REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-28-2011, 02:16 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

HKS closes all US business

Advertisement
Jackygor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-28-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
Does this mean an end to those stupid HKS super sequential BOV's?
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-28-2011, 02:41 PM   #3
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post
Does this mean an end to those stupid HKS super sequential BOV's?
Old 04-28-2011, 02:52 PM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
That sucks...

Thank god it wasn't VeilSide USA.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-28-2011, 02:55 PM   #5
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
anddddd hello, getting raped with even more shipping
also hello to even harder to find hks parts
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:00 PM   #6
RS Licensed Vendor

It's crazy how bad it is in the States. I was in Cali for a couple months not very long ago and wow are the malls dead.

Seems like every restaurant had a happy hour during normal dining hours.

Property was insanely cheap. Nice houses were like <$400K

Not looking so good for retail down there
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:51 PM   #7

My my, look at all the fails I got.

Now I know who on RS has absolutely no idea how turbocharged engines operate.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:01 PM   #8
うに

Thanked 1,008 Times in 402 Posts
Time to start using T1R parts!
PK-EK is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-28-2011, 04:03 PM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
Quote:
My my, look at all the fails I got.

Now I know who on RS has absolutely no idea how turbocharged engines operate.

it's not about how turbocharged engines operate more about how it's designed from the factory. most of today's turbocharged cars are designed with recirculated bypass valves, in which case if a BOV is used instead, causes a rich condition when the throttle is released. if a car is designed with having BOV in mind from the beginning, there is no problem with using a BOV. the ECU removes fuel when the throttle is released, and no rich condition occurs. so your fails are well deserved mr. dangonay

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-28-2011, 04:06 PM   #10
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,377 Times in 445 Posts
I don't think you really need to explain that to dangonay...lol.
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High
[19-10, 22:51] how many post do I need before I can fail TOS'D posts.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-28-2011, 04:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
it's not about how turbocharged engines operate more about how it's designed from the factory. most of today's turbocharged cars are designed with recirculated bypass valves, in which case if a BOV is used instead, causes a rich condition when the throttle is released. if a car is designed with having BOV in mind from the beginning, there is no problem with using a BOV. the ECU removes fuel when the throttle is released, and no rich condition occurs. so your fails are well deserved mr. dangonay
There's no such thing as an engine designed to use a BOV. The physics don't add up. The reason factory cars use bypass valves is because they are technically superior to a BOV.

Nice try, come back when you've learned a bit more about engineering.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 04-28-2011, 04:48 PM   #12
is best wrench

Thanked 1,208 Times in 272 Posts
Damnit, better get my exhaust from the US vendors before they sell out the stock
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:36 PM   #13
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cman333 View Post
It's crazy how bad it is in the States. I was in Cali for a couple months not very long ago and wow are the malls dead.

Most people are in denial in the states they think things aren't too bad or will soon start moving towards the better etc etc etc

but economists around the world have been saying Americas dead for quite sometime

and corporations have been getting out, shifting Headquarters, workforces, patents, managers are being sent to operate out of Tax Havens (Ireland, Canada to a lesser degree), etc

So the US doesn't make anything nor do they manage anything anymore and the dollar is going to shits because of it... so what's left? how can they support a consumption lifestyle?
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:59 PM   #14
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,904 Times in 751 Posts
What about recirculated bov's?
Posted via RS Mobile
jing is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-28-2011, 06:34 PM   #15

Now that I'm off mobile, I can post a more detailed response.

The problem with BOV's aren't due to certain engines running rich (MAF sensor based engines). Anyone can change the software of an ECU to reduce fuel when the BOV vents. It's a non-issue from the standpoint of the engineers who designed and built your engine. The problem with BOV's is one of waste.

When your engine is under boost and you close the throttle (say to shift) the pressure behind the throttle builds up rapidly and needs to be released. It can cause the compressor of the turbo to "stall" or in extreme cases can even cause turbo damage. To release this pressure you can use a BOV (vents this air to atmosphere) or a BPV (recirculates this air to the turbocharger inlet).

All that pressurized air in your intake represents energy. Energy that was recovered from the exhaust gases (dumped into the turbine side of your turbo) and used to develop boost (on the compressor side). When you use a BOV you are taking all that energy and venting it to atmosphere where it's lost forever. When you use a BPV to recirculate that compressed air back to the turbocharger inlet, you are recovering some of the energy used to compress this air in the first place. When you open the throttle back up, the turbo will have less work to do since all that previously compressed air wasn't vented to atmosphere.

In essence, a BOV trades energy for noise. Throwing away boost and reducing turbocharger response in exchange for a "cool sound".

Way back when I used to chip VW's and Audis I used data acquisition to monitor the pressure through the turbocharger system via multiple sensors (turbo inlet & outlet, intercooler inlet & outlet, before & after throttle body and intake manifold). I then did runs using BPV's and BOV's to compare. The result (which can be proven on paper, but is easier to see on a graph) is that the turbocharger could "recover" and be back developing maximum boost quicker with a BPV than a BOV. Simple physics - if you vent all your boost, the turbocharger is obviously going to have to do more work to get it back.

I used to argue with people all the time (online and with customers) trying to explain this. I've even shown my data to customers to prove why they should be using a BPV. In the end, many still picked a BOV because they wanted the sound more than performance. It was one of the many reasons I got out of tuning - having customers come to you to get their car worked on, and then not taking your advice. Why ask me in the first place if you're not going to listen anyway.
/rant

That said, there are specific circumstances where a BOV may be necessary. 99.9% of the population don't have engines that fit into this category, so if I make a blanket statement that BOV's are stupid than I'm basically right.
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-28-2011, 06:47 PM   #16
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

I'm sure most people who have a BOV already know about that and don't give a crap about it.. All they want is the sound... same reason I bought one a decade ago.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:14 PM   #17
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
When your engine is under boost and you close the throttle (say to shift) the pressure behind the throttle builds up rapidly and needs to be released. It can cause the compressor of the turbo to "stall" or in extreme cases can even cause turbo damage. To release this pressure you can use a BOV (vents this air to atmosphere) or a BPV (recirculates this air to the turbocharger inlet).
Modern cars with OEM turbocharged engines are all using BPVs? (135i,GTR,WRXSTI,EVO) I wana learn more
cococly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:31 PM   #18
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
I'm sure most people who have a BOV already know about that and don't give a crap about it.. All they want is the sound... same reason I bought one a decade ago.
I bought one for my accord ... didn't make a sound i think I was missing the turbo
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-28-2011, 07:53 PM   #19
10psi aint enough...

Definitely sad that HKS had to annouce that. With the economy so poorly in US and now with Japan's struggle, not many customers are buying or even spending money into carparts/ and into the carscene...

Thus, resulting in less interests, less tuners, struggling shops (product lines), and eventually carshows.

PPL are unaware that carscene is like a circle, once the chain breaks a little, it'll affect the rest.

Side note, think I'll keep my HKS fillter, and twin ignition box longer...
HondaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:56 PM   #20
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

I was actually in SoCal and NorCal last week and all the modified cars of yesteryear are gone. When I asked my cousin about it, he said they're long gone. Cops shut down pretty much all the shops that were doing engine mods. All you see now is the odd car with big wheels
Old 04-28-2011, 08:35 PM   #21
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
like this?

flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:55 PM   #22
Rs has made me the man i am today!

if you think Richmond is bad, in cali they issue tickets and vehicle inspection for an aftermarket exhaust! But yeah, the economies worldwide are doing poorly right now. I know of many friends and relatives who got laid off on a Monday with a one hour notice to pack up your office and leave. The car modding scene is pretty much gone as us kids of that generation have grown up and are currently not into modding or are struggling in the economy. Forget about the kids in school now, they're plenty happy riding public transit and going green. The extreme rich will mostly drive exotics or luxury branded cars. There's just not many people left out there who have enough interest in cars and allow their modding hobby to consume all their finances. I for one am still into modifying, but can't justify spending that extra bling for an expensive branded product where there are cheaper options available. Just wait till 2012, everything will change with the introduction of Electric Vehicles. Freeing ourselves from the oil industry and allowing hydro to takeover will shift the world economy once again perhaps for the better. I hate to say it, but even I'm dancing with the idea of trading in the EVO for an EV. Maybe HKS can modify EV's to simulate exhaust and BOV noises lol
Posted via RS Mobile
optiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:00 PM   #23
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,102 Times in 243 Posts
On top of the economy, it might have something to do with people these days building their cars from the ground up using nothing but ebay/china parts.

brb, buying replicas of everything from companies that do zero r&d and rip off designs because I dont understand the concept of saving

brb, genuine parts are for DICKHEADS
Datsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:11 PM   #24
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagella View Post

Gas guzzlers?
marksport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:18 PM   #25
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cman333 View Post

Its not bad, its pretty normal. Houses cost 300k-600k for a normal sized house around 1800 sq ft thats pretty normal. Whats bad is 1million dollars here in vancouver for a generic vancouver special.

Whats wrong with happy hour? People in the states like to eat.
lowda9 is offline   Reply With Quote