REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-28-2011, 09:22 PM   #26
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cococly View Post
Modern cars with OEM turbocharged engines are all using BPVs? (135i,GTR,WRXSTI,EVO) I wana learn more
pretty much

also, this thread is now the "explanation of how blow off valve's work" thread
Advertisement
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:31 PM   #27
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,527 Times in 834 Posts
EHHHHHTCH

KAAAAYYYY

ESSSSSS
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:51 AM   #28
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post
There's no such thing as an engine designed to use a BOV. The physics don't add up. The reason factory cars use bypass valves is because they are technically superior to a BOV.

Nice try, come back when you've learned a bit more about engineering.
Posted via RS Mobile
You're a moron. The HKS SSQV is a wicked BOV because it does not leak air at idle due to the design (no springs, and the more you boost, the tighter the seal gets). Any turbo car I've ever built runs on a MAP sensor so if you dump to atmosphere the car doesn't even notice because it measures pressure at the manifold.

You can buy re-circ kits for the HKS SSQV if you run a MAF or want to be even more stealth.

That being said, I absolutely HATE the noise and my SSQV has the chrome thing pulled out and it's now almost invisible for sound. I am also running it on a Rotrex supercharger and re-circ or VTA does not matter because it's belt driven.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-29-2011, 11:22 AM   #29
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,046 Times in 1,176 Posts
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:06 PM   #30
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGuy View Post
Definitely sad that HKS had to annouce that. With the economy so poorly in US and now with Japan's struggle, not many customers are buying or even spending money into carparts/ and into the carscene...

Thus, resulting in less interests, less tuners, struggling shops (product lines), and eventually carshows.

PPL are unaware that carscene is like a circle, once the chain breaks a little, it'll affect the rest.

Side note, think I'll keep my HKS fillter, and twin ignition box longer...
It is getting alot harder for japanese companies to stay profitable in markets like the US considering the very weak US dollar. Even with stable demand for their products, the USD has steadily dropped over 20% for the last 2 years with no sign of recovery anytime in the near future.
iamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:21 PM   #31
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

No its not Americans like to eat. It's the market. If you look at the bigger picture, food is the most dominant market where everyone needs to spend money on. If you look at it locally, there are so many shops opening in Vancouver just to cater to Food. Whether its Coffee Shops, Bubble tea shops, Cafes, or even restaurants.

As I was growing up, now well through my teen, I can see the biggest jump in the Coffee market and the Bubble market, as well as the Cafe market. Nice cafe's charge quite a lot, when you can get the same food at a different place, like maybe a food court for cheaper. Quality could be a factor, also personal experience could be another, but material is the same and the type of food. Also bubble tea is another booming market as I can see. Before there weren't a lot of places serving bubble tea, but now it seems that everyone has jumped the the bubble tea wagon and started serving it anywhere in a variety of restaurants. Even when it doesn't really correlate like japanese ramen and bubble tea. I guess someone can say the target market has shifted to a new generation and to a more specific target which is the X generation, the generation after the Baby Boomers. That's just the simplistic view I have on the market nowadays but certainly it goes beyond my own understanding and anyone could enlighten us further
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:21 PM   #32
Banned By Establishment

Well I guess it's time to be like Hector and overnight parts in from Japan.
Onassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:23 PM   #33
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

How exactly is canada ANY kind of tax haven? Short of AB being a slight 10% or so better than here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Most people are in denial in the states they think things aren't too bad or will soon start moving towards the better etc etc etc

but economists around the world have been saying Americas dead for quite sometime

and corporations have been getting out, shifting Headquarters, workforces, patents, managers are being sent to operate out of Tax Havens (Ireland, Canada to a lesser degree), etc

So the US doesn't make anything nor do they manage anything anymore and the dollar is going to shits because of it... so what's left? how can they support a consumption lifestyle?
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:23 PM   #34
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Everyone's raking it in at Cafe Lu

http://facebook.com/CafeLu

http://cafelugirls.com
KoreanHistoryCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:27 AM   #35
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
You're a moron. The HKS SSQV is a wicked BOV because it does not leak air at idle due to the design (no springs, and the more you boost, the tighter the seal gets). Any turbo car I've ever built runs on a MAP sensor so if you dump to atmosphere the car doesn't even notice because it measures pressure at the manifold.

You can buy re-circ kits for the HKS SSQV if you run a MAF or want to be even more stealth.

That being said, I absolutely HATE the noise and my SSQV has the chrome thing pulled out and it's now almost invisible for sound. I am also running it on a Rotrex supercharger and re-circ or VTA does not matter because it's belt driven.
Mentioning MAF/MAP when talking about BOV's vs BPV's means you don't have a clue what you're talking about. It's not about running rich - it's about wasting energy dumping boosted air. Don't understand why this is such a hard concept for people to get.
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2011, 09:34 AM   #36
Bieksa eats bears for breakfast...

Because a lot of people only look at one side of things. If people who modded their cars were modding the engines to be run more efficiently and produce more power, it would be a different story. How many times do you hear stories about cars being boosted, only to find out that the lag is extremely large.

Your balls are sensitive things!! They shouldn't be played around with, at least not like that, and you should NOT BE DIPPING THEM IN AFTERSHAVE! Oh my god, I feel sorry for your balls!"

ODC: "Wrong, a roots type blower will produce max boost from 0rpm to redline."

Iceman_19: "A roots makes zero boost at zero rpm, lol"

Ulic Qel-Droma: "haha go google image big black dick. or black cock. i forgot which term i used. it's one of the many."
Iceman_2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:08 PM   #37
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death2Theft View Post
How exactly is canada ANY kind of tax haven? Short of AB being a slight 10% or so better than here?
It's not a Corporate tax haven in comparison to Ireland etc ("lesser degree") but its better than the USA according to 60Minutes and if Harper has his way its going to be heading in an even better direction for corporations

its was a story on how all managerial positions, IP, etc have been flocking to Ireland, etc and Canada was included as a place of growing interest/movement for US corporations but Ireland et. al still being the havens
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:26 PM   #38
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post
Now that I'm off mobile, I can post a more detailed response.

The problem with BOV's aren't due to certain engines running rich (MAF sensor based engines). Anyone can change the software of an ECU to reduce fuel when the BOV vents. It's a non-issue from the standpoint of the engineers who designed and built your engine. The problem with BOV's is one of waste.

When your engine is under boost and you close the throttle (say to shift) the pressure behind the throttle builds up rapidly and needs to be released. It can cause the compressor of the turbo to "stall" or in extreme cases can even cause turbo damage. To release this pressure you can use a BOV (vents this air to atmosphere) or a BPV (recirculates this air to the turbocharger inlet).

All that pressurized air in your intake represents energy. Energy that was recovered from the exhaust gases (dumped into the turbine side of your turbo) and used to develop boost (on the compressor side). When you use a BOV you are taking all that energy and venting it to atmosphere where it's lost forever. When you use a BPV to recirculate that compressed air back to the turbocharger inlet, you are recovering some of the energy used to compress this air in the first place. When you open the throttle back up, the turbo will have less work to do since all that previously compressed air wasn't vented to atmosphere.

In essence, a BOV trades energy for noise. Throwing away boost and reducing turbocharger response in exchange for a "cool sound".

Way back when I used to chip VW's and Audis I used data acquisition to monitor the pressure through the turbocharger system via multiple sensors (turbo inlet & outlet, intercooler inlet & outlet, before & after throttle body and intake manifold). I then did runs using BPV's and BOV's to compare. The result (which can be proven on paper, but is easier to see on a graph) is that the turbocharger could "recover" and be back developing maximum boost quicker with a BPV than a BOV. Simple physics - if you vent all your boost, the turbocharger is obviously going to have to do more work to get it back.

I used to argue with people all the time (online and with customers) trying to explain this. I've even shown my data to customers to prove why they should be using a BPV. In the end, many still picked a BOV because they wanted the sound more than performance. It was one of the many reasons I got out of tuning - having customers come to you to get their car worked on, and then not taking your advice. Why ask me in the first place if you're not going to listen anyway.
/rant

That said, there are specific circumstances where a BOV may be necessary. 99.9% of the population don't have engines that fit into this category, so if I make a blanket statement that BOV's are stupid than I'm basically right.
u mean TOO BAD RICERS! n SO SAD for ppl that appreciate HKS Performance....

Midnitez is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-05-2011, 10:40 PM   #39
【=◈︿◈=】

^ uhhh so only ricers use hks products?

@dangonay: that would make sense, if not for these little buggers:

(it's a recirculation kit)
Old 05-06-2011, 06:38 AM   #40
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
^ I'm fully aware there's a recirc kit for their BOV which turns it into ....wait for it..... a BPV. It would no longer be a BOV, now, would it?

Still doesn't change the fact that a BOV is stupid. HKS BOV is even worse since they actually designed it to be as loud as possible (they literally spent money and engineereing resources tuning it to make the sound it does, which is why most people buy them).
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:28 AM   #41
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by - kT View Post
^ uhhh so only ricers use hks products?

@dangonay: that would make sense, if not for these little buggers:

http://www.hksusa.com/images_products/L_1275.jpg

(it's a recirculation kit)
If you are buying the SSQ, why recirculate it? You might as well kept the stock piece, otherwise you spent $200+ on engine dress up.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:28 AM   #42
【=◈︿◈=】

because you still get some of the noise, just not as loud

so in saying that you either get the sound OR the function is incorrect. in the ssqv's case, you can get both
Old 05-06-2011, 10:53 AM   #43
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,440 Times in 4,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiSix View Post
If you are buying the SSQ, why recirculate it? You might as well kept the stock piece, otherwise you spent $200+ on engine dress up.
Remember how many times I failed AirCare because of my Blitz DD BOV?

My stock BPV was its saving grace.

Quote:

so in saying that you either get the sound OR the function is incorrect. in the ssqv's case, you can get both
In other words, expensive ricer engine bay dress up. Studies have shown that factory BPVs are proven to have the quickest reaction times.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:43 AM   #44
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:

Do you run yours recirculated? Cause I have and it sounds pretty much like stock, but could be just my car and add on top its just a stock turbo. I still think there really is no point in buying it if you are going to recirculate it.

Not hating on you or anything, I still have my ARC BOV still sitting around lol.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:05 PM   #45
【=◈︿◈=】

Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiSix View Post
Do you run yours recirculated? Cause I have and it sounds pretty much like stock, but could be just my car and add on top its just a stock turbo. I still think there really is no point in buying it if you are going to recirculate it.

Not hating on you or anything, I still have my ARC BOV still sitting around lol.
nope, i don't. i'll admit i'm a bit of a ricer so i bought mine, blocked off the stock diverter valve and ran the ssqv

however my friend, who has the same car as me, has his running recirculated on a stock turbo. it sounds like an ssqv, without the squeak to it (imagine purple fin + a bit more of a woosh sound)
Old 05-06-2011, 03:42 PM   #46
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
Quote:
nope, i don't. i'll admit i'm a bit of a ricer so i bought mine, blocked off the stock diverter valve and ran the ssqv

however my friend, who has the same car as me, has his running recirculated on a stock turbo. it sounds like an ssqv, without the squeak to it (imagine purple fin + a bit more of a woosh sound)
So... basically you came into this thread to tell people that you have an SSQV.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote