001/002/003/004/007. Therefore 001 -> 021; 002->022; 003-> 023; 004->024 and finally 007->027. These 10 years rate classes are cheaper than the non 10 yrs rate class. It can range anywhere from $60-$300 depending on vehicle, coverages, discount and etc.

For example: for rate class 021 would have the same requirements as above, and also add 10 years driving experience (in same household)

**Disclaimer: This is just an general explanation of the few popular rate classes people use. If you are unsure, please see an autoplan agent for more information**

Last edited by Edison_Chen; 04-02-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Edison_Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:59 PM   #17
Banned (ABWS)

one major thing is SAME HOUSEHOLD

meaning you can get your buddy to drive your moms car with the 10+ years experience and insurance won't be voided(straight from an adjuster)
baggdis300 is offline   Reply With Quote