REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Relationship & Gender Discussion

Relationship & Gender Discussion THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The thin line between love and hate
Mature discussion about understanding the opposite sex...

Old 04-04-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Friends dissapearing the moment they meet someone

I'm sure we all have friends like that. You know the kind; one minute you guys are drinking together, taking each others' money in Texas Hold'em, lifting weights, going hiking, crashing and burning with women and generally doing stupid shit. You feel you're going to be young forever, and the Bromance is in full swing, until the inevitable happens: one of the bar-stars you picked up suddenly becomes a stage 4 clinger, and your buddy folds like a house of cards. He becomes enamored by the pussy bear trap that she has now sprung, and your buddy goes the way of The Jonas Brothers' career.

For the next few months the only contact you have with him are through facebook or occasional text messages pertaining to random things. At your usual drunken outgoings, you're a man short, and the lost-one's name is only brought up in conversation followed by "Is he still going out with whatsherface?" "Fuck, she's got his balls in a vice."
I am proud to say that I have never been the guy to completely dissapear when I meet a girl. I still keep my friendship and my relationship running in parallel and I expect her to do the same. She doesn't have to drag me to her girls nights outs and I don't expect her to come out to UFC nights. If you had made prior arrangements with your friends, then by all means keep them- such is my philosophy. Anyways, one of my friends just recently fell into the pussy Bermuda triangle, and I expect to see him again sometime in November.

white_guilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:15 PM   #2
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

wasnt there a thread about this already? but yes this happens to everyone its just that you should always try to have time for buddies... its hard but its part of growing up.
Nvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
VLS Head Mod

But ufc is fun to go to... I hate when people ditch their friends for a boyf/girlf, you can still have your independant time alone or do a group thing and bring both along
Posted via RS Mobile
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:49 PM   #4
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
eventually, people grow up and part ways. It is only natural since as we get older, we look for a suitable partner to start a family with. It isn't until we get even older into our mid years that we are able to join back with our old friends. Naturally, we will want to look for a partner and keep them with us, and as we start a family, our time will be focussed on our families and our career, leaving no time for friends. Much like our death, eventually our friends will disappear as we age into our senior years. Enjoy every moment you have with your friend, because they will be the only moments in your life and you will not be able to go back to it.

However, that does not mean that friends should disappear entirely from our lives. In our times of distress, friends may be the only cure. Go ask them out for a coffee, or host a party at your house to reconnect with all your friends.

I truly believe that every single moment should be treasured in our lives, and don't lose contact with that good friend from elementary school. It was the biggest mistake of my life. Being an elementary school butt buddy, my first true friend on the first day of kindergarten, i remembered him years later only to find out he died from a car crash. Don't let that mistake happen to you.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-04-2011, 10:19 PM   #5
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
we part ways but people value things differently and people like this... i just sit back and just relax.

I'm sure we all have done the high school gay ass move where we just involve ourselves FULLY into the other's circle. I've made my mistake and I won't ever do it again.

I like my guy time, i like hanging out with my own friends and it took me a long time to establish, i won't trade it for a girl.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:09 AM   #6
RS controls my life!

Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Just because you're a couple now doesn't mean you're not individuals anymore. I find fights and break-ups happen a lot more often with couples are who just too "integrated".

Guy/Girls night out are a way for people to sort out their feelings with someone other than their SO, don't ditch that, you'll regret it in the longterm. Same goes for your hobbies, contacts, and other interests - it's what made you intriguing enough for your girl/guy in the first place, don't change!
JDMStyo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2011, 01:13 PM   #7
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

I have a friend who dissapeared after he got a gf. He only calls me when his girlfriend lets him off her leash but if she needs him while we're chillin. He bounces right away
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:37 PM   #8
Da Vinci's real masterpiece: The Mona Diesel

I was one of those dudes who dropped everyone with my ex. Then when I was SOL I was alone in my shit. While I think it is important to spend a lot of time with your SO, you need balance so that you that you do not negelect either.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:32 PM   #9
Banned (ABWS)

some guys just have a harder time getting pussy than others, let him enjoy it
liu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:17 PM   #10
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
eventually, people grow up and part ways. It is only natural since as we get older, we look for a suitable partner to start a family with. It isn't until we get even older into our mid years that we are able to join back with our old friends. Naturally, we will want to look for a partner and keep them with us, and as we start a family, our time will be focussed on our families and our career, leaving no time for friends. Much like our death, eventually our friends will disappear as we age into our senior years. Enjoy every moment you have with your friend, because they will be the only moments in your life and you will not be able to go back to it.

However, that does not mean that friends should disappear entirely from our lives. In our times of distress, friends may be the only cure. Go ask them out for a coffee, or host a party at your house to reconnect with all your friends.

I truly believe that every single moment should be treasured in our lives, and don't lose contact with that good friend from elementary school. It was the biggest mistake of my life. Being an elementary school butt buddy, my first true friend on the first day of kindergarten, i remembered him years later only to find out he died from a car crash. Don't let that mistake happen to you.
Words of wisdom to live by.
white_guilt is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2011, 10:31 AM   #11
'

Thanked 6,557 Times in 1,111 Posts
alot of my friends dissapeared even though they dont have a gf/bf. it happens really randomly.. ALOT of my friends dissapeared once they got into university. friends come and go i guess
Old 04-07-2011, 11:04 AM   #12
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by 737! View Post
alot of my friends dissapeared even though they dont have a gf/bf. it happens really randomly.. ALOT of my friends dissapeared once they got into university. friends come and go i guess
Sounds like they got buried by the books rather than just flat out disappeared
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-08-2011, 10:29 AM   #13
Glorious Gaming PC Master Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsunu View Post
I was one of those dudes who dropped everyone with my ex. Then when I was SOL I was alone in my shit. While I think it is important to spend a lot of time with your SO, you need balance so that you that you do not negelect either.
real friends take you back with no issues.

once you have kids tho, holy fuck......
Old 04-08-2011, 10:40 AM   #14
Da Vinci's real masterpiece: The Mona Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo E View Post
real friends take you back with no issues.

once you have kids tho, holy fuck......
Really it was a combination of things that made us drift apart. Being fresh out of HS, going to different Universities, etc. But it is like instantneedles said, it is just people taking divergent paths in life. Its just that social isolation excellerated the process. In the end, I take 100% responsibility for what had happened in the past and hope to learn from it going forward in life.

But kids though, whole different story. I assume it is like a whole paradigm shift where your attentions and needs become more and more focused on your offspring rather than social connections (not to say that they are absent entirely).
Old 04-08-2011, 10:51 AM   #15
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
i guess its my own fault losing contact with friends, not wanting to go out or getting to addicted playing games, and waiting up for the gf to pick her up so i know she is ok after a night of clubbing. a friend came back from doing service over seas and it was a blast spending time with him and other friends, just catching up remembering old times, to bad he only stayed for 2 weeks.

it hard to connect with friends if they dont make some effort back

i miss the old days
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:09 AM   #16
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,815 Times in 341 Posts
white guilt.. i like your writing style.

2018 Golf R MK7.5 (Daily)
2001 S2000 (Weekend Warrior)
1991 Merc 300 TE-24 AMG Estate - Sold
2005 STi - Sold
1987 AE86 GTS - Sold
1986 AE86 GTS - Sold
gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2011, 12:42 AM   #17
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Usually if someone (a "good friend") completely disappears on me as soon as they hook up, then only wanna hang out suddenly after a breakup, I usually tell them to get lost. I'm not saying that it's always "bros before hos" or whatever (which is also stupid), but it's a balance. If you're going to ditch your friends the second some girl shows up, don't expect your friends to drop everything for you if you're suddenly in a bind. It shows that your friend obviously does not see you as a good friend either, so why treat him/her as such?

With that said, all of my taken friends still leave some time here for the group. Sure it's not as much as when they're single, but they definitely don't keep their friends around as "something to do when the SO is busy".

Any guy who is completely whipped needs a swift kick in the butt. Does anyone know anyone in such a situation where the relationship actually lasts? Everyone I know who's ever gotten into something like this ALWAYS eventually gets dumped by the girl anyways. It's a nice and fast way to lose the girl's (and your own) respect.
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:27 AM   #18
Retired moderator

I know someone whose the exact opposite. They disappear the moment they are single. This is a guy I"m talking about.

girl@revscene.net

girlはラップダンスをしたことがありません
Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:28 AM   #19
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

^ I dare not ask what this guy does during his "single" time..?
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:21 AM   #20
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

^ Emo mode??? or time to get his shit together before going back out to enjoy the world.

Atm, I'm single and honestly, I'm trying to get my shit together before I hit up another gf....can't have a stressful lifestyle and enjoy spending fresh time with a potential gf....
"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."
Supafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:05 AM   #21
Banned (ABWS)

My fiancee is my best friend. Thats the way it should be.

I believe another problem is how both man and woman have to work these days to make good money. So with both people working, and spending time together, that pretty much cuts out friends all together. 1) wife 2) work 3) friends.... unfortunately in that order.

then some day 1) kids 2) wife 3) work 4) friends
Walperstyle is offline   Reply With Quote