REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-02-2011, 10:41 PM   #376
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
A couple of reviews for the Subaru BROZ:

Motor Trend

Spoiler!

Road and Track

Spoiler!
Advertisement
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-03-2011, 12:37 AM   #377
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
TRD Supercharged 86

Toyota Already Planning More Powerful, Supercharged TRD 86?
By Mike Magrath | December 2, 2011

This is the rumor we've been expecting since the minute we learned that the 86, FR-S and BRZ would come to the market with a naturally aspirated, 200 horsepower boxer four: Autocar is reporting that Toyota is currently evaluating a higher-horsepower 86 and prefer supercharging.

200 horsepower was sufficient for a sports car in 1991. Sure, this one doesn't weigh a lot, but even so, 200 horsepower isn't enough to make this one fun for people who don't understand the phrase "conservation of momentum." Supercharging should fix that...

Speaking with Toyota Chief engineer Tetsuo Tada, Autocar is reporting that not only is Toyota considering a supercharged 86, but that test mules are already being evaluated by TRD.

And that's where this one goes from wild rumor to real possibility. TRD already sells supercharger kits and has since '98. The most popular being the one for the US market Tacoma which kicks power from 233 to 301. An additional 70 horsepower sure would help this little car run with the big boys even if it does add weight.

TRD offering a supercharger is a great idea, but it leaves Subaru a little behind. They'll either need to figure out an aftermarket system of their own, or offer a factory turbocharged BRZ. Subaru fanbois simply couldn't cope with the idea of a supercharged, rear-drive Subie.

Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-03-2011, 12:41 AM   #378
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
Nice, return of TRD.
that means honda is going to fight back with a Type-R... hopefully done properly for the usdm market as well
Old 12-03-2011, 12:43 AM   #379
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,284 Times in 420 Posts
Timpo, werent you the one that originally created the new thread for "86"

It got merged........now another one just for the supercharged 86???!

Sky_High is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-03-2011, 12:52 AM   #380
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

rotrex are better then roots this is one reason Jackson racing stopped using roots blows this is why hks uses them

speed is what increases boost thus why people use pulleys

at full song the bleed valve is shut in less cracked open a little to control traction in certain gears ect like the cobalt ss with it's lack of traction or at idel when just sitting or putting around with lots of vacuum

as for pumping action that is funny a properly balanced turbo system is by far hands down better

this is why most cars made today are all turbo and the charger's are dieing out

the only plus side of a super charger kit is dealer ship's can install them rather quick and make a buck by saveing time.

I am pretty much down explaining this there not much more to be side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over9K View Post
Actually, centrifugal superchargers are the worst ones out there...

/face fucking palm.

Turbo's are not free power...piston has to work harder to push the exhaust gasses out as there is back pressure in the system (turbocharger.) AKA, pumping loss.

Or you can mess with the bypass valve to increase boost... They're adjustable.

Electro magnetic clutches will eventually fail.

92 Toyota supra highly modified (The ice cream will never have a chance to melt)
89 exo cage Toyota truck (so many gears to choose from)

I own nothing that is practical hahahaha
NashMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:56 AM   #381
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
interesting to see a flat 4 getting supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:12 AM   #382
not the mod you're looking for

Thanked 1,537 Times in 556 Posts
More info:
Quote:
No sooner have we seen the real car at the Tokyo Motor Show, than reports emerge claiming that Toyota is working on a faster version of the 86 sports coupe. Autocar reports that Toyota is investigating a supercharger for the 86’s 2.0-liter Boxer-four engine.

The stock engine in the 86 (and, by extension, the Subaru BRZ and U.S.-market Scion FR-S) produces 197 hp and 151 lb-ft of torque. Those figures are certainly adequate for a compact coupe weighing a tad less than 3000 pounds, but Toyota still plans for more oomph.

Toyota chief engineer Tetsuo Tada told Autocar that his company is evaluating supercharged versions of the 86 engine. Developed by Toyota Racing Development, the superchargers apparently provide better throttle response than if the company used a turbocharger. The upgrade could boost the GT 86’s output figures to about 250 hp. Tada also said that Toyota is considered suspension upgrades for a hotter version of the car.

The Toyota 86 is factory-rated to run from 0 to 60 mph in 6.8 seconds, so we can safely expect a supercharged version to slip below the six-second barrier. TRD already sells aftermarket superchargers for the Toyota FJ Cruiser, 4Runner, Sequoia, Tacoma, and Tundra. For its part, Subaru has shown a concept version of a higher-performance BRZ STI with carbon-fiber parts, stiffer suspension, and other upgrades — but it’s unknown whether that car would have more power than the factory rating of 197 hp.

Read more: http://rumors.automobilemag.com/repo...#ixzz1fSuKumeE
Quote:
It’s been a long two years for Toyota enthusiasts, with the brand having initially teased its FT-86 concept way back in 2009. But the wait is almost over — after numerous concepts and pre-production cars wearing the FT-86, Scion FR-S, Subaru BRZ names, Toyota has taken the wraps off of its rear-wheel drive project with Subaru and given it an official name (at least for Europe): the GT 86.

Toyota says the name GT 86 is a nod to the brand’s GT days in Europe when the Corolla GT (or Levin) AE86, was winning British Touring Car championships and rally events in the 1980s. The GT 86 is taking the stage at this week’s 2011 Tokyo auto show, roughly two years after the first concept took the stage at the 2009 Tokyo show. At this point it’s unclear if the FT-86 name will be used at all, we’ll know more shortly.

In European-spec trim, the GT 86 outputs 197 horsepower at 7000 rpm, and 205 Nm (151 lb-ft) at 6,600 rpm from Subaru’s updated 2.0-liter Boxer four with a12.5:1 compression ratio and Toyota’s D-4S injection technology added on to help better deliver power across the rev range.

The engine will be mated to either a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic with paddle shifters and a limited-slip differential will help put the power down to the rear wheels. So far we don’t have any official performance estimates, but the car is rumored to be able to hit 60 mph in about 6.5 seconds.

Read more: Toyota Unveils GT 86 (FT-86) Before Tokyo Debut - Rumor Central

FN-2199 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:42 AM   #383
My homepage has been set to RS

92 240sx - dd/project car
88 CRX - sold
98 DC2 - sold

Renting out pbm fender roller - pm for details.
satek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:11 AM   #384
Editor

Thanked 3,179 Times in 874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High View Post
Timpo, werent you the one that originally created the new thread for "86"

It got merged........now another one just for the supercharged 86???!

which is why I merged these two.
God damn it Timpo, keep it in ONE thread.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:53 PM   #385
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashMan View Post
I tired explaining this to you but you have a one tracked mind that does not want to look any furth then his own nose.
There are both pros and cons on both forced induction units

witch you have not explained at all besides jibber jabber

open you eyes and stop focusing on one point and look at it as a hole.

what bothers me the most is I bet the brz will sell more then Toyota will in both boosted and n/a models

because they look alike to much what will cause some issue's and if subru does go a head with the turbo they will have the upper hand in the tuner market

I just wish they treated it like the eclipse and talon were like and at least made them look different as possible.

ya never know I may like this car sure but I don't like how Toyota handle it to were it is now.

there is one neat thing that did come to my mind was if both units did comes this way

I would just grab both induction units and then make them into one compound setup (:

but now i am just being silly

Your missing a few points. When people think Subaru they think of tree hugging hippies and AWD cars that are good in the snow. Second thing is price. If 2 cars look alike the cheaper one will sell more, horsepower is not everything. I bet the Toyota/Scion models will outsell the BRZ.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:55 PM   #386
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
If 2 cars look alike the cheaper one will sell more, horsepower is not everything. I bet the Toyota/Scion models will outsell the BRZ.
Matrix vs Vibe, same car, very different stories

Pontiac discounted the Vibe, and it still didn't sell as many as the Matrix. Likewise I agree with you, the Toyota will outsell the Subaru just cause its a Toyota.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:56 AM   #387
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,284 Times in 420 Posts
One and half year ago......

!
Sky_High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:59 AM   #388
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashMan View Post
rotrex are better then roots this is one reason Jackson racing stopped using roots blows this is why hks uses them

speed is what increases boost thus why people use pulleys

at full song the bleed valve is shut in less cracked open a little to control traction in certain gears ect like the cobalt ss with it's lack of traction or at idel when just sitting or putting around with lots of vacuum

as for pumping action that is funny a properly balanced turbo system is by far hands down better

this is why most cars made today are all turbo and the charger's are dieing out

the only plus side of a super charger kit is dealer ship's can install them rather quick and make a buck by saveing time.

I am pretty much down explaining this there not much more to be side
I have a 297whp 1.6L Rotrex supercharged Miata at 15PSI. Rotrex > PD Superchargers.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:24 AM   #389
RabidMod

Thanked 1,100 Times in 408 Posts
Posted on s2ki:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDLiquidSilver
having driven the car more than a few times.

S owners who love their S when they finally drive the GT-86/FR-S will love the car. there's something familiar but not familiar about the car.

the engine sweetspot like i've said before all the media write ups is between 3k and 6500k, there's really no need to push it beyond 7k. in fact when i first drove it the cut-off from what i remember was at 7900-8k rpms and recently the pre-production was cutting sooner at 7600rpms. when you do feel the 2nd cam kick in at 3k its very linear and then tapers off past 7k. the car doesn't need to shift as much as the S entering and exiting into corners. powerwise how does it compare to the S? comparable, but the S is stronger up top. they could've given it a bit more power but there's a reason why it has 200hp.

cool feature that they learned from the LFA. they pumped engine noise into the cabin, at first your going to roll down the window thinking its better to hear but in actuality its better to hear it when the windows are up. the sound is like a subie at idle through 3k but not from 4-7k, weird. in fact that's the only reason the push it beyond 7k just so you can hear the engine. it sounds great on 4 to 3 to 2nd downshifts.

shifter is not S-like but what is. it's direct with a little bit of notchiness entering the gates but not like the 350z more miata like in feel. the pedals are perfect for heel and toe for my 10.5 feet. also the throttle pedal is mounted to the firewall like your pushing down a button, its not a j-arm or floor mounted like some supercars. great driving position for all drivers even for those who are above 6'3". plenty of seat travel, there's height adjustment with a tilt and telescope wheel. also even with the seats set to the lowest setting along with the wheel, my 5' 10" frame could still see perfectly out where the doors and dash wasn't above my shoulders. also, the alcantara red stitched seats are well bolstered on both the torso and thigh area. if you can get people in the back they're also treated with "rear passenger" sport bucket like seats.

the suspension is actually better than the S. driving it on LA freeways compared to the S is a lot more forgiving but you would think that would affect the handling, not! its fluid, agile, direct and super responsive to inputs. in fact a lot of people will probably hate it when they read it, its actualy a little better than the S. the best and easiest way i can say it. if you've ever driven the 3rd gen mr2 or miatas and then drove the S, that's what it feels like. the S though is a little flatter during constant left to right transitions where the FR-S has a little more body roll but not by much.

i wondered after getting in the S how the car would do if it was fitted with stickier summer tires with a staggered wheel and tire set-up, thought-thought-thought.... it will actually ruin it. it will understeer more whereas it transitions so easily and when the rear breaks loose its very progressive, unlike the S. even new rwd drivers with enough seat time will learn how to control this car right away. its off-flick-gas-opposite-super wide grin, and....... its not scary, you and it is very-very much in control. everything from the power, the chassis, the suspension and its michelin primacy mxm4 tires works in perfect harmony.

only gripes with usdm FR-S. the interior materials (dash, door sills, front seats, steering wheel) are of very nice quality and that's because it is shared with GT-86 and BRZ. the a/c controls were lifted from the corolla, tc, yaris, xb parts bin, where the GT and BRZ has digital dials with toggles. also we won't get the smart key with push button start but these features might make it with RS series. tms fought hard to keep them but we want to undercut the price of the BRZ when its avialbale stateside, and we are still negotiating final price with tmmc.

if your looking for a 2+2 S or even a car that similar to the S but you can't get a new one, the FR-S is it. another huge plus will be the price point for a lightweight fun to drive rwd coupe.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:08 AM   #390
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
nice power, that must be alot of fun in a light car like a miata.

I would love to see a TRD kit for the FR-S/BRZ. Look at the kits they have for the other Toyotas, you get a perfectly fitting kit with a warranty, installed by the dealer, and can roll the cost into your purchase so it only costs you a few extra bucks per month on your payment.

granted they aren't the highest hp gains compared to aftermarket, but sometimes all you need is a simple bump in power.
Enraged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:24 AM   #391

Toyota considers Supra revival

Quote:
The Japanese giant is set to rediscover its sporty mojo.

Two more sports cars could be developed by Toyota, including a spiritual successor to its cult car, the Supra. The man responsible for the development of the company's new 86 sports car, chief engineer Tetsuya Tada, says there is room for a three-tier sports car line-up in the Toyota range, with one car sitting below the 86 and one above it.

If they were to be made, the three new sports cars would return Toyota to its former two-door glory days, when sports cars were as important to its line-up - and as iconic - as the LandCruiser.

''Right now the 86 will be a mid-size sports car,'' he told Drive through an interpreter.

''I would like to have one smaller and one larger. One would probably be a Supra follower. Nothing has been decided yet. It would [be] like a Supra successor.''

He said the car could be another joint venture with Subaru, which co-developed the 86 (or BRZ as the Subaru is known) but it would depend on the concept.

Subaru has a chequered history with two-door sports cars. The wedge-shaped Vortex of the 1980s and the chunky, expensive and oddly styled SVX struggled to find buyers in the 1990s.

Toyota's sports car history is more comprehensive, encompassing the Celica, mid-engined MR2 and flagship Supra. Each was successful but they have all been discontinued in the past decade. The Supra was an iconic sports car that Toyota produced from the late '70s to 2002. Powered by an in-line six-cylinder engine, it was popular in Australia in the early '90s - although it was discontinued here in 1993 - and fast became a favourite of car tuners.

Grey imports (sold through small importers, not Toyota dealers) were common and gave buyers access to relatively affordable, sleek-looking, high-performance sports cars. Even today the Supra is a popular coupe with enthusiasts and those looking for something different. Modified Supras can still fetch more than $30,000.

It's not yet known if any Supra successor would use the Supra nameplate. Many expected the new coupe to adopt the Celica label but Toyota instead chose to name the car loosely after the AE86 Corolla/Sprinter, which was a favourite of drift enthusiasts.

Heritage counts for plenty in the sports car world - Porsche's 911 is the most iconic, even leading to a buyer uprising when word spread of plans in the 1980s to shelve the rear-engine coupe and replace it with a more conventional front-engine V8 - but all-new models can also squeeze their way into a market segment that's more about image and branding than outright sales. The Audi TT is one example.

Toyota is trying to shake off its reputation for building dull but dependable cars and the 86 is a key part of the company's push to have cars that are ''fun to drive''.

Toyota adopted the catchphrase ''Fun to drive'' in the 1980s but discontinuing sports cars such as the Supra, Celica and MR2 has taken lustre off the brand in recent years. Under president and car enthusiast, Akio Toyoda, the company is looking to return to its sports car roots.

''Personally, I love the smell of gasoline and the sound of an engine, so I hope that this type of vehicle never disappears,'' he told the media at the Tokyo Motor Show this week.

''I hope that motor vehicles will continue to provide dreams and inspiration to people for all eras. I believe that if it is not fun, it is not a car.

''I truly believe that no matter how advanced cars become, it is important to retain this feeling.''

Tada said Toyoda was keen to have a Supra replacement if the numbers added up.
My guess is this project will largely depends on the success of the 86/FRS.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:05 PM   #392
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
86 is considered mid-sized?
hard to see them make anything smaller unless they wanna go after honda's EV-STER or whatever

I would like to see an improved IS-F on a new IS chassis before they think about the Supra.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:10 PM   #393
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
If the FR-S does well, and if the Supra is a success, Toyota should revive the "sport" 4-door RWD sedan in the North American market under a Toyota/Scion nameplate, ie. reviving the Chaser. The IS is still available, but I'd rather have the Chaser.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #394
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

$5 says the new supra comes with a diesel/electric option ;P
Old 12-04-2011, 01:29 PM   #395
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu View Post
Wouldn't doubt a Supra hybrid.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:47 PM   #396

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu View Post
Only $5?

Actually it was rumored to be a hybrid at first. Correct name is FT-HS concept. Toyoda seems to love old school gasoline engine though. We'll see.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:00 PM   #397
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
No more pissing contests. You want to argue about power curves and superchargers, make your own damned thread.

Points and/or ban depending on how I feel.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-04-2011, 11:14 PM   #398
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts

Kuroki Meisa official theme song for BRZ.....unfortunately it's crappy audio quality. Anyone found the HD nice one lemme know.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:16 PM   #399

The Masters Of AWD Nail RWD

Spoiler!
This post thanked by:
Old 12-05-2011, 02:28 PM   #400
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,191 Times in 2,411 Posts
As a guy who's dream-car list as a kid included the Mazda Miata and the Datsun 240Z, I must say this car sounds better and better as these first-drive reviews start trickling in.

I am very, very excited for this car.

Pleasantly surprised to hear the comments on the powerband as well.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote