REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech

Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Discussion on how to keep your car shining bright and make them heads turn..

Old 04-11-2011, 10:18 PM   #1
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Amaru the Amateur vs. Bertha the Bimmer

A while back, I posted this thread looking for hand polish and clay bar product suggestions... I received a lot of good suggestions (thanks to all who contributed, especially Ken aka 911fanatic who is perhaps the ultimate detailing guru).

Anyway, this past weekend I finally found the time to put my new products to use detailing my daily driver (a 2002 BMW 330ci). I'm a detailing n00b so the results of my detail job aren't anywhere near perfect, especially since I'm working by hand on an 8-year-old car with 160,000km under its belt!

Products used:
  • Dawn dish soap (just 1 or 2 drops in the wash bucket)
  • Meguiar's Gold Class shampoo
  • Simoniz Clay Bar kit (it was the cheapest, haha)
  • Meguiar's Scratch X (for a few major scuffs)
  • Meguiar's Ultimate Compound (just hand polished two small areas where there were obvious swirls)
  • Chemical Guys Wet Mirror Finish (hand applied)
  • Victoria Wax Mayhem (only 1 coat for now - will apply another coat after the next wash)
  • Aerospace 303 protectant (for rubber/plastic trim and tires)

Before

I went skiing last Thursday, so my car was absolutely filthy. Mud, dirt, sand, salt, and a lot of insect guts (they tend to stick quite well at 160km/hr)....

After

Apologies for the awful photos - didn't finish working on the car until the wee hours of the morning so I just took a few snaps after I had finished. Might try to get a few more pics in the daylight tomorrow if it doesn't rain.

I'm very pleased with the results, given that I haven't done any real polishing or paint correction in over a year. I absolutely love the Victoria Wax Mayhem -- applying by hand (literally) gives excellent control and makes it easy to spread a thin, even coat. Will likely be recommending this stuff to anyone with a dark-coloured car!

Anyway, thanks again to all who helped provide advice and product suggestions.
Advertisement
Amaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

hand applying wax is win
great job nonetheless
kyoshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:20 AM   #3
Need to Seek Professional Help

Looks like it went well. Congrats!
911fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:19 PM   #4
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

nice work!

"The value of life can be measured by how many times the soul has been deeply stirred"- Soichiro Honda
busdriverman is offline   Reply With Quote