REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 04-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #26
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
I'm just curious to know what you ate at Ebisu to incur the "shitty food" label so I can work it over with my chefs and improve them, but I know it's impossible to please everyone, least I can do is try to meet the refined standards of fellow Revsceners such as yourself.
Prices are very competitive and pretty standard for a Robson area downtown location with expensive rent. Definitely better value then places like Hapa which cost roughly the same at half the portions.
Obsideon, it's been on my list for a while to visit Ebisu. Would you care to briefly explain what you see as Ebisu's position in the market and what kind of level of service and food it should be delivering?
I have noticed that you mention keeping up standards and such a few times now, I'm no professional restaurant critic by any long shot, but maybe if I show up cold then I could give you back some useful critique?

I've got an interest in food and restaurants but I've never worked in the industry. Even if what i tell you is stuff you already know, maybe you'd be able to educate me a little?
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2011, 02:40 PM   #27
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFonz View Post
Well to be fair, I'd rather eat at Ebisu than Earl's because Earl's is fucking garbage.

The rolls are one thing that Ebisu does ok in. Your fish tacos are decent as well. Drink specials are good as are your oyster specials.

Here's what I have had problems with when I have gone in the past:

Your chicken wings taste like cardboard. I understand that for $5.55, you can't do much, but fuck, they are some of the worst wings ever. Raise the prices if you need to to increase the quality.

Your potato butter. I've made the mistake of ordering it twice now and each time, it's come out COLD. Cold potatoes with cold cheese is disgusting. I wanted to send that shit back and raise a fuss, but the people I was with didn't which is why I didn't bitch more.

Your Ton Toro. This could entirely be a question of taste, but Guu's is more tender and tastes a hell of a lot better. Oh and sizzling hot plate? Mine sure as hell wasn't sizzling when I got it.

BBQ Short ribs - At your price point, this dish stinks. It's no different from the crap that you would get at an all you can eat place. Only difference is that at an all you can eat place, I can pay $12 and get as much of that garbage as I want. You want to improve it? First off, stop serving the dish cold. Second, less fricking sauce. The dish tastes more like sauce than ribs. Third, get thicker cuts of ribs. Yours are anemic.

Asari Pasta - your chef needs to learn to make a sauce. This dish is gross and this is coming from someone who LIKES rich cream sauces.
Thank you DaFonz!
Honest constructive feedback that gives me room to work with rather then a generic "Food suxoRZZ". That's why I love the RS community
Copy and pasting this in an anonymous word document then shoving it in my chef's face!
We will work diligently to improve on the above mentioned dishes and then some so that I really hope your next experience won't be anything of the like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post
Obsideon, it's been on my list for a while to visit Ebisu. Would you care to briefly explain what you see as Ebisu's position in the market and what kind of level of service and food it should be delivering?
I have noticed that you mention keeping up standards and such a few times now, I'm no professional restaurant critic by any long shot, but maybe if I show up cold then I could give you back some useful critique?

I've got an interest in food and restaurants but I've never worked in the industry. Even if what i tell you is stuff you already know, maybe you'd be able to educate me a little?
Our position in the market is to try to be different and stand out amongst the masses. There's just way too many restaurants in Vancouver doing the same thing, what we try to offer is a (hopefully) good blend of styles that would appeal to everyone. Where else can you catch the Vancouver Canucks on a full HD 15 foot big screen while enjoying very afforddable and creative drink specials and munching on food ranging from standard pub fare (nachos, wings) to speciality Japanese dishes brought in by our authentic Japanese chefs with 20+ years experience.

Competition is fierce around here and with the new HST and uber strict drinking + driving laws, business has been difficult. I honestly work to try and improve every aspect of the restaurant although I understand nobody is perfect but hey it doesn't hurt to strive for it every once in a while

"Dream as if you will live forever, Live as if tomorrow will be your last." ~ James Dean

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." ~ Ferdinand Porsche

There is no substitute.

History
1982 Toyota Corolla
2000 Honda SiR
2002 Lexus IS300
1989 Honda Civic
1986 Toyota AE86 頭文字 (イニシャル) D
2000 Porsche 996
2015 Cayman S
Current
2017 Boxter 718
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #28
Fabulous Rugby Quad Sports Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
Thank you DaFonz!
Honest constructive feedback that gives me room to work with rather then a generic "Food suxoRZZ". That's why I love the RS community
Copy and pasting this in an anonymous word document then shoving it in my chef's face!

Our position in the market is to try to be different and stand out amongst the masses. There's just way too many restaurants in Vancouver doing the same thing, what we try to offer is a (hopefully) good blend of styles that would appeal to everyone. Where else can you catch the Vancouver Canucks on a full HD 15 foot big screen while enjoying very afforddable and creative drink specials and munching on food ranging from standard pub fare (nachos, wings) to speciality Japanese dishes brought in by our authentic Japanese chefs with 20+ years experience.

Competition is fierce around here and with the new HST and uber strict drinking + driving laws, business has been difficult. I honestly work to try and improve every aspect of the restaurant although I understand nobody is perfect but hey it doesn't hurt to strive for it every once in a while
I'm leaning towards going to Ebisu, especially since you took the time as one of the higher ups up at the restaurant to actually come and take a look at feedback you've received. It's just up to my family on whether or not they want to go.

I'll hit it up myself with my brother later on this month (I can't really pass up your Happy Hour prices) if my family chooses not to go to Ebisu. I already pitched the idea to them, with those good prices on the rolls as a selling point.
RacingMetro92 is offline   Reply With Quote