REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:56 AM   #1
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

First Time Home Buyers Question

So i bought a house a year ago, and saved on Tax's because it was my first house, and im living in it, etc..

Now im going to be getting married, but me and my fiance want to get another house, for us to live in together, and i want to keep my first house..

Since it would be her first house would we/she be able to get the first time home buyers Advantages, (Save on tax's lower Down Payment etc) , even if we are married, or would she have to buy the house before we get married to make that work?

We current dont live together.

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2011, 08:11 AM   #2
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Who is eligible for the HBTC?

You will qualify for the HBTC if:

* you or your spouse or common-law partner acquired a qualifying home; and
* you did not live in another home owned by you or your spouse or common-law partner in the year of acquisition or in any of the four preceding years.
waddy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:12 AM   #3
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

If the 2nd house is under both your names then I believe 50% of the property is elegible for 1st time home owners grant up to 425k. Using her first time buyers grant.

Posted via RS Mobile
Devastator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:40 PM   #4

So in order for your wife to get the HBTC, her residence cannot be your home......wtf..? Looks like it's best to buy first, then get married
Old 04-11-2011, 01:41 PM   #5
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

i would say she would have to buy it initially and then do a split ownership after
hirevtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:48 PM   #6
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I believe you can be married, and as long as she doesnt live in the home that you own, she would qualify as a first time homebuyer.

I have a friend who lives with his gf who bought the place, but since he has his residence address as his parents place, he would still be considered a first time homebuyer.

For specific details i would look here:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/t.../menu-eng.html
Marioo1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:09 PM   #7

yes you can, but how are you going to convince the CRA that you're married for x number of years and not living together?

You should also calculate the total savings before making a decision...
tax credit, rrsp, hst rebate, timing, etc