REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech

Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Discussion on how to keep your car shining bright and make them heads turn..

Old 04-28-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
Editor

Thanked 3,179 Times in 874 Posts
What colour pad to use?

So I got my cf hood recleared. Now I'm going to wetsand 2000, polish, and seal. Question is, which colour pad woud be best to use for gloss polishing+seal. Bare with me please if this seems vague, detailing isn't my field of expertese. Thanks in advance!
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
!e.lo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

which brand pad are you using?
and you probably should give your clear some time to cure first.
kyoshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:57 PM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
I'm about to do the same thing on my CF rear lip. Different brands pads come in different colors, but
I think you would need to start with a compound and a yellow heavy cutting pad or orange light cut pad to remove the sanding scratches. Then go with a polish and a white polishing pad. Then apply sealant/wax with the regular finishing pads.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:31 PM   #4

also do see if it really needs wet sanding, i personally would not wet sand unless you had a paint thickness gauge (of which I dont have either thus I stick to a DA and start from least cut)
Old 04-29-2011, 10:24 AM   #5
Editor

Thanked 3,179 Times in 874 Posts
Don't have any pad atm, will be going out to get them later. Using porter cable poisher if that matters
The hoods be cured for a week, should be sufficent time, no?
Posted via RS Mobile
!e.lo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:31 AM   #6

you should ask the guys who cleared your hood and ask when its good to be worked on.
And again dont wet sand unless theres any real deep scratches or you want to rid of orange peel as theres no need to do unless you're trying to achieve those. and paint thickness gauge is a must when wet sanding in all seriousness as you may sand too deep. You will get majority if not all of the defects out with just polishing pads + polish.
Where are you getting your pads?
Old 04-30-2011, 12:28 AM   #7

Pleaseee for your own sake, do not wet sand first

Polish first and see if it get's the results you want, then go from there. Wet sanding is for major surface defects and paint levelling.

The orange light cutting pads being referred to are Lake Country mild cutting pads (different brands have different colour coding) and probably is the best to go with. You can use a 'hot' pad with a 'hot' polish to get very agressive correction, or use a 'warm' pad with a 'hot' polish to tone it down a bit - see the pads have their own abrasive properties, so you can get different results using the same polish, by just changing the pad.

I would use an Orange mild cut pad on your Porter Cable, with something like Poorboys SSR2.5, then finish up with SSR1 and white polishing pad to remove any hazing. If for whatever reason that didn't work, you can either make a second pass with the 2.5, or step up to something more aggressive, in the class of SSR3, but still use the orange pad - the yellow heavy cutting pad will be way too agressive imo

To seal, if using your Porter Cable to apply, you'll need a very gentle pad like lake country white pads, or black - nothing abrasive.

Time to get your shine on

*edit* Read this article: http://www.eshine.ca/MyNewPolisher.htm

REVscene.net - Vancouver's #1 Automotive Forum and Classified's Site!

Interested in advertising with REVSCENE? Join our roster of Brian Jessel BMW, EBISU Robson, Blitz Gear, Soundworks, and dozens of the Lower Mainlands BUSIEST and most SUCCESSFUL small and medium businesses! Let us take you to the next level with our Incredibly affordable and effective packages Advertisement@revscene.net

Last edited by CanadaGoose; 04-30-2011 at 01:00 AM.
CanadaGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:32 PM   #8

I cleared my CF lip using just a spray can. I used the whole can, let it cure for 1.5 weeks and wet sanded it with 1000 grit to get rid of the orange peel and small hairs that got stuck. I plan on using another can to clear it again.

Should I wet sand again after the last clear with 1000 and then 2000? Or just go straight to 2000 or just compound? I figure I'll have some orange peel and small dust again as I'm just spraying it in my garage.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:19 PM   #9

^ I would go 2000 grit, and then work your way down to compounds and polishes. 2000 will do a good job levelling out the orange peel

Try and be very surgical about it in your garage, you shouldn't have to deal with hairs stuck in your clearcoat lol

Reminds me of when one of my friends had 3M installed on his hood by a cheapo place....there was a monster pube stuck under it, right in the middle, and it stayed there till the day he sold the car lol

REVscene.net - Vancouver's #1 Automotive Forum and Classified's Site!

Interested in advertising with REVSCENE? Join our roster of Brian Jessel BMW, EBISU Robson, Blitz Gear, Soundworks, and dozens of the Lower Mainlands BUSIEST and most SUCCESSFUL small and medium businesses! Let us take you to the next level with our Incredibly affordable and effective packages Advertisement@revscene.net

Last edited by CanadaGoose; 04-30-2011 at 04:26 PM.
CanadaGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:02 PM   #10
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Try yellow first with megs 105, should remove the sanding marks no problem. OR something a little less aggressive, try a green pad with megs 205
Way2ricey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:17 PM   #11
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

these are my favorite
Compounding pad http://www.farecla.com/?screenID=133#/133
Finishing/Glazing pads, http://www.farecla.com/?screenID=137#/137

You can find these at white & peters and get the the farecla backing plate to rock these killer pads. if orange peel is a problem, wetsand with 2000 then compound, I prefer 3M polishes but If the clear is less than 3 months old do not use anything that will seal the finish, sealing it will cause blisters polishing wont get out, you'll most likely have to re-clear the hood!

Last edited by Jethro; 05-06-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:36 PM   #12
My homepage has been set to RS

A PTG isn't going to help in this case, your hood is carbon fiber. PTGs only measure on aluminum and metal.

Since you got it recleared, you should be safe wet sanding the hood. Most paint jobs require a wet sand regardless.

Get a yellow pad and a green pad. Use an abrasive such as Meguiars M105 on the yellow pad and if you achieve the result you want, finish it with M205 on a green pad. You could use the Menzerna line too, Power Gloss first and Power Finish second.

Buy 2 of each pad and polish your car while you're at it!

feedback
http://www.revscene.net/forums/showt...ighlight=noizz
Noizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #13
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

I believe you would require to start with a aggregate and a yellow hefty chopping pad or orange lightweight slash pad to eliminate the sanding scratches. Then proceed with a polish and a white shining pad. Then request sealant/wax with the normal completing pads
markrusell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #14
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

IMASA which clear did you use?
Nvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:24 PM   #15
Need to Seek Professional Help

Planning on using the 7424? Going to take forever with that polisher. A rotary would make things much easier.
Suprarz666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprarz666 View Post
Planning on using the 7424? Going to take forever with that polisher. A rotary would make things much easier.
yea rotary is always faster and easier but its also easier to burn paint and I wouldnt recommend it at the hands of novice. I also cant imagine how spraycan clear would hold up to the heat generated, it will possibly get sticky real quick.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:03 PM   #17

its for 2 part clear, since he just got it re-done by a shop.

Although rotary is easier to burn, it isn't THAT easy. Just don't stay in the same spot too long. I only suggest it because i have the PC myself, its great overall, but takes forever if it is used for wetsanding+polishing.

Getting some 3000grit paper also makes the job much easier.
Suprarz666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:29 PM   #18

try using suburf pads as they're suppose to cut more beyond the compound pads
otherwise meguiars microfiber system is suppose to cut quite a bit
Old 05-14-2011, 12:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvasion View Post
IMASA which clear did you use?
Just Plastikote clear @ Lordco. I was going to pony up the $$$ for SES, but @ $30 a can, and I wanted to use 2 cans, cheaped out.

My clear job turned out pretty good considering it was my first attempt. And yes I used a 7424 so it did take forever to compound and polish it. I did it when the lip not attached to the car so it was tough holding the lip and using the 7424. Would not even consider doing that with a rotary.

Last edited by IMASA; 05-14-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noizz View Post
A PTG isn't going to help in this case, your hood is carbon fiber. PTGs only measure on aluminum and metal.
Actually, The Defelsko DFT measures on metal and metal substrates and its either the 200 or 6000 that measures on plastic, carbon fibre, kevlar etc.
911fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:17 AM   #21
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

think plastik coat will work for carbon fiber hood?
Nvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:20 AM   #22
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911fanatic View Post
Actually, The Defelsko DFT measures on metal and metal substrates and its either the 200 or 6000 that measures on plastic, carbon fibre, kevlar etc.
+$600!!!

feedback
http://www.revscene.net/forums/showt...ighlight=noizz
Noizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvasion View Post
think plastik coat will work for carbon fiber hood?
It should be ok, it's still an automotive clear. I see it being no worse than duplicolor. I hear SES is better, but it's double the price. You'll need several cans for your hood so you do the math to see if it's worth DIY vs taking it to a shop.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:52 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noizz View Post
+$600!!!
Thats for the DFT combo. The 200 measures on CF, Kevlar etc and its $2600. Want one?
911fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:08 AM   #25
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

I always start with 1500 grit whenever i wet sand. I switch to 2000 grit once the job is completely sanded, and that's really just to prep the surface for polishing.

2000 grit CAN definately get the orange peel out, but it takes longer and you'd have to constantly use a "fresh" sheet most of the time.

For corners and edges, I use the 1500 just as an initial "cut".

if it's silver, grey, white I'll even start with 1200, just for a first swipe, and then go to the 1500 and 2000.

If in doubt, then maybe just stick with the 2000 grit all the way. But if you ask me, 1500grit to start and 2000 to finish is the way to go.

Just take your time and go slow.
zephyrantes is offline   Reply With Quote