REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 04-28-2011, 06:24 PM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

How to buy Travel Insurance

Does anyone have any experience with purchasing travel insurance for a 1 year working visa? The person will be working here in BC from another country.

I did some quick googling and found TravelInsuranceQuotes.ca which shows me quotes from Manulife, TIC, Pacific Blue cross etc, however my question is do I pick 15k coverage or 150k? The difference is like $600 vs $1200.

Does it mean if they get hospitalized the insurance company will pay the bill up to $150k if you get that option and only $15k for the other? Which is too little and which is too much?

What do you suggest and what are the pros and cons. Also are there any other sites or recommendations for different travel insurance companies. It seems like there are quite a few.
Advertisement
shollos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:06 PM   #2

I think the scenario will be 1 trip, for duration of 1 year from another country to canada. Now I'm wondering if it's better to buy from a BC Company or from the originating country
Old 04-28-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

are you hiring the person from abroad to work for you?
Old 04-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #4

nah, just trying to help give some advice~
Old 04-28-2011, 07:47 PM   #5
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

i believe he/she can buy something call the "Visitor Medical Insurance" if he/she decides to buy it from a Canada Company.
But imo I think it's better for them to buy insurance from their home country.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:48 PM   #6

thanks for the advice, i'll get the friend to look at the insurance offered from their home country and compare with the visitor med insurance here

cheers
Old 04-30-2011, 06:27 PM   #7
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
If he/she is coming on a working permit, he's consider as a BC resident and he should be able to get on healthcare. Probably easier and cheaper.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #8
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,343 Times in 971 Posts
BMO
travel insurance, i'm getting ti for hawaii and Costa RIca.
2 dollars a day (for just medical)
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:39 AM   #9
wants to know why blow-up dolls always look so surprised

the value ranges. 15k most likely refers to hospitalization/medical bills OR death & dismemberment. you can push it up to 150k or above on most travel insurance policies. so that would mean the policy covers any medical related bills up to 150k. (or 15k if thats what your friend chooses)

i did a quick quote on TIC for you. presuming your friend is 25 y/o (random guess)

Visitors to Canada $10,000 Hospital/Medical
$576.70

Visitors to Canada $25,000 Hospital/Medical
$748.25

Visitors to Canada $50,000 Hospital/Medical
$861.40

Visitors to Canada $100,000 Hospital/Medical
$1,131.50

Visitors to Canada $150,000 Hospital/Medical
$1,361.45

these are all 365 day coverages. accidental death & dismemberment on all coverages is 15k.

i recommend your friend to buy 183 day coverages instead. it gives him more flexibility.. and the coverages are still the same. you save only like 5-10 dollars compared to buying 365 day plan
iam_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:46 AM   #10

That makes sense to go with half the year, thanks!

Do you know if you buy a full year if there is big penalties for canceling half way?

Also I guess 15k should be sufficient coverage right? If there is anything major they could always fly back to their home country, unless obviously in an unlikely situation where they are in the ER?
Old 05-02-2011, 09:47 AM   #11

I don't know if this is possible, she is on a working holiday visa which requires you get the health insurance before you enter the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
If he/she is coming on a working permit, he's consider as a BC resident and he should be able to get on healthcare. Probably easier and cheaper.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #12
wants to know why blow-up dolls always look so surprised

personally, id recommend the 25,000-50,000 coverages, just incase. if any emergencies arise, 10,000 is likely insufficient

yes, for non emergency medical bills you can cover by yourself if you fly back to your own country.

travel insurance will cover you only while you are in the designated country. if you leave that country, and return, expecting continual coverage, you'll need a 'multi-trip' coverage plan. thats one other reason why i recommended not insuring for the entire year. if you have a regular single entry plan, the coverage stops once your friend leaves BC (incase she wants to make a trip down to Seattle or a quick visit home)

id say your friend should choose the coverages depending on what she plans on doing while she is here. is she going to do any strenuous activities, sports, outings or anything of the sort?

as for refunding, you have to cancel it 15 days prior, and you will be returned your premiums subtracted by roughly $25

she can acquire travel insurance without entering the country. coverage starts after midnight, though. so its best to have the coverage start on the day of the flight.

all this, is speaking for TIC though. im not familiar with other travel insurance providers.

Last edited by iam_dan; 05-02-2011 at 12:28 PM.
iam_dan is offline   Reply With Quote