REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-28-2011, 07:39 AM   #276
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
Miata's came with a whopping 100whp/90wtq in the 1.6L cars, and yet many people can't seem to touch the Spec Miata lap times at a lot of tracks all over the states. Hell, the Spec Miata record at Mission is 1:17.xxx. That's fucking fast for a low HP car. My 300whp'd Miata only does 1:14's and that's with me driving the balls off it (and lots of experience on that track).

When will people realize it's not all about power. Power is nice, but a fast car does it not make.
Advertisement

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-28-2011, 07:53 AM   #277
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
What bothers me is that toyota kept saying owners will mod it so we made it easier to mod than most. Well eff that there are lazy but rich people out there when it comes to cars. If the sti motor is supposed to go in without much sweat why don't you sell us one with it then!?
Posted via RS Mobile
Because "rich" people do not buy 30k cars. This car is to appeal to people who just start out in career with some spare money.

As for 2.5l, or turbo, that's what mid cycle changes are for. This current one maybe "SR5" of the 86
Old 11-28-2011, 08:01 AM   #278
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
What bothers me is that toyota kept saying owners will mod it so we made it easier to mod than most. Well eff that there are lazy but rich people out there when it comes to cars. If the sti motor is supposed to go in without much sweat why don't you sell us one with it then!?
Posted via RS Mobile
Because nobody would buy a 40k-50k+ Toyota/Scion anymore. They would have to badge it a Lexus which isn't their intention. Subaru would more likely sell an STI version.

Toyota is only selling a base for a great car. The 7th gen Celica was a great car until they dropped that pos engine in there that doesn't response to mods at all.

It has potential, depends on the price tag.
Posted via RS Mobile
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:42 AM   #279
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzz View Post
that is such a pile of crap

seems like every excuse around low HP cars revolve around 'better handling'. Well shit, of course it handles better, because it is so slow there is no chance for it to go off track.

Hell, even my gf made fun of 180 hp cars on tv commercials back then like 10+ years ago.

Im going to enjoy my 500+ hp cars while you enjoy 200 hp cars. I am gonna be the first one that say it, that doesn't even make any sense.
You have to consider its price before complaining about power. A VW GTI or Civic Si makes about the same power but it is FWD. Even if the toyota had less hp I'd take it for the RWD.

Better handling is no excuse, it is a valid selling point. You have a 500hp car and you can maybe use 20-30% of its capabilities on the road. Or you can have a 200hp car with responsive steering, good brakes, good tires, suspension set up so it turns well, RWD, slick 6 speed, and lightness that puts a smile on your face even during daily driving duties. This is a car made for car enthusiasts who like driving - there are still many people out there that are like that I believe.

Some lotus elises come with less power from a toyota engine and you don't see anyone complaining. What is their thought behind making cars? Good handling and lightness is enough.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-28-2011, 09:05 AM   #280
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,336 Times in 198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
You have to consider its price before complaining about power. A VW GTI or Civic Si makes about the same power but it is FWD. Even if the toyota had less hp I'd take it for the RWD.

Better handling is no excuse, it is a valid selling point. You have a 500hp car and you can maybe use 20-30% of its capabilities on the road. Or you can have a 200hp car with responsive steering, good brakes, good tires, suspension set up so it turns well, RWD, slick 6 speed, and lightness that puts a smile on your face even during daily driving duties. This is a car made for car enthusiasts who like driving - there are still many people out there that are like that I believe.

Some lotus elises come with less power from a toyota engine and you don't see anyone complaining. What is their thought behind making cars? Good handling and lightness is enough.
Or I can have a 4-500hp car with responsive steering, good brakes, good tires, suspension set up so it turns well, RWD, and slick 6 speed.

Coming from a guy who has driven from a civic to a 3er to a m3 to a r8 v10, and driven in asia and NA, I can assure you that I will not have a smile when I have to drive a sub-200 hp car when I come home everyday where I have to climb a steep ass hill to Midlevels. Hell even in Kerrisdale I had to climb a steep hill in my back alley every day. This is just one example.

Lotus doesn't even compare, wtf?
Zyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-28-2011, 09:13 AM   #281
#savethemanuals

Quote:
Or I can have a 4-500hp car with responsive steering, good brakes, good tires, suspension set up so it turns well, RWD, and slick 6 speed.

Coming from a guy who has driven from a civic to a 3er to a m3 to a r8 v10, and driven in asia and NA, I can assure you that I will not have a smile when I have to drive a sub-200 hp car when I come home everyday where I have to climb a steep ass hill to Midlevels. Hell even in Kerrisdale I had to climb a steep hill in my back alley every day. This is just one example.

Lotus doesn't even compare, wtf?
civic to a 3er to a m3 to a r8 v10??

You missed the point. Look at the price for the power and the 86 is reasonable. If you have the cash to blow for an R8 then you won't buy an 86. But for those maybe just graduated or even students this is a good car. And that is their target market anyway, not people who can afford M3s or AMGs.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:14 AM   #282
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
Because nobody would buy a 40k-50k+ Toyota/Scion anymore. They would have to badge it a Lexus which isn't their intention. Subaru would more likely sell an STI version.

Toyota is only selling a base for a great car. The 7th gen Celica was a great car until they dropped that pos engine in there that doesn't response to mods at all.

It has potential, depends on the price tag.
Posted via RS Mobile
True but as it sits even with STI motor it has to be priced well below STI money....at most WRX money....because of its missing 4WD and all those gadgetry of an STi.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:15 AM   #283
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
The hell is wrong with the people...

Comparing this to a m3
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:19 AM   #284
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,336 Times in 198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by death_blossom View Post
can't agree with you more. this car is all about bringing back the raw driving feel that has been numbed down in most modern cars today.
Quote:
You have a 500hp car and you can maybe use 20-30% of its capabilities on the road. Or you can have a 200hp car with responsive steering, good brakes, good tires, suspension set up so it turns well, RWD, slick 6 speed, and lightness that puts a smile on your face even during daily driving duties.
I am merely responding to these 2 posts, where there are strong implications in them saying that these cars are more 'fun', 'raw' *insert other subjective adjectives here* than most modern real sport cars.

I am not saying this is a bad car. I had fun when I drove the civic too. But to post stuff like the above is just disrespectful to their owners.

Last edited by Zyzz; 11-28-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Zyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #285
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

raw and fun, at an affordable price. how's that?
Old 11-28-2011, 10:38 AM   #286
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,509 Times in 4,311 Posts
Hyde v2.0

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-28-2011, 11:10 AM   #287
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
I would say people would still pay near $100,000 for a Toyota.
What if they bring back the Supra?

Look at the Nissan GT-R for example...it's only a Nissan.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:47 AM   #288
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
We should all be thankful that Toyota is at least attempting to make a sporty car.
Honda has forced us to talk about the S2000 for the last 10 years and dream about NSX shaped unicorns.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:01 PM   #289

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
the attempt was good,

but what the hell were they thinking using the STI motor, but without the turbo?

no matter how you put it, it may be "fun" "sporty" "raw" ect ect.

the fuckin car is still 30 grand, and only has 200hp, and is advertised as a sport compact.

jesus the car will barely be able to go up a steep hill, especially with heavy 18/19 inch wheels

have a spare set of tires in the back, and a passenger,

you aint goin anywhere in a hurry
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:11 PM   #290
RS Veteran

E30/E36 M3 Spec E30
Porsche 911SC / Carerra
Mazda Miata / Spec
Lotus Elan
Toyota MR2 / MR-S
Spec E30
Honda CRX
Integra Type-R
EG6 / EK9 / EM1 /EP3
Nissan S13/14/15

All a pile of crap and hella slow. Yeah.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 11-28-2011, 12:22 PM   #291

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
all developted 15+ years ago,

you dont see a problem when a motor and car developed in 2013 is being out performed by 20 year old cars? stock?
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:29 PM   #292
RS Veteran

The point is, newer cars have come a long way in terms of manufacturing and engineering. Newer cars are much more refined and better built. More efficient engines, fuel injection systems, drive train, suspension and software. Not everything is about big numbers. I can hop into an E30 325i and have a blast driving that over an Acura CSX.

Everybody went gaga over the Hyundai Genesis. Oh, wow. A 2.0T engine built by Mitsubishi.

Oh and for the record, they are using a horizontal-4 naturally aspirated motor. This is not the same as an STI motor w/o a turbo. The specs are nowhere near the same.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #293
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
I hope that if this sells well, it will spark Honda to get on their assess on a proper sports car.

HSV in production?? OMGWTF
Old 11-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #294
#savethemanuals

Quote:
I am merely responding to these 2 posts, where there are strong implications in them saying that these cars are more 'fun', 'raw' *insert other subjective adjectives here* than most modern real sport cars.

I am not saying this is a bad car. I had fun when I drove the civic too. But to post stuff like the above is just disrespectful to their owners.
Never said that the 86 is better than an m3. It's that a cheap simple car can provide driving enjoyment. Why do people buy an m3 anyway? Because its the most expensive 3 series? Because it has 420hp? If not for the status people buy it because it is just good to drive. Much like an 86 will be good to drive (as long as Toyota doesn't screw anything up).

There aren't many modern sports cars that are in the same segment as the 86 if you think about it... Actually there is only the miata maybe the 2.0 genesis. That along with the fwd civic si, mazdaspeed3 and gti. Go up a level and you have 370z, Evo, sti etc.

It has everything you need in a sports car with a respectable amount of horsepower and is priced in the range of most people. Definitely something to respect.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 11-28-2011, 12:59 PM   #295
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
I can assure you that I will not have a smile when I have to drive a sub-200 hp car when I come home everyday where I have to climb a steep ass hill to Midlevels.
Quote:

But to post stuff like the above is just disrespectful to their owners.
PKB?

"Real" sports cars are are light and agile, not the pigs that manufacturers are pushing out today that are closing in on 4000 lbs.

I'm glad to see there'll be a light, affordable, fun car available soon - and that puts a smile on my face as there hasn't been a lot in this segment to choose from after the Celica and RSX vanished - and this car will be RWD!
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:08 PM   #296
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

i want the FR-S so freakin' BAD
JD35 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-28-2011, 02:42 PM   #297
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Quote:
There aren't many modern sports cars that are in the same segment as the 86 if you think about it... Actually there is only the miata maybe the 2.0 genesis.
Posted via RS Mobile
The Genesis Coupe is a pig and belong to a different class. The RX-8 and MX-5 are both more relevant to the 86.

Now that I think about it, 30k depends on the options is not that bad. How much is the RX-8? Starting 40k+,have almost no torque and power is at 212hp. Nobody complains about it because its handling is superb...and for fuck sakes, it isn't because "it's too slow that it can't go off the track"

If you don't like to rev, then this car isn't for you. You can go buy luxury cars with V12, V10 engines, wall of torques at any given RPM so you can waft with your automatic gearbox.

I also see this under the hood in the future:

Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:15 PM   #298
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
Toyota has finally developd some lightweight RWD car that we've all been begging for and people are still complaining?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredAtWork View Post

As for 2.5l, or turbo, that's what mid cycle changes are for. This current one maybe "SR5" of the 86
+1...i can't believe no one has brought this up yet in here. even If they are going to throw a turbo in with 300whp...it's going to cannibalize STI sales. It's meant to be a car that starts at 25k...not meant to play with the Evolution, 370z,Impreza STI
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-28-2011, 03:59 PM   #299
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

they should sell the GT86 w/o an engine, lol. then the crazy tuners can dump in whatever engine they want.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:59 PM   #300
'

Thanked 6,557 Times in 1,111 Posts
speaking of the size comparison