REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Compact Discs creator died

Quote:
Norio Ohga, former Sony president, dies

Norio Ohga (14 June 2000) Norio Ohga conducted the Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra a few times a year

The former president and chairman of Sony, Norio Ohga, who was credited with developing the compact disc, has died aged 81, the company has said.

Ohga, who led the company from 1982 to 1995, died of multiple organ failure in the Japanese capital, Tokyo.

Sony's chairman, Sir Howard Stringer, said his predecessor's foresight and vision had transformed the company into a global entertainment leader.

Ohga was still a senior adviser to the company at the time of his death.

In 1953, Sony's co-founders recruited Ohga while he was still studying at the Tokyo National University of Fine Arts and Music and hoping to pursue a career as an opera singer. They sensed his knowledge of sound and electrical engineering would benefit the firm.

He was an executive by his 30s - a rarity in a Japanese company - becoming the president of CBS Sony Records (now Sony Music Entertainment) in 1970s.

From the start, he recognised the potential of the compact disc, and personally drove Sony's initiatives to introduce the format.

During the development of the CD, it was Ohga who pushed for a disc that was 12cm (4.8in) in diameter, because it provided sufficient capacity at 75 minutes to store all of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony.

Sony sold the world's first CD in 1982 and CDs overtook LP record sales in Japan five years later. Ohga's specifications are still used today, and have shaped formats developed since, including MiniDisc and DVD.

In 1989, he oversaw the $3.4bn purchase of Hollywood studios Columbia Pictures, which was criticised as unwise and costly at the time.

Ohga also presided over the launch of Sony's game business, which went on to develop the successful "PlayStation" console.

"By redefining Sony as a company encompassing both hardware and software, Ohga-san succeeded where other Japanese companies failed," said Sony Chairman Howard Stringer, using the Japanese honorific.

"It is no exaggeration to attribute Sony's evolution beyond audio and video products into music, movies and game, and subsequent transformation into a global entertainment leader to Ohga-san's foresight and vision," he added.

Ohga stepped down as Sony's president in 1995 and continued to serve as chairman and representative director until 2000.

He was also the chairman of the Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13178548
Advertisement
StylinRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:47 PM   #2
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

rip
haha13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:33 PM   #3
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
Rip
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,517 Times in 4,907 Posts
He wanted to be an opera singer.... so cool. I know his job revolved around the music industry, but..........

This is yet another example of a successful person who has a connection with the arts. If you look at all the movers and shakers of today and in the past, most, if not all, of them have either studied music or were musicians at one point in their lives. I remember this poster that was put out by Yamaha, I believe, that pictured famous Canadian people who play or played various instruments. Very impressive list of politicians, CEO's, community leaders, etc.

Must be the band camp experience, LOLOLOLOLOLOL.

So, you young parents out there, expose your children to music and the arts. Music and brain development - it's a no brainer. Just look at all the losers that go through the education system and the losers in our society. They have one thing in common - no music or arts in their lives.

Just saiyan...............

Namo Amida Butsu, Ohga-Sensei
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-23-2011, 06:39 PM   #5
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,834 Times in 8,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
He wanted to be an opera singer.... so cool. I know his job revolved around the music industry, but..........

This is yet another example of a successful person who has a connection with the arts. If you look at all the movers and shakers of today and in the past, most, if not all, of them have either studied music or were musicians at one point in their lives. I remember this poster that was put out by Yamaha, I believe, that pictured famous Canadian people who play or played various instruments. Very impressive list of politicians, CEO's, community leaders, etc.

Must be the band camp experience, LOLOLOLOLOLOL.

So, you young parents out there, expose your children to music and the arts. Music and brain development - it's a no brainer. Just look at all the losers that go through the education system and the losers in our society. They have one thing in common - no music or arts in their lives.

Just saiyan...............

Namo Amida Butsu, Ohga-Sensei
But... arts are for losers!!!! Must study math.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:08 PM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

sez your chinese parents
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:32 PM   #7
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Working until the day he tired.. that's hardcore.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:58 PM   #8

R.I.P
Vieet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:22 PM   #9
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts
rip to a legend
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:31 PM   #10
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,825 Times in 3,905 Posts
RIP
led Sony through its golden years...which was really the pinnacle of Japanese consumer electronics. I can count like almost dozen different appliances/ electronics in my household Made in Japan that's still in full working condition from the mid 80's to early 90's. Shit ain't the same anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
But... arts are for losers!!!! Must study math.
fail...we all know traditional asian parents forces their kids to either take violin or piano.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2011, 11:42 PM   #11
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,517 Times in 4,907 Posts
Music = Math

besides, skinny is just trolling........... oh wait......... so am I.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-24-2011, 02:48 AM   #12
I'm being watched.

RIP
essel is offline   Reply With Quote