REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   House and Home Renovations (https://www.revscene.net/forums/house-home-renovations_338/)
-   -   hardwood floor installer recommendation (https://www.revscene.net/forums/642732-hardwood-floor-installer-recommendation.html)

Majestic12 04-12-2011 06:08 PM

hardwood floor installer recommendation

Anybody have any experience with knowledgeable and economical installers? Need to do a job that's about 650 sqf of floating floor engineered hardwood. Wouldn't mind a contact for someone that can get good pricing for underlays or even the hardwood itself as well.

Thanks!

ilvtofu 04-12-2011 09:41 PM

Hanco on bridgeport has a good variety of hardwood.

I recently heard of a horror story locally about Shaw engineered hardwood, IIRC it was at a restaurant where they have fluctuation of the indoor temp caused the wood to crack. Honestly don't know that much about the story though, mom just brought it up at dinner

windchaser 05-07-2011 09:27 PM

i know a good installer who did my place... i just pmed u his infor ....

Wormiez 05-07-2011 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windchaser (Post 7424968)
i know a good installer who did my place... i just pmed u his infor ....

Also looking for a hardwood installer.. You got PM! ..

yarachi 05-09-2011 09:45 AM

hi there :)
I'm actually helping out at a hardwood supply flooring company,

as far as I know they own government-owned factory overseas so they can get virtually the best price.
what kind or color of flooring are you looking for? i can let you know on the flooring installer deall too ~

frost91 05-09-2011 09:50 PM

i've done tons of installs, just a few tips...........

- if you plan to live there, spend the extra money and get engineered rather then laminate.
- thicker is supposed to be better (12mm), however i gota say its not as easy to install compared to a 10mm. i did a home that was 10mm and it was a breeze

- the type of hardwood you want is thin and long, comes in one colour, then you dye it the colour of your choice afterwards. everything else is garbage. i've done tons of installs, that type is the best (its been a long night i forgot what the type is called)

- overtime the joints will come apart when the house moves, i find that the flat+wide+short type comes apart the easiest

theres tons of other stuff but floating floor is probably the easiest install you can do. when i enter homes i do see gaps though just because the quality of flooring isn't that good

buddy 05-28-2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilvtofu (Post 7387969)
Hanco on bridgeport has a good variety of hardwood.

I recently heard of a horror story locally about Shaw engineered hardwood, IIRC it was at a restaurant where they have fluctuation of the indoor temp caused the wood to crack. Honestly don't know that much about the story though, mom just brought it up at dinner

have heard something about leaving extra room when installing hardwood floor since they expend due to temperature change ... maybe it's beacuse of that ?

blkgsr 05-31-2011 12:38 PM

if your flooring shrinks/expands after install it's because it wasn't able to aclimatize to the house first....it should be loaded and let sit in the house for a few days before it's installed

buddy 05-31-2011 12:47 PM

^ that actually made a lot of sense, thanks for the advice .. thinking about installing laminate floor myself in the summer time ...