REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
Meow

Car Loan + Student Loan

Hey, so I am 19 years old, and im planning to go back to school this sept, its 2 years of school, totaling at 12,000. I want to get a student loan for it.
I also want to buy a $20,000 car now threw financing. I have no credit, but a co-sign with amazing credit. I know I could probably get a car. The big questions is, could i do both? If i can't its obvious i rather have a student loan.
Advertisement
Araaadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
Every person is different, nobody is you. Go apply and find out. In theory of course you could, as long as your co-signer is strong like you say. You will probably have to be the co-signer though and use that person as primary if you apply forthe student loan first. If you don't make much money you won't be approved for the car because your debt-service will be above 40%, ie your monthly payments can not be over 40% of your income after adding a car payment. So if you make 1000/month, your max would be 400/month for all your monthly costs, like mortgage student loans rent and car payment.
Posted via RS Mobile
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
Meow

Well i'm planning on getting the car first. I'm just scared i get the car and everything is good. Then when i go to apply for school, i can't get a loan and i'm fucked for the 5 years till the car is paid. If that's the case i rather take the risk with a cheap beater till i'm done school.
Araaadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:15 PM   #4
VLS Head Mod

Get a cheap beater. Things may have changed since I went to school but basically I remember that if you owned a car then they expected you to sell it to help finance schooling
Posted via RS Mobile
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:18 PM   #5
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
you are about to make the worst financial decision of your life by dropping 20k on a car before having a solid education/work. i dont understand why people out of hs do this, and then ask for help when they are stuck in a rut.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2011, 10:59 PM   #6
Raping Captured Dolphins since 2002 on EZ board days

Why can't we fail you in this forum?!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
I give a lot of people rim jobs.
My Feedback
RFlush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:04 PM   #7
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

No point getting a nice car unless you have the money, school is more important and when you finish school, and land a good job, you can buy whateverfucking car you want.
6insomnia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-21-2011, 01:12 AM   #8
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
$32,000 in debt when you can be only $12,000 in debt. I don't understand why people like putting themselves in debt needlessly. Too much spending and too little saving. It sucks when you wake up and realize you owe someone money.

Its not worth it if you have to borrow for a car... If you had the cash or your parents were going to help you out go for it.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:45 AM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,205 Times in 384 Posts
It may seem like only $20000 but factor in tax, interest, newer cars are more expensive to insure, repair, maintain etc. This doesn't even factor in that your car is a depreciating assset.

Approximate numbers but consider the fact that you would have to actually "earn" $30000 pre-tax to pay $20000 post income tax. I don't know your financial situation but a decision to buy a car could last for years.

Get a beater civic, 87 octane, cheap insurance, cheap parts.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:53 AM   #10
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

school is definitely more important right now. If only you have the money to buy-out the car and maintain, then maybe.

As a student, you will most likely be going from point A to B, why need a 20 000 car that forcing you into more debt? insurance and gas isn't cheap too.

edit: i was in the same position as you before. I had the money to buy a car and go to school, but i chose school + a beater ( and this is still getting me broke)
Old 04-21-2011, 08:59 AM   #11
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

First of all, if you're 19, your student loan funding is going to depend heavily on your parents income (unless you have children or have been out of their home for several years). You are not likely going to get the whole 12,000 you need, let alone enough to cover your living expenses.

Meaning you're going to have to find an alternate source of funding for the short fall + your living expenses as is.

On top of that, at 19 you can't possibly have a substancial reduction in your car insurance on a $20,000 car you'd be looking at a payment of $240/month in insurance + about $300/month in car payments... + gas (we'll say you drive a minimum and give you $200/month).

So before you feed yourself and pay the remainder of your living expenses, and your short fall for your school costs, JUST to to keep your car on the road $740/month.

Get the beater.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:03 AM   #12
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
$32,000 in debt when you can be only $12,000 in debt.
Dont you know? It doesnt matter how much debt you have in Vancouver, as long as everyone else thinks you're cool! Thats the trend, at least in this city...

I would agree with everyone else, the car can wait. You can get that anytime, an education not so much especially later on in life
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:17 AM   #13
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
Don't listen to logic! Go for the car!!! Lol
Posted via RS Mobile
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:18 PM   #14
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I made a mistake when I bought a car when I was 21. Didn't really think about school actually. I just wanted a car of my choice. 4yrs later. Still paying for it and 2yrs ago. Wish I would have went to school instead. Do yourself a favour. Save up for school. Enough said!!!!
Posted via RS Mobile
DavidNguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: