REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-02-2011, 03:10 AM   #1
Banned By Establishment

BMW's April Fools joke taken too far

It's April 2nd, kind of late i know, but BMW's prank was that they're making an M3 pick-up truck. rather than using CG to animate this concept, they actually went and built it (cuzz dey ballin')

BMW has really gone above and beyond with its April Fool’s Day joke this year. Not simply content to make up a story about a fanciful and unlikely vehicle, the normally reserved German company has actually gone and built its joke. Thus is born the M3 pickup truck—remember this the next time you’re tempted to say that Germans don’t have a sense of humor.

BMW warmed us up for this one, too, taking it’s M3 hauler out for a couple of tactical runs on the Nürburgring, making doubly certain that every spy photographer in Germany got a clear look.

We’re told that the M3 truck, complete with an aluminum diamond plate-lined bed, will carry 20 standard-sized golf bags. Maximum load capacity is 990 pounds and the truck bed offers the most cargo capacity of any BMW ever. In another first, the M3 pickup breaks new ground for the company with its trailer tow hitch. Oh, did we mention that the truck has got a targa top, as well?

The Bavarians may be joking with this offering, but can you honestly tell us that you wouldn’t at least consider it? This is America after all.

Check out the full BMW press release below.

Unique: BMW M GmbH develops the world’s fastest pickup. Drive and suspension technology from the BMW M3 – comprehensive testing completed on the Nürburgring-Nordschleife – 420 hp and 450 kg load capacity – world premiere on 1 April 2011.

Munich. Following the BMW M3 Coupé, BMW M3 Convertible and
BMW M3 Sedan, a fourth body variant of this globally successful high-performance sports car is about to cause a stir. Under the strictest secrecy, the world’s first high-performance pickup has been created at the BMW M GmbH development centre. The sportiest example by far in this vehicle category, the BMW M3 Pickup will fire the imaginations of all motorists with a deep appreciation of top performance matched by a keen practical bent. 309 kW/420 hp under the bonnet and a rear-axle load capacity of up to 450 kilos take the hallmark.

BMW M relationship between race-oriented driving pleasure and everyday utility to an entirely new level. This unique vehicle has already completed extensive test and set-up drives on the Nürburgring’s Nordschleife in advance of its global unveiling on 1 April 2011.

With this vehicle, BMW M GmbH once again furnishes evidence of its exceptional competence in developing and building high-grade, individual dream cars. With a high-revving V8 engine at the front, a generously sized load area behind and a removable Targa roof above, driver and passengers in the BMW M3 Pickup will relish an unprecedented take on the familiar M feeling. Yet this spectacular new development is unmistakably recognisable as a member of the BMW M3 model family. Corroborating this kinship are not just the inimitable power of the engine, but also fine-tuned aerodynamics and a tailored suspension set-up. Measurements in the wind tunnel at the

BMW Group’s Aerodynamic Test Centre showed a Cd factor on a par with that of the BMW M3 Coupé. Like every

BMW M model, the BMW M3 Pickup has also demonstrated its dynamic potential on the North Loop of the Nürburgring. Official lap times have not yet been released, but the needle in the dial vouched for a top speed of 300 km/h.

The kerb weight of the world’s fastest pickup undercuts that of the
BMW M3 Convertible by around 50 kilograms. Removing the Targa roof shaves off a further 20 kg while at the same time lowering the car’s centre of gravity. This most unusual experience of top-down driving pleasure in a BMW M3 thus goes hand in hand with further optimised dynamic handling.

The practical features of the BMW M3 Pickup are no less impressive. Maximum load capacity has been raised to 450 kilograms. The load bed of the
BMW M3 Pickup is clad in high-grade structured aluminium sheeting and provides the biggest cargo capacity ever offered on a BMW M vehicle. In terms of the unit of measurement generally applied to premium automobiles, that gives the loading area of the BMW M3 Pickup the capacity to carry up to 20 standard 46-inch golf bags. What’s more, the BMW M3 Pickup is the first BMW M3 variant in the
25-year-plus history of this model range to come with a trailer tow hitch.

Notwithstanding these unquestionable stand-out qualities, the BMW M3 Pickup will not be heading for the golf course or series development, but will retain its status as an exclusive one-off. It is earmarked for use as a workshop transport vehicle for BMW M GmbH. With this in mind, the current BMW M3 Pickup – unlike a similar predecessor built back in the 1980s – has gone through the requisite procedures to earn its road certification. Which makes it officially a truck – but one that puts a whole new spin on the meaning of the word.

http://networkedblogs.com/g8rxB

http://www.windingroad.com/photos/ga...-m3-pickup/#20
Advertisement
BNR32_Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-02-2011, 03:13 AM   #2
Banned By Establishment

Dr. Norbert Reithofer, CEO of BMW

Dodge CEO, Ralph Gilles, not impressed.

Last edited by BNR32_Coupe; 04-02-2011 at 03:23 AM.
BNR32_Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 03:35 AM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
they can at least make the rear a real tailgate lol. If I were them I'd extend the wheel base or at least extend the bed length a bit just for authentic Maroo like treatment

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:46 AM   #4
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
BMW can put their badge on a pile of horse shit and they'll find customers willing to pay.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-02-2011, 09:22 AM   #5
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Dean View Post
BMW can put their badge on a pile of horse shit and they'll find customers willing to pay.
Hey, Apple does that.. i think they have the Copyright for that
Old 04-02-2011, 09:30 AM   #6
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Well the horse shit would probably have RWD, and 50/50 weight dist.
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:22 AM   #7
I am on the internets

not the first time. M made an E30 M3 pickup truck as well a numbers of years ago.
maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-02-2011, 10:30 AM   #8
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Would sell in Australia
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:37 AM   #9
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Whats cool about april fools is that it gives companies a chance to experiment with something wild that could potentially become a reality.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:10 PM   #10
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
it's a M series vehicle. there's no reason folks wouldn't pay for it. just because most folks, (myself included) can't afford it, doesn't mean that it isn't an amazing piece of work.

having driven a few ford lightnings, a fast pickup is alot of fun. i imagine a bmw take on that would be fanfuckingtastic.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:14 PM   #11
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

that's pretty cool
shows that bmw have a sense of humor eh
Old 04-02-2011, 01:05 PM   #12
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Very cool project. There's a big market for "utes" in Australia.
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #13
Banned (ABWS)

i'd buy one lol
baggdis300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:03 PM   #14
Certified Troll: Access Removed

Love it!
Ineedmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:45 PM   #15
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
didn't we see pics of them testing one not too long back? or was that a privately owned one
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:18 PM   #16
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
^ read the article again.

2nd paragraph under the picture
Old 04-02-2011, 09:41 PM   #17
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,647 Times in 2,303 Posts
thats preety sick
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote