REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-18-2011, 12:41 AM   #1
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,377 Times in 445 Posts
Looking at 2006-2008 Volvo S40 advice...

Looking at purchasing one of these cars, anyone have any experience? It would likely be an automatic but a stickshift will be fine as well depending on price. It will also most likely be FWD (because of price).

Of course, an alternative is a 2007.5+ Mazda 3 GT (fully loaded).

Any opinions on which one is better, relability..etc?

Thanks.
Advertisement
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High
[19-10, 22:51] how many post do I need before I can fail TOS'D posts.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:43 AM   #2
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Best thing to do is come on over to the Swedespeed forums and post in the s40 thread. We can answer your questions over there =).

What I can suggest for now is look for a T5 rather than a 2.4i because it is similar price point and huge difference in power. If you are looking in adding the OEM bodykit to the car, it is discontinued from many places so it will be difficult and expensive to find one. If you are planning to mod the car, be prepared to be frustrated and spend a lot because there are very limited suppliers.

Here is some inspiration =P

Last edited by vash13; 04-18-2011 at 12:53 AM.
vash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-18-2011, 12:46 AM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
Ive only driven the 2010 (used) s40s, but I was suprised at how nice the interior was and how well it drove. It's also a very solid, tightly built car. Servicing is gonna be more expensive than Mazda, but you know a guy who will give u discounts

Honestly, on paper they're quite expensive for what you get, but after driving them you really appreciate the quality. We have both cars in stock, come on by
Posted via RS Mobile
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-18-2011, 05:24 AM   #4
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 6,529 Times in 1,154 Posts
I've driven the the T5 AWD version and it was quite fun to drive. It is harder to look for aftermarket parts for Volvos but it is out there. Also keep in mind Premium gas vs regular octane in the Mazda 3. Depending on your budget, you might want to consider a 2007+ Mazdaspeed 3 too. Like Vash13 suggested, Swedespeed's forums should be able to give you more insight into the S40 and BCMazda3's forum has a lot of information for the Mazda 3
artofstance on twitter
Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photographers Enthusiasts
--------------------------------------------
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
1999 Mazda Miata *sold*
2005 Mazda 3 *sold*
2002 Volvo S40 *RIP*
1989 Volvo 740 *RIP*
Matsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-18-2011, 07:58 AM   #5
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
+1 for the T5 not the best sounding engine but was good on gas considering it was a xc70 that weighed quite a bit, volvo also makes some of the best seats in the industry and I'd like to see how alternative cars stack up
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-18-2011, 11:01 AM   #6
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,377 Times in 445 Posts
There won't be any modding going on, lol.

Strictly a DD and the car isn't for me. It's for a woman. So Mazda 3 Speed is out of the question.

Thanks for the tips so far. keep them coming!
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High
[19-10, 22:51] how many post do I need before I can fail TOS'D posts.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:03 PM   #7
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

the s40 is a great car, and the most reliable of the line up of volvos.

unfourtunately when it comes newish fwd volvos - parts are quite expensive.

if its strickly for DD status without any fun, i recomment the 2.4i N/A engine because its just more reliable.

A t5 is an awesome engine as well, but you have more plumbing + more components to work around.

I'm not sure if this affects things like different brakes and suspension systems, but ultimately its a difference of price in parts.

The same difference between say an 850 N/A and an 850T5.

The different between N/A and Turbo is also the type of fuel grade required. Regular vs. Premium.

If you're an enthusiast that enjoys constant spirited driving, go for the turbo model. If its going to be lady driven and putting around town, get the N/A model.

The only downfalls I can think of for the s40 is water leaks, and wheel bearings.

When going to check one out, make sure all the carpets are dry. They are prone to water leaks.

Also while on a test drive, try to listen to see if there is any wheel bearing noise.

best of luck on your search.

1995 BMW 530i
1990 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2002 Ford Explorer EB V8 4x4
2005 Acura RSX Type-S (SOLD)
1999 BMW 540i
skylinergtr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: