REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-31-2011, 11:25 PM   #1
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

How would this situation be dealt with?

I've been a novice driver for quite a while now, and my parents are heading to Vietnam for 3 weeks.

Say during the time they're at Vietnam, I get myself into an accident with another vehicle..would the owner (parents) have to be called to deal with the situation? Or is there something I can do? We have insurance.

Help would be appreciated, thanks
Advertisement
HelloSir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:02 AM   #2
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
You can call and make the ICBC appointment (or even file on line). At the claim centre, the adjustor / rep will take your information.

Your parents will get a snail mail letter saying that a claim has been opened against them etc etc.

All the pertinent information ie if your name is not on the insurance, you are @ fault etc comes in another letter after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloSir View Post
I've been a novice driver for quite a while now, and my parents are heading to Vietnam for 3 weeks.

Say during the time they're at Vietnam, I get myself into an accident with another vehicle..would the owner (parents) have to be called to deal with the situation? Or is there something I can do? We have insurance.

Help would be appreciated, thanks

Last edited by godwin; 04-01-2011 at 01:08 AM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:09 PM   #3
Need my Daily Fix of RS

do you have a lot of accidents?? If not dont worry about it. Besides 3 weeks is nothing for a icbc claim. It took them months to deal with me being rear ended
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-01-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
?NR
MonoPod 1 of 3

Thanked 1,024 Times in 444 Posts
Before they leave for Vietnam, have them add your name onto the insurance as a secondary driver.

then you're good to go, just drive defensively.
?NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:07 AM   #5
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanks for the replies!

I have never gotten into any accidents; they're just worried I would get into one...and wouldn't know how to deal with the situation if it were to happen.
HelloSir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:22 AM   #6
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
go to your insurance broker, and as mentioned above, get them to add your name to the insurance name. while you're there, ask them for one of those "after accident" cards. in the case of an accident *knock on wood* you basically just fill that out. even has a few diagrams where you can draw out the accident, and has spaces to fill in all necessary info of both parties involved

good luck! if you need anything else you should speak directly to icbc
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:24 AM   #7
cho
sneaky beaky like

Thanked 4,512 Times in 638 Posts
Posted via RS Mobile
cho is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-02-2011, 12:45 AM   #8
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhall View Post
do you have a lot of accidents?? If not dont worry about it. Besides 3 weeks is nothing for a icbc claim. It took them months to deal with me being rear ended
what kind of stupid answer is this? They're called accidents for a fucking reason.

OP is just wondering in the off chance that he will get into an accident, what the precautions are. Good for him for thinking ahead.
Nechako87 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-04-2011, 02:33 AM   #9
Need to Seek Professional Help

i think OP is gonna drive the car without his parents knowing and if he crashed he would want to fix the car without his parents knowing...did i hit the spot ?
danizer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2011, 03:56 AM   #10
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nechako87 View Post
what kind of stupid answer is this? They're called accidents for a fucking reason.

OP is just wondering in the off chance that he will get into an accident, what the precautions are. Good for him for thinking ahead.

The OP lives in Burnaby. Unless he lives in Richmond on No. 3 road, I don't think he needs to take this precaution.

If you're going to think ahead for this, you might as well plan an emergency route when the roof cave in while you're a shit. Afterall, accidents happen, right?
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2011, 06:16 AM   #11
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

knowledge is power. If I was him, I'd rather know ahead of time..then having an accident and then running to RS to ask for help and having 60% flaming replies and the other 30% be something that doesn't even relate to the op. To many ignorant posters here....the posters of knowledgable people to idiots is like 1:23498
"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."
Supafly is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2011, 11:26 AM   #12
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
The main thing you want to make sure is that your added as a driver and that its not your fault Other than that you should be fine, unless you total the car and injure yourself :P
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:32 PM   #13
Banned (ABWS)

i thought there was no such thing as a secondary driver? just terms of insurance(ie, 10 years + experience or 25+)
baggdis300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:29 AM   #14
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggdis300 View Post
i thought there was no such thing as a secondary driver? just terms of insurance(ie, 10 years + experience or 25+)
if your not the primary driver and icbc finds out that you drive the car more than 50% of the month, they will not cover. to avoid this u add a secondary driver.

if this is the case for OP, just say that it was your one time driving this week, that u normally dont drive it but primary driver(parents prob) gave u permission to use it sometimes cuz they outta town, and it was for pleasure. this sentence will cover all bases if ur not on the insurance.
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:21 PM   #15
I'm invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeknerd View Post
if your not the primary driver and icbc finds out that you drive the car more than 50% of the month, they will not cover. to avoid this u add a secondary driver.

if this is the case for OP, just say that it was your one time driving this week, that u normally dont drive it but primary driver(parents prob) gave u permission to use it sometimes cuz they outta town, and it was for pleasure. this sentence will cover all bases if ur not on the insurance.
Its kinda debateable re: 50% of the month. Its usually phrased as "who is the main operator throughout the insurance term?" If there is a change in po midterm (partially in the term), it is not required for the owner to change po; however it is very important on renewal that the po is correctly declared for the upcoming term. I've seen cases where there is a breach in principal operator, and the owner was on the hook for the all damage.

If you want to be safe and change po during the term; the insurance must be cancelled, and must be new plated again. The brokers are able to wave a $30 cancellation fee that is associated, if the vehicle is replated right away.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:31 PM   #16
Banned (ABWS)

from what i was old by an adjuster if you drive it more than 3 days out of a week then you have to be the principal operator
baggdis300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:54 AM   #17
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
[QUOTE=Nechako87;7371961]what kind of stupid answer is this? They're called accidents for a fucking reason.

They are called "accidents" because people will not accept responsibility for their actions, or lack of them. Very few crashes are pure accidents and are not avoidable...99.999% are the result of somebody screwing up. The only accident comes from the innocent party not being able to avoid the crash...and often it could have been avoided by them doing proactive driving.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote