REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #26
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
There's nothing wrong with boosting or blowing a motor. It's just awesome to see an N/A put down some good numbers... And rev to over 8k.
so is that why McLaren F1, Lamborghini Aventador, Ferrari Enzo and everything else is NA?

for the cool factor?
Advertisement

Last edited by Timpo; 04-28-2011 at 11:34 PM.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-28-2011, 03:33 PM   #27
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
absolutely gorgeous!!!
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:15 PM   #28
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Hehe already posted on topgear http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/p...tre-2011-04-28

As for the Dual Clutch vs Manual, it just depends on the driver, some people like the mechanical feel of it some people like the lightning quickness of the dual clutch...

I personally would take the manual, more fuel efficient, and just feels better as in you get control over the car..
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:40 PM   #29
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
NA engines have the kind of throttle response boosted engines can only dream about. When racing the throttle also plays a part in steering the car. Being able to modulate the throttle to change ones line works so much better when the engine instantly responds to inputs
Posted via RS Mobile
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-28-2011, 09:39 PM   #30
Resident Bullshitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daval View Post
Maybe one of the best GT3 RS ever?
no, unless they will not release a 991 GT3 RS....

the regular 991 Carrera S is already faster than then GT3RS 3.8 around the nurburgring.
.Renn.Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:01 PM   #31
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,324 Times in 249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Renn.Sport View Post
the regular 991 Carrera S is already faster than then GT3RS 3.8 around the nurburgring.
Blasphemy.
rawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:32 PM   #32

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LP670-4 SV View Post
Hehe already posted on topgear http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/p...tre-2011-04-28

As for the Dual Clutch vs Manual, it just depends on the driver, some people like the mechanical feel of it some people like the lightning quickness of the dual clutch...

I personally would take the manual, more fuel efficient, and just feels better as in you get control over the car..
not true...manual isn't more fuel efficient.

it will give you worse gas milage and makes your car slower too.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:34 AM   #33

Thanked 9,817 Times in 3,901 Posts

twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:42 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
not true...manual isn't more fuel efficient.

it will give you worse gas milage and makes your car slower too.
Do you even know how dual clutch transmissions work? A manual transmission is more efficient at transferring power. The reason many dual clutch transmissions can get better mileage is because of optimized shift points. But this only applies in city driving. On the highway a manual will always be more efficient and get better mileage.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 04-29-2011, 07:52 AM   #35
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
I love how people say that thing's awesome but put those canards, rims, stickers and wing on Civic and immediately people will call it a rice rocket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
I think the difference is functional necessity
Quoted for emphasis.
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:39 PM   #36
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post
Do you even know how dual clutch transmissions work? A manual transmission is more efficient at transferring power. The reason many dual clutch transmissions can get better mileage is because of optimized shift points. But this only applies in city driving. On the highway a manual will always be more efficient and get better mileage.
Posted via RS Mobile
If I remember correctly from watching the manufacturing of the GTR when it first came out, I believe the car contains 2 clutches which 1 operates for the odd numbers and another for the even numbers. When you shift the car, the second incoming gear is already in place and ready so when shifted, it's precise. Then the gears shifts perfectly on and on and so forth. So this will decrease the shift time and increase speed and accuracy of the gears going into place. Hence why it is faster when you have a dual clutch transmission car versus a manual clutch transmission car because there will be no pause and shifts will be constant and smooth.

I just remembered all the basics based on what I remembered when I watched TV about the production of the new GTR. Correct me if I'm wrong.
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:11 PM   #37
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
Spoken precisely like somebody who has been jerking off over Top Gear but never actually driven the real deal.

I have fairly extensive race experience, own a racecar with a 4spd dog box (about as real MAN as you can get), and I would jump at the opportunity to get the 7-spd dual clutch transmission in my street car into my racecar. If the only thing you enjoy about your car is trying to get a perfect shift, then I guess it's not for you, but to say that you cant be a real man without driving a true manual is just idiotic. Some of us actually care about performance rather than just your retarded view of manliness.

Mark
True I havent driven a flappy panel gear box. and I myself own a 4 spd manual 69 camaro RS. I wasnt talking about racing I was talking about enjoying the drive. I could give a flying fuck about your racing experience FYI.
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-29-2011, 03:25 PM   #38
I don't get it

Sex machine!
alwaysideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:26 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaoTurbo View Post
If I remember correctly from watching the manufacturing of the GTR when it first came out, I believe the car contains 2 clutches which 1 operates for the odd numbers and another for the even numbers. When you shift the car, the second incoming gear is already in place and ready so when shifted, it's precise. Then the gears shifts perfectly on and on and so forth. So this will decrease the shift time and increase speed and accuracy of the gears going into place. Hence why it is faster when you have a dual clutch transmission car versus a manual clutch transmission car because there will be no pause and shifts will be constant and smooth.

I just remembered all the basics based on what I remembered when I watched TV about the production of the new GTR. Correct me if I'm wrong.
That's pretty much correct. The only reason the transmission is slightly less efficient is because the clutches and gears are operated by hydraulic pressure, and this takes power, even though the amount is small. Plus there is slightly higher internal friction (slight as in very small, but it's there) due to increased components. Add it up and a dual clutch transmission will transmit less power than a purely manual transmission if both are fed the same input power.

Dual clutch trannies will still provide faster acceleration though, as the quick shifts more than make up for the slight loss in power transfer.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:07 PM   #40
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

If the dual clutch technically needs more power due to the transmission, will it use up more gas then? I assume it does since it requires hydraulics which is extra power to power the 2 clutches
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:22 PM   #41
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
I have fairly extensive race experience, own a racecar with a 4spd dog box (about as real MAN as you can get), and I would jump at the opportunity to get the 7-spd dual clutch transmission in my street car into my racecar. If the only thing you enjoy about your car is trying to get a perfect shift, then I guess it's not for you, but to say that you cant be a real man without driving a true manual is just idiotic. Some of us actually care about performance rather than just your retarded view of manliness.
Mark
I see where you're coming from. I do know that the paddle shiftmoreofanautomaticthananything transmissions are faster. Obviously this is just my opinion but I'm not after shaving off 1" from my laptime. I want to enjoy driving the car and to be a typical clutch and shift tranny is for me.
Quote:
so is that why McLaren F1, Lamborghini Aventador, Ferrari Enzo and everything else is NA?

for the cool factor?
It's because they can... And there's also no replacement for displacement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodmack View Post
True I havent driven a flappy panel gear box. and I myself own a 4 spd manual 69 camaro RS. I wasnt talking about racing I was talking about enjoying the drive. I could give a flying fuck about your racing experience FYI.
We'd get along.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:01 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaoTurbo View Post
If the dual clutch technically needs more power due to the transmission, will it use up more gas then? I assume it does since it requires hydraulics which is extra power to power the 2 clutches
It will use slightly more gas if you're cruising constantly (like highway driving). The amount is small, but is measurable. In city driving it can use less gas only because the computers can shift optimally to extract maximum mileage.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:12 PM   #43
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

maximum boner
supman7 is offline   Reply With Quote