REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 04-23-2011, 11:31 PM   #1
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,312 Times in 961 Posts
Zen Fine Chinese Cuisine

Zen Fine Chinese Cuisine:

Anyone been here? It's at Steveston Village and if you do some research, they were in the new a few years ago, after 3 differ business ventures, and a new location, they are back. The Chef's name is called Sam and they have done a lot of advertising on the Chinese radio station.

They are now doing huge 50% off promos so here's my review. * These are not my pictures and so I can't take credit at all.

1) double Boiled soup. The soap is not the regular soap that your mom makes, it's like a consume soup, where it's clear. There's no MSG at all. However, it tasted as if it was any normal soup. (if you wanted to order it on the side, it's 9 bucks). It's bout a 20 oz ... nothing too special.

2) baked diced abalone. The presentation was pretty and you can totally taste the Thai spices. However, it's a huge waste to use the abalone, dice it to bits and then stuff / baked it again. Something are best left untouched, eg// foie gras. Don't butcher it and make it a tar tar for example. You can taste the abalone and the aroma and all was great, but just a tad of a waste.

3) Lobster with cream sauce + spaghetti. Lobster was done really well. It was cooked 70%, rested and then tossed in cream sauce afterwards. Not the chinese fake sauce but the legit ones. They say the spaghetti was house made, meh. Sauce was great, lobster was done perfectly, spaghetti wasn't a huge win but over all very impressed with the light sauce balance.

4) Tofu Duo: Crispy toft (similar to encrusted with Panko). Nothing to rave about.

5) Zen pizza. They say it was filo but it wasn't. The italian bacon was nice but the pizza was soggy and wasn't good at all.

6) panna cotta dessert made with rose water was pretty good.

7) add on dishes: Pork Belly 7/10 not worth mentioning, a bit dry.
8) 1/2 a chicken 7/10 meh, not worth mentioning.

Pros: the chef and the Caucasian server guy I think is the owner. His service was totally professional, attentive AND just simply amazing. Opening the door for us when we leave, filling up water and checking on us. It was a slower night but he was great.

If you're single or has a sign. ofter , craving for good chinese food. You can't eat 6 course meal at Kirin cause you'll have so much left over food. This is great with the set menu.

Cons: The server was great, but he did not SMILE at all, which really killed it. A smile goes a long way.

The only beef I have with this place is the price. It's 60 dollars / person, and it's 50+25% off now, that made it economical. HOWEVER, the menu does NOT change. WTF..... I want options, I want changes, it's epic stupid for a chef to not make diff. dishes.

Lastly, as much as it's a cuisine, ALL the dishes were simply NO different than any other dish you get a Kirin. I wish they would have time to refresh the menu and make something that's "wow, I'm so going back cause it's the only place where I can eat it". Head chef needs to read more books, travel a bit and get some inspiration.

service was 9.9/10 (some people say it's a hit or a miss)
food 8/10
decor 8/10
Advertisement
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:34 PM   #2
Ubereem Mod

Thanks, I always wanted to try it but i find the price to be prohibitive before.

Where do i get the 50% off?
Gt-R R34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:53 PM   #3
Get Money, Get Paid

Thanked 1,264 Times in 262 Posts
Is the person in the black shirt in your picture your server? If so, he was rude and was the reason why I didn't eat there. I walked in, asked for a table for 4, he asked if I had a reservation and I said "No".

He then said "There is a 45 minute wait" and turned and walked away. Didn't ask if I wanted to wait. Gave me a real negative vibe, like his restaurant was the shit and I was stupid for even walking in there without a reservation. For what its worth, I would have waited the 45 minutes by killing time at nearby stores. It was the server's bad attitude that made me take my money somewhere else.
Volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,312 Times in 961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt-R R34 View Post
Thanks, I always wanted to try it but i find the price to be prohibitive before.

Where do i get the 50% off?
it's set menu right now that's 50+25% off, so 60 dollars became like 25 bucks or something... not bad. but... I'm a really picky eater (i try to only eat stuff that I can't personally make so I really didn't think it was that epic (besides the lobster0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvoman View Post
Is the person in the black shirt in your picture your server? If so, he was rude and was the reason why I didn't eat there. I walked in, asked for a table for 4, he asked if I had a reservation and I said "No".
he's the owner + server. People tells me he has a huge attitude problem because he's rude, but I guess I got him on a really really good day. I know people who have been there for the past 3 times that's really didn't like him.

He came from some famous restaurant from before. the waitress would bring you the dish and the caucasian guy would then have to come to explain the entire dish to you cause no one else knows what's going on.

When i left my seat, the caucasian waiter walked out the front door and opened it for me and my guest until we left and shook our hands.

I'm really lucky I got him on a good day.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote