REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-22-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I need a dual color powder-coater

Hello, I have a little project going on with my bike. I need my rims coated black with the outer dish coated metallic or candy red. I Had a guy lined up who said he could do this, but just as i get my wheels off he's leaving town for a while.

It's easy enough to find some one who will do a single color but they wont do dual.

The following parts I need coated:
2 Clip Handle bars solid red
1 Kick stand: solid red
2 Wheels Red and Black

This style:

I live in Chilliwack so some one closer would be better but I can travel too.
If any one has a ball park estimate in mind that would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Mr Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
I bringith the lowerballerith

key coating in north van...behind COVE BIKE SHOP

Air'd Out Honda Fit
Rb30 BNR32
felixy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:00 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

rainbow powerdercoating. i've used them for a while with good results.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:11 AM   #4
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Don't you have to take the wheels apart to do that?
Old 04-23-2011, 02:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Don't you have to take the wheels apart to do that?
Remove any parts that would be damaged from the heat: tire, valve stem, wheel bearings(in the case of a motorcycle wheel). But that is as far as it goes, there is no way to take a part a solid mag-wheel

Thanks for the suggestions, sadly no one has been answering their phones today. Any one have suggestions I can use east of the portman(surry,langley,abbotsford)?
Old 04-23-2011, 09:41 AM   #6

Long weekend man...

Rainbow is almost like a hobby for the guy so he's not always there. Best prices in town and he does quality work (I used him when I worked at RMS and John Valk for M/C stuff like swingarms and wheels). You just have to go by his time. Leave a message and he will call you back.

Any reason why you want to powdercoat the wheels? A shop like Greens could do exactly what you want with paint (used them too when I was at RMS) and with the wheel paint they use it will be just as chip resistant. And M/C wheels are fairly cheap to paint by them IIRC.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
Long weekend man...

Rainbow is almost like a hobby for the guy so he's not always there. Best prices in town and he does quality work (I used him when I worked at RMS and John Valk for M/C stuff like swingarms and wheels). You just have to go by his time. Leave a message and he will call you back.

Any reason why you want to powdercoat the wheels? A shop like Greens could do exactly what you want with paint (used them too when I was at RMS) and with the wheel paint they use it will be just as chip resistant. And M/C wheels are fairly cheap to paint by them IIRC.
Mostly because, from what i understand of paint and powder, if i want a candy or metallic color like that in the picture i showed, it would be much more expensive to do in paint due to the cost of the paint and the way it's applied, normally those colors are between 2&4 layers to get the effect. Powder from what i understand of it is simpler or at least a cheaper product to get the effect I want. Tho I may be mistaken.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:53 PM   #8

Yes and no. You will be paying I would assume from prior experience around $130-$175ish per wheel to powdercoat a candy color. Painting will be around the same. I would get a quote on painting before doing powdercoating. Are they cast alum or mag? If they are alum, kind of a grey area as to if it's good to powdercoat them due to the high curing temps (400*f).