REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 04-12-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
Need my Daily Fix of RS

hardwood floor installer recommendation

Anybody have any experience with knowledgeable and economical installers? Need to do a job that's about 650 sqf of floating floor engineered hardwood. Wouldn't mind a contact for someone that can get good pricing for underlays or even the hardwood itself as well.

Thanks!
Advertisement
Majestic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Hanco on bridgeport has a good variety of hardwood.

I recently heard of a horror story locally about Shaw engineered hardwood, IIRC it was at a restaurant where they have fluctuation of the indoor temp caused the wood to crack. Honestly don't know that much about the story though, mom just brought it up at dinner
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:27 PM   #3
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

i know a good installer who did my place... i just pmed u his infor ....
windchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:36 PM   #4
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by windchaser View Post
i know a good installer who did my place... i just pmed u his infor ....
Also looking for a hardwood installer.. You got PM! ..
Wormiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:45 AM   #5
Banned By Establishment

hi there
I'm actually helping out at a hardwood supply flooring company,

as far as I know they own government-owned factory overseas so they can get virtually the best price.
what kind or color of flooring are you looking for? i can let you know on the flooring installer deall too ~
yarachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:50 PM   #6
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

i've done tons of installs, just a few tips...........

- if you plan to live there, spend the extra money and get engineered rather then laminate.
- thicker is supposed to be better (12mm), however i gota say its not as easy to install compared to a 10mm. i did a home that was 10mm and it was a breeze

- the type of hardwood you want is thin and long, comes in one colour, then you dye it the colour of your choice afterwards. everything else is garbage. i've done tons of installs, that type is the best (its been a long night i forgot what the type is called)

- overtime the joints will come apart when the house moves, i find that the flat+wide+short type comes apart the easiest

theres tons of other stuff but floating floor is probably the easiest install you can do. when i enter homes i do see gaps though just because the quality of flooring isn't that good
frost91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:16 AM   #7
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
Hanco on bridgeport has a good variety of hardwood.

I recently heard of a horror story locally about Shaw engineered hardwood, IIRC it was at a restaurant where they have fluctuation of the indoor temp caused the wood to crack. Honestly don't know that much about the story though, mom just brought it up at dinner
have heard something about leaving extra room when installing hardwood floor since they expend due to temperature change ... maybe it's beacuse of that ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL9000 View Post
this is the internet and everyone knows better about what happened sitting behind a desk than the people who are actually involved.
buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:38 PM   #8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

if your flooring shrinks/expands after install it's because it wasn't able to aclimatize to the house first....it should be loaded and let sit in the house for a few days before it's installed
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-31-2011, 12:47 PM   #9
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

^ that actually made a lot of sense, thanks for the advice .. thinking about installing laminate floor myself in the summer time ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL9000 View Post
this is the internet and everyone knows better about what happened sitting behind a desk than the people who are actually involved.
buddy is offline   Reply With Quote