REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech

Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech This forum is brought to you by The Speed Syndicate (TSS) in Burnaby.
Discussion of maintaining your engine, transmission, differentails, rear ends, and mods associated with "driveline" parts..

Old 04-09-2011, 05:10 PM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Protege 5 Catalytic Converter

Hi guys,

I took my car to mazda becuase I had a rattling noise coming out of my exhaust and they told me that my catalytic converter is fried. They want to install a new one for $990. Does anyone know where I can get a cheaper one. I prefer oem but cant find anything under $900. I called lordco and they said $380 for a walker direct fit catalytic converter. Does anyone knwo if walker is a good brand? Or does anyone know where I can find a cheaper oem mazda catalytic converter. I only have 80,000 km on my car and they told me my 8 year warranty on the converter is over. Or is there a way to fix a catalytic converter. I can install it myself I just need a good part. Please Help :-(

Thanks
Advertisement
nbjovo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:39 PM   #2
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Have you fail your Aircare or is there a CEL? I don't think you need to replace the catalytic convertor until either happens. OE performs much better than aftermarket in general. (hence the higher cost).

Since precious metals are in record high, you should consider getting the part from a dealership in the States eg University Mazda etc.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:06 AM   #3
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Thanks for the reply godwin

I will check the pricing in the US. I just want to knwo if the US mazda catalytic converters will work in BC. I see that the converters are 48 state legal but will not work in california. I called O'reilly auto parts in bellingham and they said their converters will not work in canada since they have emission regulations like california. Do you know what the difference between american and canadian converters is?
Aloger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:27 AM   #4
RS controls my life!

As long as the converter fits and the o2 fits in the converter, i don't see why a US converter won't work on a canadian car. If the difference between the us and canadian converter is the just a smaller amount of precious metals being used, that would be the same argument as using a walker converter. If you could find out the length and flange pattern of your converter and compare it to some us converter, that could help.

On a side note, i thought i heard of a conveter problems in some Mazda 3 or 5's because of engine burning oil and contaminating the converter.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:01 AM   #5
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
O'Reilly etc would not be OE Mazda.. OE will have more precious metal.. that's just a given.

If you don't have a CEL and passes AirCare.. I would suggest just use it till it dies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloger View Post
Thanks for the reply godwin

I will check the pricing in the US. I just want to knwo if the US mazda catalytic converters will work in BC. I see that the converters are 48 state legal but will not work in california. I called O'reilly auto parts in bellingham and they said their converters will not work in canada since they have emission regulations like california. Do you know what the difference between american and canadian converters is?
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #6
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

If you want to be cheap, order an aftermarket universal one from ebay and weld your old flanges on. I did it for about 60 bucks and passed aircare with flying colors.
cunninglinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:38 PM   #7
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

ebay is cheap but waiting time is a beach. I'd say just goto quiet muffler on kingsway and get it over with
tubbs is offline   Reply With Quote