REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 04-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #1
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Vacuums and Roombas

So I'll need to buy a new vacuum for the house soon, just wondering if you guys have any recommendations.
There are some ballin Dyson ones.. but are they actually that much better/more useful?
Someone also suggested that I get a Roomba.. but I've never used one, and am a little skeptical that it'll actually do a decent job..

thoughts?
Advertisement
Old 04-13-2011, 11:51 AM   #2
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

How much carpet do you have and how much does it need to be done?

I have a two story place so a Roomba's useless to me. I'm told if most of your carpet is on one floor they're handy for keeping things tidy but you still do need to vacuum.

We have a Dyson here at work but to be honest I find it too big to be using at home (especially if you have to haul it up and down stairs or have to get in a lot of small spaces). Again if most of your vacuuming is in one area though it'll work wonders for you.

I actually spent $100 , bought two small dirt devils from Canadian Tire and voila. One's up stairs, one down, they're small enough to get under things easily and do a decent job.

They probably won't last me as long as the Dyson (the one we've had here, I kid you not, is 8 years old and gets used every day over about 1000 square feet, if you're looking for durability, it definitely is the way to go) but for my purposes they work well.

Also, they're shortish, if you're tallish they're a pain to use for long periods of time. The larger models though are taller stand-ups.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:08 PM   #3
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
You'll be amazed at how much crap the Dyson will pull out of your carpet... and that is after it was just vacuumed by your old one.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:53 PM   #4
RS controls my life!

get dyson clones like the hoover turbo cyclonic
Wetordry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:03 AM   #5
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

The Roomba is pretty good for just keeping crumbs off the floor - I use mine on our hardwood - but it doesn't do a great job on carpet, especially in high traffic areas (though I do use it to vacuum under the bed)

I've got a buddy who has a Dyson, and she swears by it - the best investment she's ever made. She got the ball one.
shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:36 PM   #6
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
You'll be amazed at how much crap the Dyson will pull out of your carpet... and that is after it was just vacuumed by your old one.
I just helped my friend move into a place where they had shampooed the carpets a couple of days prior. I couldn't believe how much shit the Dyson picked up. 900sq/ft condo, 1 bed, den and LR/dining room were carpeted and filled the canister 2/3 full.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:45 PM   #7
Meow

I know the dysons are amazing. If you like. I can let you know when friends and family is here and you can grab one for $150 off.
This is for the 499.99 and up ones. So 349.99 plus u save 15% if you use ur HBC credit card. So itd be really cheap compared to retail price. PM me if your interested.

So its around 335 dollars ,taxes included for a basic dyson upright vacuum.
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by Araaadi; 04-14-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Araaadi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2011, 03:22 PM   #8
The RS Freebie guru

You can also check here from time to time for refurbished units... they still come with a two year warranty.

http://www.english.dysoncanada.ca/sp...radedSales.asp

I bought my DC21 canister from there a couple years ago, and just recently a DC30 handheld.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:47 PM   #9
I subscribe to Revscene

I have a DC27 from the Dyson eBay.ca refurbished store. Works great, looks like new, I have no complaints. In fact, I'm so amazed by the suction power. That said, How are the handhelds? Are they comparable to gas station's shop vacs? My main use for the handhelds are for car interiors.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #10
Meow

The handhelds are great, I got one from work for $10. My gf uses it for her car, it works amazing. Theres a new attachment out, you can use a handheld as a little cordless floor vacuum now.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2011, 04:38 PM   #11
The RS Freebie guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfdgd View Post
The handhelds are great, I got one from work for $10. My gf uses it for her car, it works amazing. Theres a new attachment out, you can use a handheld as a little cordless floor vacuum now.
$10?!

Anyways, the suction is very strong, unlike pretty much all other handhelds... but the problem is it drains the battery very fast. You get about 10 minutes tops of good, constant suction.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:54 PM   #12
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
You can also check here from time to time for refurbished units... they still come with a two year warranty.

http://www.english.dysoncanada.ca/sp...radedSales.asp

I bought my DC21 canister from there a couple years ago, and just recently a DC30 handheld.
I'm going to call them on Monday to see if the Spring Cleaning Kit would be included with this. If so, I'll probably order it.

http://www.english.dysoncanada.ca/sp...ingCleaningKit

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:35 PM   #13
Retired moderator

+1 on a Dyson

You won't believe how much shit and dust your carpet will accumulate in just 1 day, let alone a week. Dyson's are expensive as hell and for good reason, they do the job like no other and they last. It's a good investment.

I'm lazy when it comes to vacuuming, so I have a cordless, bagless cheapo where I do a once over every day (or every other day). And then an actual vacuum every week or other week and you'd be surprised at how much shit you're still sucking up. I also like having a small handheld one to pick up hairs in the bathroom. It's a must if you have anyone with long hair at your house or you'll find your clothes, sheets, floor FULL of hair all the time.

girl@revscene.net

girlはラップダンスをしたことがありません
Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:54 PM   #14
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfdgd View Post
could you get one for lets say 20$
baggdis300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:14 AM   #15
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

I personally have a dyson and love it. It pulls ALOT of crap out of your carpets that you don't even see... especially dust...........

I have a small DC25 (ball vacuum).... its small and light enough that i don't mind carrying it up and down the stairs... only problem is that the cord is pretty short !!
Old 04-22-2011, 12:38 AM   #16
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Dyson's are awesome, but try to get them on sale, or from the states to save some $
KidRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:28 PM   #17
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

This week there's a fam + friends sale at home outfitters offering $150 off all dysons. I just asked an employee there and she gave me an invite. I bought the DC23? Retails for 600+ (bestbuy hook up got it for 4 taxes in) but the attachments make vacuuming my place such a breeze , hardwood, tile, and carpet.
Posted via RS Mobile
woooo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2011, 06:49 PM   #18
Meow

^^ what hes saying is true, To Be honest, you do not need an invite, the one in queensborogh landing is having a sale this saturday april 30, from 6pm-9pm

Dysons are $150 off , plus and additional 15% with your HBC Credit card, or 10% without your credit card.
This offer is only valid for the ones 499.99 and up

We have the DC 33 Multifloor and the DC 24 Multifloor for 499.99. The DC24 is the small version of the ball, the large version is the DC25 , which is 599.99
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2011, 10:51 PM   #19
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,062 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woooo View Post
This week there's a fam + friends sale at home outfitters offering $150 off all dysons. I just asked an employee there and she gave me an invite. I bought the DC23? Retails for 600+ (bestbuy hook up got it for 4 taxes in) but the attachments make vacuuming my place such a breeze , hardwood, tile, and carpet.
Posted via RS Mobile
Which Home Outfitters location did you buy yours at?
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:09 PM   #20
nuggets mod

Update:
I went to Home Outfitters at Lansdowne in Richmond. They do not have any F&F sales the whole week, but they have a F&F sale this Saturday night from 6-9PM, invite only (you need the card). One of the workers gave us a card, but said they weren't supposed to.
You get $150 off any Dyson worth over $499, and an additional 15% if you use your HBC card, or an additional 10% off if you pay any other way.

I'm probably gonna pick up a DC23.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:04 AM   #21
THE CHAMPION OF CAPUA

Hey guys, which vacuum would be more practical? The Dyson Multi Floor Vacuum (DC33) or Dyson Bagless Upright Vacuum (DC24AF)? I'm not sure what are the pros and cons of each but I intend to use the vacuum on different types of flooring - hardwood, carpet, and tiles. Both vacuums are multi-flooring and both vacuums have great review. Also they are priced the same. Will be using at a home with 2 levels and stairs. Thanks.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:42 AM   #22
Meow

^^ go for the DC33 the 24 is the smaller of thee vacuums and for the large one its 599.99 ,to be honest they are all great but if you have pets, get the purple one (animal) it comes in upright and canister for about 699.99 I think. And I work at the queensborogh homeoutfitters. You do not need the invite to come this saturday. Ill double check today. If anyone wants one to be safe, ill grab about 15 from work today.
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 04-28-2011, 08:52 AM   #23
Meow

Update: No invites are needed for Queensborogh landing Family and friends. We have a few cheaper dysons so come quick. Very important, because of the hockey game , we are starting our family and friends at 4pm for more buisness. So don't come at 6 if you really want a dyson. I believe we have two DC 33 so come right at 4 if you'd like one.
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 04-28-2011, 08:58 AM   #24
nuggets mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red/Blue Blur View Post
Hey guys, which vacuum would be more practical? The Dyson Multi Floor Vacuum (DC33) or Dyson Bagless Upright Vacuum (DC24AF)? I'm not sure what are the pros and cons of each but I intend to use the vacuum on different types of flooring - hardwood, carpet, and tiles. Both vacuums are multi-flooring and both vacuums have great review. Also they are priced the same. Will be using at a home with 2 levels and stairs. Thanks.
Have you considered the DC25? I was going to get that one except I thought a canister style vacuum (DC23) would do the same job, and be better for stairs and easier for the car.

Now I'm just debating between the DC23 with the normal head (multifloor), the turbine head, or the motor head.
My house is relatively small, 1550sqft, carpet upstairs, hardwood downstairs.
I've never used a dyson, so I'm not sure if the motorhead cleans that much better than the turbine head, but I did hear that the motorhead is much louder.
Dfdgd, any thoughts?
Old 04-28-2011, 10:09 AM   #25
Meow

The dc23 is great for its price for 499.99
If you feel you need the ball go for the dc25 for 599.99
The motorhead is a canister for 649.99 , and to be honest I doubt its much louder, the turbine head is also a canister vaccum only difference is the head of the hose on the motorhead is powered and rotates. I'd go for the motorhead or the smaller version which is 499.99 , if you have a lot of stairs. If you are just doing rooms. Go for the dc23
Posted via RS Mobile