REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Manufacturer Tech Forums > Euro Tech Resources

Euro Tech Resources All Euros (VW, BMW, Benz, Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc) Tech info
THIS ADSPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT

Old 04-11-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
f.
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

ABS light on, and E-brake light flashing VW

So I just bought a 2001 VW Jetta GL 2.0L with 145,000KM on it a couple weeks ago. Today as I'm driving home, out of nowhere, the ABS light comes on, the E-Brake light starts flashing, and this beeping noise comes on for a second, and all the instruments die. I've looked online but just wondering if there is anyone with a similar experiences and what have you done? TIA!
Advertisement
f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
top off brake fluid? my accords ebrake light kept flickering so i added a little more brake fluid and it was gone and its been good so far
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

3 possibilities:

1. Common VW/Audi problem from that era - the ABS module has died. This would explain the ABS and parking brake lights, but unlikely this is the cause since the rest of the instrument cluster died.

2. Instrument cluster lost power due to a bad ground or something. Plausible.

3. Another very common VW/Audi problem - the ignition switch is on its way out. Start the car. Do all the instruments work and all the warning lights are off? Jiggle the key around without turning it to "off". Does the cluster die again?
chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2011, 09:40 PM   #4
I STILL don't get it

1. did the car die on you?
2. does the car still start?
3. hows your brakes? possible for both lights to come on if u got no brakes!
if you lost power to your instruments, then it could possibly be a bad battery/not charging alternator.
I had problems with new and old defective alternators before, they would work for a few days or so and as you're driving the abs and e-brake light comes on and after you lose power to everything else.
Hyper_night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:57 AM   #5
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,164 Times in 7,156 Posts
Save the headache and get it scanned for codes. But the ign. switch so often causes really random things like that to happen. My ex-girls jettas headlights would turn off when she turned the windsheild wiper on due to a bad ign. switch, and my corrado would do tons of weird abs blinking shit and wouldn't start every 20 or so times
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:56 PM   #6
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

its a long list of COULD be's. get a vag com scan its quick and some shops will even do it for free. check your rear break sensor. as for the cluster dying all together that makes me think there is a wire touching where it should/ bad ground.
jribchester8 is offline   Reply With Quote