REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:12 PM   #1
Banned (ABWS)

Help with Workout schedule

Alright, I need some help with a workout schedule. I need something I can stick to and keep working on as long as I can. Here is some information about me, and if you guys can, help me find a way that's good for weight loss, fat loss, bulking up muscles.

Information

Ethnic: Asian
Height: Roughly 6 foot
Weight: 200 lbs
Build: Med/Large build

Breakfast: Usually soup, freshly made from Monday - Friday
Lunch: Nothing majority of the time (unless I go out and grab something but it's quite fatty if I do)
Dinner: Depends, don't eat as much as before

In school I currently don't have PE. I have a treadmill at home, and I can go to the gym almost anytime.

I'm thinking of joining a Karate/Tae Kwon Do place again to start the workout again. Pricing ain't a big deal for me since Health>Money unless it's overly outrageous.

So to sum this up, I need some help just figuring out what to do for some weight loss, fat loss, and bulking up the muscle. I'm not a fan of protein bars nor protein drinks. Water is the way to go for me, but I'm up for anything.

Some nice comments would be preferred. Harsh and/or rude comments will be ignored.

Thanks
Advertisement
ConCho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:21 PM   #2
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,216 Times in 510 Posts
protein shake is almost a necessity, can easily be incorporated into your breakfast, essential for muscle building and recovery (depending on which protein you go with)
. I'd suggest optimum nutition 100% whey, more expensive relative to other proteins but if you google some reviews you'll see why people will pay more for this.

pre workout - increase intensity, focus, energy, recovery levels to enhance your overall workout results (no shotgun, noxplode, 1mr etc)

snacks throughout the day - almonds, celery, carrots, trailmix.
illicitstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

i noticed how your breakfast is light and that you also do not eat lunch most of the time.

i learned from my PE teacher in high school that if your body does not receive the nutrients and calories it needs, you can actually gain fat (not necessarily weight).

The reason is because your body does not know when it will receive nutrients in the future, and in response will convert a larger percentage of the food you intake into stored fat than if you had a regular diet that adequately nourishes your body.

So if you are looking to lose weight, i would definitely look at diet before exercise as diet constitutes as the largest contributor to your body fat percentage.

cut out some (not entirely!) carbs (rice, potatoes, pasta) and eat more veggies and protein rich foods (fish, chicken). if you eat a lot of carbs but do not expend the energy it produces through digestion, it will convert into fat quickly.

"The value of life can be measured by how many times the soul has been deeply stirred"- Soichiro Honda
busdriverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:30 PM   #4
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by illicitstylz View Post
protein shake is almost a necessity, can easily be incorporated into your breakfast, essential for muscle building and recovery (depending on which protein you go with)
. I'd suggest optimum nutition 100% whey, more expensive relative to other proteins but if you google some reviews you'll see why people will pay more for this.

pre workout - increase intensity, focus, energy, recovery levels to enhance your overall workout results (no shotgun, noxplode, 1mr etc)

snacks throughout the day - almonds, celery, carrots, trailmix.
Thanks for your comment but I'm more of looking for what to do, not necessarily what to eat/drink. Looking more for workout tips, what should I work on. Eg - Squats, how many. Pushups, how many. What should I start with. Take it lightly. Etc.

Thanks,
Old 04-12-2011, 06:34 PM   #5
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
eat a bigger breakfast , something that will give you energy throughout the day. I usually make steelcut oats during days that I have afternoon classes (more time to make it), if not I will use 1 min quicker oats. To make it less boring, i add either some brown sugar or a spoonful of peanut butter.

if your bulking muscles, you need more protein. Most will say 1.5g protein per pound. But if you are not a big fan of protein shakes then it just means you gotta eat more lean meats. Chicken/beef/fish, you know the common stuff. During the school semester, I would buy a dozen chicken breast, cook it and cut it up and just put it in the fridge. That way I can just grab and go when I am in a hurry for school.

go check out dorian yates workout video's and tips on bodybuilding.com . good info and easy to follow workout routines.

good luck!
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
Banned (ABWS)

Thanks guys, I just want to give a bit more updates.

What fruits should I be eating:
What should I avoid:
How much time spent doing exercises a day/week:
How long should breaks be:

Right now, I think changing my eating habits is number one, I will try to bring a lunch to school, so waking up early and sleeping early is the key.

How much time is needed to be spent sleeping?

Sorry if this is so mix and match and all over the place.

I know there is no 1 solution but many different possibilities. I'm just trying to change my habits before it's too late.

I hate running for some reason, and if this matters I have asthma since birth.

@eddy89

Wouldn't working out build some natural muscles without the need of proteins (that much)

@clintonpoon88

What type of foods should I be eating then?
What type of exercises should I be doing to get rid of the carbohydrates and fat?

@everyone

What's a good type of sport/exercise/thing to do after school that will keep me in shape, or start to?
Old 04-12-2011, 07:04 PM   #7
Need my Daily Fix of RS

If you're trying to gain muscle you will gain some fat with it, and if you're trying to lose fat, you'll lose some muscle with it. It is impossible to be shedding fat and gaining muscle at the same time so you should chose one or the other. What does it take to build muscle? Caloric surplus. What does it take to lose fat? Caloric deficit. They're like polar opposites.
white_guilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:48 PM   #8
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
an easy breakfast is usually a protein shake with a cup of oats blended in

another easy breakfast if you prefer solid food would be 3 scrambled eggs & a handful of spinach. eggs & spinach cook real fast so it should take you no longer than 5 minutes
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:12 PM   #9
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

200lbs is ideal for 6" imo...
follow the foods that the RS crew here listed and throw in oatmeal for breakfast, brown rice for dinner. It'll help you control the weight.
Also, eat lots of fruits and veggies because i don't think there's really anything from this food group you should be avoiding.
Check out CanWest TaeKwonDo in richmond if you decide to try out TKD
Old 04-12-2011, 10:26 PM   #10
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,216 Times in 510 Posts
workout routines and advice:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=115643271

Quote:
A simple 3 day routine. Each bodypart once per week. Each exercise 2-4 sets, reps 5-8.

Back/Bis

Deadlifts
A Row
Chins or Pulldows
Bicep Curl

Chest/Tris

Bench
DB or Inc Bench
Chest Dips
Triceps Isolation

Legs/Shoulders

Squat
GHR (Glute Ham Raise)
Military Press
Calf Work
illicitstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:27 PM   #11
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,012 Times in 988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConCho View Post
Thanks for your comment but I'm more of looking for what to do, not necessarily what to eat/drink. Looking more for workout tips, what should I work on. Eg - Squats, how many. Pushups, how many. What should I start with. Take it lightly. Etc.

Thanks,
Eating is probably 80% of the work bro you need to eat properly... how old r u?
do a basic 4 day split, Back, Chest n triceps, delts, and legs. and read the big ass sticky on the top advices from hal0 /rxxtar/ skinny it has helped me more than articles n shiz.

First thing is get proper form for the main compound lifts ( bench, squat, dl)

i dont know what your strength is like so i'm not gonna recommend how many reps/sets to do
strykn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:32 PM   #12
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,012 Times in 988 Posts
one more thing you need to make a much more specific goal rather than "weight loss, fat loss, bulking up muscles." i use to think like you never got me anywhere, narrow down how much u wanna weigh ,bf% , and how much weight you'd like to be pushing for starters
strykn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:30 AM   #13
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

First get your diet in check. Everything's pretty much been said. Consider getting some whey and taking it in the morning + post workout. Check out exrx.net, they have a ton of info and some workout templates. Bodybuilding.com is also a great resource
Stevie P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:33 AM   #14
Banned (ABWS)

Alright, thanks for all the comments above.

If this helps, I am 16 turning 17 in 2 months. I'm aiming around 170-180. Losing weight is #1 job. #2 job is gaining muscles. I just want to feel fit, feel good, and be fit.

I've played sports before competetively and also used to run 4KM every week on tuesday within 20 minutes or less. (hills/curves) near cariboo park in Burnaby/Lougheed area.

@white_guilt

Well doing regular training (not really weight loss) you can still gain muscles.

@ch28

I'm guessing you are saying, blend in eggs and spinach and then fry it?

@Lolkai

Everyone has a different fat index and I don't think I'm on the healthy side. That's why I'm sitting at 200 lbs and I want to lose it.

@illicitstylz

I'll have a look at it when I get home, thanks !

@strykn

I'm 16 turning 17 in a month or two. I have a treadmill, some weights but I can also head down to a gym. I did TKD before. I recieved a black belt but I want to start new again. I'm going to find somewhere in Surrey, Richmond will take at least 20 minutes to get to and second to that I will have to drive and the cost of gas is understandbly outrageous. My ideal weight is roughly 170-180. If I'm working on muscles then a bit more. I want to keep under the 200 lb limit. I'm up for anything, I'm trying to stay off the comptuer (I'm a programmer) and head out more.

@Stevie_P

What foods should I be avoiding. What I'm hearing is eat oatmeal, fruits and veggies which is a given. I'm trying to eat less but more throughout the day. Ya, I'm going to work at least 1-2 hours of workout. Most likely 1 hour a day + some Wii fit + some running. I will also be going to the gym for some drop in sports and so on.

Thanks ,
Old 04-13-2011, 06:48 PM   #15
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Avoid processed foods. Eat food as close to how it was grown. EG: eat potatoes instead of chips, porkchops instead of hotdogs, etc. Bake your chicken, don't pan fry it.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:27 PM   #16
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Workout

Pick one:

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5...ining-program/
http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...inner_Programs

That is ALL you need. Splits for you are stupid because you're a beginner and would benefit from higher volume on compound exercises.

Diet
- How many meals a day you eat doesnt matter.
- 1g protein/lb body weight.
- Lots of leafy vegetables
- Shakes and pre-workout drinks are not necessary. People who insist you need shakes to get your required protein are stupid. 800g of pork tenderloin yields you 181g of protein for only 1050 calories.
- Depending on the fruits you eat, they're not that great for you because of their caloric density. Bananas for example are packed full of sugar.

It's not rocket science.
DaFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2011, 11:31 PM   #17
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFonz View Post
Workout

Pick one:

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5...ining-program/
http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...inner_Programs

That is ALL you need. Splits for you are stupid because you're a beginner and would benefit from higher volume on compound exercises.

Diet
- How many meals a day you eat doesnt matter.
- 1g protein/lb body weight.
- Lots of leafy vegetables
- Shakes and pre-workout drinks are not necessary. People who insist you need shakes to get your required protein are stupid. 800g of pork tenderloin yields you 181g of protein for only 1050 calories.
- Depending on the fruits you eat, they're not that great for you because of their caloric density. Bananas for example are packed full of sugar.

It's not rocket science.
I wish I can give you a million thanks for this. I always face-palm when people recommend the cookie-cutter BS bodybuilder splits that they pull out from Flex magazine for the newbies. When you're a newb, you're weak as shit and all your body parts suck. There is simply no reason for a newb to start doing stupid splits- work on total strength via heavy compound lifts first, then eat, eat, eat and EAT.
white_guilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:17 AM   #18
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConCho View Post
@ch28

I'm guessing you are saying, blend in eggs and spinach and then fry it?
protein shake + oats + blender = quick breakfast on the go

scramble up 3 eggs -> plate it
throw in a handful of spinach in pan & once it wilts -> plate & eat

shake is much faster cause it takes probably 15-20 seconds

eggs + spinach take ~3-4 minutes tops.

both are quick, simple and effective meals to jump start your day
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:02 AM   #19
My homepage has been set to RS

I haven't read through the entire thread....

If you are looking for a martial art to get more fit....I've heard good things about TaeKwonDo...i hear they work you like a dog. However, if you are open to suggestions, you may want to look into judo. In judo, on top of it looking really cool at tournaments, their workout is very focussed on CORE strength....which is good to get started while you are young.

Speaking of which, make sure that you do have one day a week of just core, or at least have a session one day a week fully dedicated to core. Core workout is something you totally want to get started at a younger age, very sports-functional, and is good for injury-prevention down the road.
RayBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:58 PM   #20
Banned (ABWS)

Thanks guys, I'm going to start working on these things tomorrow. If you guys got anymore ideas, please just post it here!