REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Rear ended at pidestrian cross walk (https://www.revscene.net/forums/643738-rear-ended-pidestrian-cross-walk.html)

to0n 04-24-2011 08:35 PM

Rear ended at pidestrian cross walk

came to a stop to allow pedestrian to cross and a cab rear ended me. anyone have experience with this? what was the outcome?

Energy 04-24-2011 08:46 PM

His fault. 99.99% of rear enders are going to be the guy at the backs fault. Give icbc a call and get your car fixed. Good luck!

Raid3n 04-24-2011 08:53 PM

you should have no worries. did the pedestrian stop and give you contact info? that would make your case air tight and rock solid :thumbsup:

fsy82 04-26-2011 08:55 AM

I've had the same thing happened to me. I was on stevenson hwy in richmond and i had come to stop to let some kids cross at a cross walk. the driver behind didnt realize i had stopped and he slammed into pushing me through the crosswalk. thank god the kids had already passed my car. could you have imagined if they were in front of my car when the old man hit me from behind. icbc deemed him at fault.

TheNewGirl 04-26-2011 11:34 AM

Rear ending is almost always the guy behind you's fault, that's why you always are supposed to leave enough room between you and the guy in front of you to be able to stop if he stops quickly. You're good.

focus 04-28-2011 01:26 AM

oh mannn.. dont get me started about cab drivers...prolly the worst drivers after "ehem"...:whistle:

jlenko 04-29-2011 03:40 AM

My wife went through this a couple of years ago when she was pregnant. She's still dealing with ICBC, haven't settled the injury claim yet.

If you're hurt, even a little bit - get a lawyer NOW. Don't wait like we did. ICBC will screw you any way they can.

bcedhk 04-29-2011 03:59 AM

did u take pictures? like others said, is his fault. but i've dealt with a past taxi driver incident where they try to BS there way with ICBC to drag on the case.

like Jlenko said, if u start feeling neck pain, back pain or the taxi driver is making it a hassle on this simple claim, get a lawyer

winson604 04-30-2011 12:46 AM

I just have a question on whether or not it was a designated pedestrian crosswalk or you just felt like being nice and stopped because you saw somebody trying to J walk? If it's the ladder I would urge you not to do it again. Yes, I know being a good person is great and yes regardless the car behind you should always be far enough and pay attention that they can stop safely. However, it's often people who do something with the best intent that causes consequences they never thought of. Stopping when you aren't supposed to can be quite dangerous on the road. Just my 2 cents at least.

Culverin 04-30-2011 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winson604 (Post 7414626)
I just have a question on whether or not it was a designated pedestrian crosswalk or you just felt like being nice and stopped because you saw somebody trying to J walk? If it's the ladder I would urge you not to do it again. Yes, I know being a good person is great and yes regardless the car behind you should always be far enough and pay attention that they can stop safely. However, it's often people who do something with the best intent that causes consequences they never thought of. Stopping when you aren't supposed to can be quite dangerous on the road. Just my 2 cents at least.

Actually, if a pedestrian is J-walking, don't you, as a driver still have an obligation to do your best to prevent that accident? The onus is on you not to run over the pedestrian.

The onus is on the idiot tail-gating driver to pay attention to what's in front and to leave enough room for any sudden stops.

At least that's how I've understood things.

mruppal 04-30-2011 11:16 AM

cousin was in an accident similar to this, his lasted just a bit over a year and a half. he had some back problems after the incident, but ended up grabbing a ton of cash from icbc and what not

winson604 04-30-2011 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Culverin (Post 7414683)
Actually, if a pedestrian is J-walking, don't you, as a driver still have an obligation to do your best to prevent that accident? The onus is on you not to run over the pedestrian.

The onus is on the idiot tail-gating driver to pay attention to what's in front and to leave enough room for any sudden stops.

Yes but I'm not talking about stopping for a j walker who has already begun to cross. I'm talking about a J walker who is standing on the curb waiting until it's clear to go. The situation you are referring to the driver doesn't really have a choice b/c the j walker forces you into stopping but what i'm talking about is the driver making a choice that nobody expects and stopping for somebody to allow them to cross. Huge difference.

KamalB 05-21-2011 02:02 PM

his job is to leave a 2 second following distance, so he can stop his un educated cab.

taylor192 05-21-2011 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Culverin (Post 7414683)

That is correct. I have actually received this ticket "failed to prevent accident" cause the officer felt sorry for me and knocked it down from an illegal left turn.