REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 06-13-2011, 11:17 AM   #26
Need my Daily Fix of RS

2008+ Honda CBR125. Less than $2000 easily now that the CBR250 is here.
Advertisement
Titanium1.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:54 PM   #27
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Check out my bike on my sig. Won't sell it to you unless u go to PRS school first though :P
tegz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:55 PM   #28
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyzy View Post
^

What size are you? I'm selling a brand new Scorpion Stinger Perforated leather jacket, but it's size small

http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=130722
I think my buddy bought that off you. It fits really well man! love the inside liners too, perfect for vancity weather!!
tegz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:56 PM   #29
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

I agree with the guys saying go for a Ninja 250. I'd definitely recommend getting one used. Great bike to learn on, and you can ride it for a summer and sell it for what you paid for it. I would avoid spending big money on a bike you really love for your first bike... because as people have said, you are likely to drop it, and also chances are after you've been riding a while and figure out what kind of rider you are, you will start wanting a different kind of bike.
denham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:00 PM   #30
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Dude $10,000 is a lot for a first bike. Let's break it down.

If you're smart, I have no say as that is subjective opinion. I recommend you taking a riding course, I did PRS. I had confidence shortly after in riding, however with YouTube nowadays... You can learn to ride a bike from watching a few 9 minute videos. Thoroughly explained if I may add. Which I regret, because $900 could have gone to gear. Nonetheless, good experience and great people at PRS. Most videos don't mention some important factors, such as where you look is where you go. So I mention that to you now, but if you're incompetent and have no confidence in your riding ability and not so great during life-death situations, take the course.

Now that said, $10,000 is too much for a first bike. Quit trying to impress everyone, I don't care if you live in British Properties and are shitting money. Sure, you look great... when you fall you think everyone who was impressed is going to help you up while sitting in their car? Nah. It's too much, too soon.

Buy gear which alone is costly, keep in mind riding a motorcycle or having any automotive vehicle is a money pit. Just don't be like the dumbass riding around in shorts, t-shirt, a very expensive Shoei RF-1100 helmet, and a 600cc. You're a statistic and possible a casualty. Even if you are experienced and that one day you decide not to wear gear, well Murphy's Law. I've seen it happen to people I know, even friends. Don't put your trust in drivers, especially Vancouver drivers. If it's 30*C wear fucking gear or just dig your grave now.

I can't emphasize that enough, just look through some sportbike forums. One guy decided to not wear boots, smashed his ankle bone, heel, shin was ripped open. There goes walking, there goes working.

Boots: ~$300/400
Gloves: ~$150/200
Helmet: ~$2XX - $9XX Depends on brand, just get Snell Approved. Snell > Dot (Buy full face helmet, not the Harley Davidson helmets, smash your chin going 100km/h... I could only imagine that would be nothing compared to Shane Carwin's hit)
Jacket: ~$500
Insurance: Basic is ~120/month
- Private insurance for theft/collision ~$No idea lol

Bike: Invest in a used bike, I won't recommend what bike to purchase like I said before it's how you react to things. I've seen people start with a litre bike, 600cc, 250cc, 125cc.

Then there's a purpose, are you riding to and from work? Taking it to the track? Long distance riding?

For example, you wouldn't buy a RR for long distance riding, it looks fucking beast imo. But your ass will hate you, some will say I can go for hours on my RR. Okay, pat yourself on the back now shut up.

You drop your bike it will happen, and depends how "God" the fictional man feels that day he may let you go with a minor scratch or a $5000 bill to replace all the fairings, swingarm, handlebars, etc. There you just spent $15,000 that could have bought you TWO bikes or 1 Ducati, or a used car, or you could just be dead right? Anythings possible.

Buy a used bike, keep within a smart budget. Remember, because a bike goes for $5000 there's tax in and you're looking at $5600. Unless they put it as undervalue

Riding is a dangerous sport. Be smart and it may not be.

Rule 1: You do not talk about Fight Club. Rule 2: You do not talk about Fight Club.
v.Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2011, 03:36 PM   #31
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v.Rossi View Post
Riding is a dangerous sport. Be smart and it may not be.
+1
What he said.

I'm riding a 50cc scooter and I'm geared up to high heaven.
You might think you're awesome and you're going to be a great riders, and you might really be. You might never lowside or highside your bike. But are you really going to bet your life, or your walking, or the use of your right arm that some c-lai who's wearing a welding mask and texting isn't going to ram your ass straight into the intersection?

Those c-lai do leave richmond once in a while.

Also, I almost got run over my an ambulance.
true story.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:23 PM   #32
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post
+1

But are you really going to bet your life, or your walking, or the use of your right arm that some c-lai who's wearing a welding mask and texting isn't going to ram your ass straight into the intersection?
LOL
CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2011, 09:58 PM   #33
I STILL don't get it

Derp, squid n look kool
Midnitez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:29 PM   #34
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,806 Times in 215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
LOL
nice edit hahaha

thanks for the advice everyone, sounds like i'll get a 250r after prs lessons
AlphaKappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:07 PM   #35
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Just read up this thread, really good info here, its gonna be Ninja 250R for me too! After PRS and stuff first obviously.
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote