REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 04-12-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Pants for the Summer?

I've got a pair of kevlar jeans from Alpinestar.
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...d_pnts_400.jpg

They've served me perfectly well throughout the late fall and winter, but there is a built in windproof liner. Come summertime, I need something that breaths a little better than that. Preferably, a lot better than that.

One little thing that bothers me about the jeans is that the protection doesn't really go to the outside of the knees. I've never gone down in them, but it seems like it wouldn't protect the best.

Any suggestions you guys have, where to start looking or what to look for, it would be much appreciated.

Edit:
P.S.
It would be nice if stylewise, it's not so apparent they are riding pants. Since I'm totally geared for for the rest, it'll look a little overkill on my scooter.
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
My Sartso jeans have no built in liner, other than what holds the kevlar. They are definitely warmer than normal jeans due to the kevlar. I'm wearing them today in the office, its 23C and I feel fine. Bayside has a few in stock, check them out.
http://www.sartso.com/index.php

There are a few on BCSB that swear by a pair of expensive BMW pants. Looks like normal khaki pants, with tons of kevlar and very http://www.pacificyamahabmw.com/imag...20brochure.pdf

I was looking at the Alpinestars Urban DNS pants to match my jacket. Most people don't realize my jacket is a motorcycle jacket it looks so plain, and the pants keep the same muted style.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...DNS-Pants.aspx

Yet none of these address the knee pad issue. I don't think you can get anything that is going to look normal that will have knee pads. You'll have to sacrifice either style or protection.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:32 PM   #3
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...l.bok?no=10050

they won't fit for me as my boots already cover my shins but for those of you who don't ride with race boots these might come in real handy.
CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:14 PM   #4
Banned (ABWS)

When you refer to "protection" are you talking about broken bones type stuff or road rash? Cause I don't think any jeans will protect you from broken bones, you'll need armour for that, there are companies that make some great stuff to wear under your jeans. The jeans are made to help reduce/prevent road rash and most of that protection is emphasized on the ass/waist and outer thigh's of the pants. Not many (if any that I can think of off the top of my head) extend that protection over the entire knee.
But if you find one, post it.
g_spyder91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #5
THE CHAMPION OF CAPUA

What online sites do you guys shop at to buy gears? Specifically authentic dot rated shoei helmets.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:53 AM   #6
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red/Blue Blur View Post
What online sites do you guys shop at to buy gears? Specifically authentic dot rated shoei helmets.
I buy 95% of my stuff from www.baysideperformance.ca
I like the idea of supporting a local shop, and I can go to the actual store anytime i want/need to. You can usually get a better deal than what's shown on the site if you speak to them or drop by.

The other 5% of my purchases are spur of the moment items that I may happen to see in whatever shop/website im in.
g_spyder91 is offline   Reply With Quote