REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Entertainment Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/entertainment-forum_27/)
-   -   Cineplex - UltraAVX (https://www.revscene.net/forums/644196-cineplex-ultraavx.html)

Culverin 04-30-2011 01:10 AM

Cineplex - UltraAVX

Quote:

A NEW GENERATION OF THEATRE HAS ARRIVED.
Introducint the incredible UltraAVX theatre from Cineplex. Featuring:
  • Giant Wall-To-Wall Screen - The biggest we could fit!
  • Crystal Clear Digital Projection
  • Immersive Sound System - Hear every detail
  • Large Rocker Seats - The ultimate in comfort
  • Reserved Seating

http://www.cineplex.com/Theatres/Ult...ene_UltraAVXBC

Has anybody gone to one yet? I'm rather curious whether it's worth it or not. Especially how it stacks up to IMAX. If it's getting close to IMAX, I might just skip the trek out to richmond for movie nights.

Also, the reserved seat idea intrigues me. How does that work?

124Y 04-30-2011 01:39 AM

I watched Fast5 at the Metropolis Silvercity in their new UltraAVX theater today. You basically buy the ticket with assigned seats. The screen was noticeably bigger and with sharper images, but I didn't notice that much difference in the sound though. The seats are "rocker" seats, but if you have short legs, you wont be able to hold your seat back comfortably without tippy-toeing.

twitchyzero 04-30-2011 10:28 AM

anyone know what the resolution of a typical famous player projection is compared to imax?
for some movies that i know will look amazing in HD i skip it until it comes out on BD

winson604 04-30-2011 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 124Y (Post 7414666)
I watched Fast5 at the Metropolis Silvercity in their new UltraAVX theater today. You basically buy the ticket with assigned seats. The screen was noticeably bigger and with sharper images, but I didn't notice that much difference in the sound though. The seats are "rocker" seats, but if you have short legs, you wont be able to hold your seat back comfortably without tippy-toeing.

Is it reserved seating like a Chinese theater where you actually get to pick what seats you want or are the seats auto generated like say buying a ticket on Ticketmaster?

dlo 04-30-2011 11:31 AM

you pick your seats when you buy your ticket whether online or in person

StylinRed 04-30-2011 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 7414834)
anyone know what the resolution of a typical famous player projection is compared to imax?
for some movies that i know will look amazing in HD i skip it until it comes out on BD

Digital screens are 2k (2000p, 2048x1556 depending on movie but max is that) technically there is 4k as well but i havent heard of any theatres using digital 4k projectors except in IMAX (edit: Waterloo Galaxy theatre debuted the 1st 4k Digital Screen this year on the week of March 11th)

IMAX Digital cinema is supposed to be 4k (4096x3112 but note that films etc use a lower resolution to maintain the aspect ratio like 4096x1714 etc) but it may not be. some imax cinemas only use 2 2k cameras, but the image is brighter than a digital screen

But it really depends on if the movie was shot using Imax cameras (very expensive) then you'll get an awesome picture (TDK was the 1st feature film to be shot with IMAX and it only had like 30mins of IMAX footage; Transformers 2 with 9mins etc)

it gets a little complicated when you get down to discernible pixels etc etc but that's the gist of it
(i should add technically IMAX is Film 65mm to be exact, but many theatres have been using digital projectors and an Imax equivalent resolution)

ULTRA AVX is just a gimmick it uses Christie CP2230 2k Projectors which = 2048 x 1080 but this doesn't include the 7.1 Dolby Digital (what no TrueHD or DTS-HDMA audio???) or the "rocker" seats (shame tinsletown is gone)

so even if the screens are gigantic IMAX> (better resolution if it was even shot in it)

makes me wonder what cameras they use in their "normal" digital rooms

edit2 Looks like ABBY is going to get an awesome theatre (which doesn't make sense since its abby

Quote:

Cineplex Odeon Abbotsford and VIP Cinemas
Approximately 43,000 square feet, Cineplex Odeon Abbotsford and VIP Cinemas will feature 11 screens and 1,950 seats. The theatre will include digital projection, RealD 3D technology, three VIP Cinemas and one UltraAVX auditorium. Cineplex Odeon Abbotsford and VIP Cinemas will be the first newly built theatre in British Columbia to offer VIP Cinemas. It is scheduled to begin construction in the fall of 2011 with an opening in spring 2012.

Guests attending a movie at a VIP Cinema will enjoy a first class entertainment experience that offers an exclusive box office and concession stand, private licensed lounge and in-theatre reserved seating featuring premium oversized seats. In-seat service for concession items is also available as food and beverages are delivered right to your seat by one of our cast members.

Cineplex Odeon Abbotsford and VIP Cinemas is being developed by Cineplex Entertainment and SHAPE Properties Corp. The theatre is being built as part of the new Highstreet lifestyle centre, an innovative retail development featuring several top tier retailers. “Cineplex is a tremendous addition to our new retail entertainment complex,” said Graeme Johnson, Executive Vice President, Leasing, SHAPE Properties. “The theatre is sure to attract local residents and visitors from nearby communities to enjoy Hollywood movies and the latest entertainment offered by Cineplex.”
http://www.amblesidewindermere.ca/do...el%20FINAL.pdf

The_Situation 04-30-2011 12:19 PM

Are all the seats the same price?

StylinRed 04-30-2011 12:22 PM

^ Im more interested in the "VIP cinemas" that Abby is going to get, i enjoyed sitting in a lay-z-boy being served a gourmet meal while watching a movie

but i dont think they'll be offering Gourmet @ abby (cant believe its in abby)

dlo 04-30-2011 01:06 PM

avx cost an additional 3$, so general admission is 12.50, its 15.50

rb 04-30-2011 01:21 PM

Watched Fast Five in AVX at Coquitlam. Had a free movie ticket and paid $3 extra to watch it in AVX. Other than slightly better seats, didn't notice a difference.

skyxx 04-30-2011 04:04 PM

Better seats, screen resolution DPI is better and sound is definitely noticeably better. I would pay the extra 3 bucks just for assigned seating and more comfortable seats. After sitting in the AVX seats i can't seem to like the old seats. They suck.

bLUEsTEEL 04-30-2011 10:07 PM

Great info. Wanted to know if there was much of a difference before I forked out the extra cash.

Manic! 04-30-2011 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 7414908)
Digital screens are 2k (2000p, 2048x1556 depending on movie but max is that) technically there is 4k as well but i havent heard of any theatres using digital 4k projectors except in IMAX (edit: Waterloo Galaxy theatre debuted the 1st 4k Digital Screen this year on the week of March 11th)

IMAX Digital cinema is supposed to be 4k (4096x3112 but note that films etc use a lower resolution to maintain the aspect ratio like 4096x1714 etc) but it may not be. some imax cinemas only use 2 2k cameras, but the image is brighter than a digital screen

But it really depends on if the movie was shot using Imax cameras (very expensive) then you'll get an awesome picture (TDK was the 1st feature film to be shot with IMAX and it only had like 30mins of IMAX footage; Transformers 2 with 9mins etc)

it gets a little complicated when you get down to discernible pixels etc etc but that's the gist of it
(i should add technically IMAX is Film 65mm to be exact, but many theatres have been using digital projectors and an Imax equivalent resolution)

ULTRA AVX is just a gimmick it uses Christie CP2230 2k Projectors which = 2048 x 1080 but this doesn't include the 7.1 Dolby Digital (what no TrueHD or DTS-HDMA audio???) or the "rocker" seats (shame tinsletown is gone)

so even if the screens are gigantic IMAX> (better resolution if it was even shot in it)

makes me wonder what cameras they use in their "normal" digital rooms

edit2 Looks like ABBY is going to get an awesome theatre (which doesn't make sense since its abby

http://www.amblesidewindermere.ca/do...el%20FINAL.pdf

Camera's? I think you mean projectors and I think TrueHD or DTS-HDMA audio are only for home use.

StylinRed 05-01-2011 02:06 AM

yes im sorry by cameras i mean projectors ;)

as for truehd and dts-hdma yes they're for home use but so was Dolby Digital 7.1

Theatres should easily be able to receive Lossless tracks but the problem is it isn't implemented just like 7.1 wasn't until recently

twitchyzero 05-01-2011 09:32 AM

sorry for the noobness but what explains the grainy PQ if it has high resolution? The seating is too close? Screen is too big so the artifacts are more obvious?

unit 05-01-2011 10:35 AM

reserved seating is nice... you dont have to line up an hour before a show. just show up on time and your seat is right there

StylinRed 05-01-2011 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 7415953)
sorry for the noobness but what explains the grainy PQ if it has high resolution? The seating is too close? Screen is too big so the artifacts are more obvious?

"Grain" is actually a term used in film for something else.. its like a textured effect and some film actually produces more grain than others

what you're thinking of is the issues of pixels

for example your 16" laptop monitor has a 1920x1080p capable screen but you have the resolution set up as 800x600 well those 800x600 pixels are going to be stretched out across that 16" screen so instead of 1 pixel taking up 1 dot its stretched out to fit the size of the screen so it takes up 5 dots etc

when theres a low resolution the further back you sit from it the less noticeable the stretching is

Quote:

Originally Posted by unit (Post 7416000)
reserved seating is nice... you dont have to line up an hour before a show. just show up on time and your seat is right there

yeah I really liked having that in HK etc and wished we had it here; glad to see we're finally getting it

I just hope they don't get the bright idea of charging a premium for "ideal" spots

iambuRnz 05-01-2011 02:59 PM

if short people complain about tip toe-ing, well, if youre tall your knee would be on the way of the seat in front of you.

id say its worth the extra $3 just because the seats are bigger and the reserved seating option.

Fuhrėr-Z 06-14-2011 01:09 PM

Gonna be watching Super 8 AVX at metro, we'll see how this turns out. The last 2 movies I saw in theatres were both low in bass and out of focus. My $3 better be going towards actually having the right settings for the film.

maxxxboost 06-18-2011 12:16 PM

I'd just use the UltraAVX for the reserve seating. The last time i went to watch Fast5, my gf and i had 2 kids take our seats 5 minutes before the movie. Needless to say, the moved.

ImportPsycho 07-03-2011 06:18 PM

I can't buy tickets online with seats reserved? i still have to show up hours ahead to get good seats? FAIL!

Simulated 07-03-2011 06:41 PM

i just watched transformers and i was able to pick my seats on cineplex website. arrived 10 min before movie started.
Posted via RS Mobile

Ch28 07-03-2011 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImportPsycho (Post 7499352)
I can't buy tickets online with seats reserved? i still have to show up hours ahead to get good seats? FAIL!

I used it for Transformers and had no issues whatsoever. You pick your seats 1 or 2 steps before paying.

It's nice not having to line up 30-60 mins before a show for a new movie

SkinnyPupp 07-03-2011 09:57 PM

Finally, Canada gets reserved seating! It is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better

mercyboy 07-03-2011 10:30 PM

just hate reserve seating sometimes...sitting next to people that are too loud just pisses me offf.......ya so far all i like about the new theaters is the seating!!!

Now all they need is message seatings, lighted drink trays and wifi