REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Fashion & Shopping (https://www.revscene.net/forums/fashion-shopping_34/)
-   -   Local Dry Cleaning Recommendations (https://www.revscene.net/forums/642009-local-dry-cleaning-recommendations.html)

mickz 04-04-2011 08:54 PM

Local Dry Cleaning Recommendations

Anyone have a recommended spot they take their suits for a dry cleaning? I've never gone to one before and I'm assuming there's going to be certain stores to avoid as well. Vancouver/Burnaby area would be a plus.

taylor192 07-26-2011 10:23 AM

Bump, come on, members must have some good recommendations. I find the places I've tried in Kits are over priced, looking for a deal since I want to get ~10 pieces (pants, shirts) done.

PJ 07-26-2011 10:49 AM

I've always gone to the one in the IGA plaza on Main and.... I wanna say 13th?
I never had a problem with them..

taylor192 07-26-2011 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Impulse_x (Post 7524666)
I've always gone to the one in the IGA plaza on Main and.... I wanna say 13th?
I never had a problem with them..

Do you know their prices?

I had a place in Ottawa that did shirts for $3 and pants for $5, yet the few I have visited in Vancouver are ~$5 for shirts and ~$10 for pants. I found a place near Kits beach that does shirts for $3.15 according to their website, going to check them out this week.

I was hoping to find a cheap mom/pop shop in Richmond I could drop off at on my way to work.

bcrdukes 07-26-2011 01:46 PM

I get my dry cleaning done at Fletchers Fabricare :)

taylor192 07-26-2011 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 7524858)
I get my dry cleaning done at Fletchers Fabricare :)

That was the first place I tried cause I could walk there... until I got the bill. :(

bcrdukes 07-26-2011 03:49 PM

It depends on what kind of clothing you're getting dry cleaned. If your shirts are 100% cotton, yeah, I'd take them there and request no chemicals/starch & hand iron only.

If you have a shirt consisting of a blend of materials (synthetic and natural fibres) in all honesty, it doesn't matter where you go other than to stick with the rule where cheaper is better. :\

taylor192 07-26-2011 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 7524975)
It depends on what kind of clothing you're getting dry cleaned. If your shirts are 100% cotton, yeah, I'd take them there and request no chemicals/starch & hand iron only.

If you have a shirt consisting of a blend of materials (synthetic and natural fibres) in all honesty, it doesn't matter where you go other than to stick with the rule where cheaper is better. :\

I don't think I own anything 100% cotton, and none of my shirts are more than $35 as I usually buy them on sale. I hate spending a lot to clean them cause I can usually just pick up a couple shirts the next time a store has a 50% off sale, which seems like every month now. :)

taylor192 08-12-2011 01:36 PM

Found a killer deal, waiting till Tues to see results: $2.50/shirt on a hanger if you get 10 shirts done, 4 day turnaround.

Cambie Plaza, #5 and Cambie rd in Richmond.

I'll report back on Tues when I pickup to see how well they were cleaned. I'm not expecting the best, yet I don't have a lot of light coloured shirts that discolour, so they just really need to smell clean and I'm happy.

taylor192 08-18-2011 10:47 AM

Update:

Shirts are clean and nicely pressed, no damage. I'd give it a 8/10 for cleaning, could have been a little better. Most of the discolourations are gone, and the rest might be from me leaving it so long between dry cleanings. At $2.50 I'll get them done more often so they won't get a chance to discolour as much.

Tapioca 08-18-2011 11:53 AM

I live in Central Burnaby and for the past year or so, I've been taking my shirts and pants to Tuesday's on Kingsway just west of Royal Oak. They're not the cheapest place, but the service is relatively prompt (3-day turnaround usually) and the cleaning is above-average. Almost all of my shirts and pants are entirely natural fibres (wool or linen for pants, cotton for shirts), so shirts tend to be in the $3-4 range and pants probably double that.

A place I used to go to, but now avoid is Busy Bee on First and Nanaimo in East Van. They ruined an off-white corduroy blazer of mine by using some kind of chemical which discoloured one cuff and one lapel.

The biggest issue for me is managing buildup on collars and cuffs. I find that conventional laundry detergent and my washing machine are simply not good enough, so for shirts I actually wear to the office, I'm forced to get them cleaned professionally.

lucky07 02-16-2012 04:35 PM

bump anyone kno a good place to dry clean my dussault hoody, and a couple suits. how much would the cost be around? tia :)