REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:21 PM   #1
I subscribe to Revscene

RV towing over 4,600kg

I know that a class 5 driver needs an endorsement on his/her licence if the RV they are towing is 4,600kg or greater.

How often is this endorsement actually checked for? There's a lot of large 5th wheel RVs on the road and I wonder how many people are aware of this requirement.

Do the police/CVSE ever pull them over into weigh stations and check for the required endorsement?

I know someone with a trailer in excess of this weight and I mentioned this to them. When they insured the trailer they asked about this requirement and they were told it was not required. I worry that if people are relying on their insurance company to tell them there could be a lot of stranded travellers should they encounter an enforcement blitz.
Advertisement

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

the CVSE does it alot out in Hope and Kent, friend was just caught doing that thing exactly. 300$ in fines and he had to buy and overweight permit

http://www.eaglemotorplex.com/forum/read.php?2,11431
Street Car --> 15.45 | Vega --> 11.65
seekerbeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:14 PM   #3
I'm invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerbeta View Post
the CVSE does it alot out in Hope and Kent, friend was just caught doing that thing exactly. 300$ in fines and he had to buy and overweight permit

http://www.eaglemotorplex.com/forum/read.php?2,11431
There is some good information in that forum re: vehicle weights and requirements/plates and etc.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:15 PM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
^Edison's avatar is so cute it makes my brain explode into candy.

Edit: oh yeah, and the OP in that thread sounds like a RSer - "what a crock of s#@t". Really? What is? That you didn't know the rules and got busted? The CVSE officer even told him, it's the same rules that have been in place for years... as with so many questions (and "what a crock of s#@t" complaints) we see in this forum, the real fault lies with the poster not familiarizing himself with the rules of the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:44 PM   #5
Retired Traffic Cop

I used to do it whenever I found one that looked interesting.

I also know it is easy to get in trouble with the GVW as unless you ask, an Autoplan Agent will sell you 1.5 x the curb weight of your vehicle as the licenced GVW.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #6
I subscribe to Revscene

I checked with the owner of the trailer (that was in my first post) tonight. He said after checking with the insurer AND the Ministry of Transport, they were told twice that there were no requirements for licence endorsements.

Now, I know what you're thinking.. "why didn't he call ICBC". Fine. Why did the MoT and the insurer explicitly say there was no such requirement? Why didn't they recommend that they call ICBC?

Interesting that when they fine you for doing somethign dangerous, you can buy a permit to keep doing it. Can I have an overnight permit to speed? Drive drunk? Text and drive?

Old 05-02-2011, 11:28 AM   #7
Retired Traffic Cop

I agree with you here. Why is exceeding your licensed weight a fine on an escalating scale that quickly becomes quite a significant fine. However, overload a vehicle beyond the weights that its manufacturer says is unsafe and you get a fixed price ticket that can be much less by comparison.

I have also been the victim of not knowing who to ask the question of. The weigh scales, traffic police and ICBC at head office come to mind as your best bets. After that, EnquiryBC.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:36 AM   #8
I subscribe to Revscene

On a slightly unrelated note, why is it that some North American cars are rated with a lower towing capacity than the same car in Europe? Not talking about big RVs here, but the difference in ratings for my car mean in Canada I get stuck with a tent-trailer but in the UK the same car would be able to pull a decent small RV.

I'm guessing it is because NA drivers are generally treated like incompetent morons. (Driving curfews at night in tornado stricken Alabama right now because the lights are out).

Old 05-02-2011, 11:53 AM   #9

Maybe because "the same car" isn't actually the same in different markets? Like the Euro versions are outfitted differently? Bigger brakes, transmission cooler, little things like that?

I can get two different versions of my Jeep that have different tow ratings, too.
Quote:
Old 05-02-2011, 12:36 PM   #10
I subscribe to Revscene

It may be, but I don't think so.

I have an Outback, which has smaller brakes than the Legacy it is based on, yet in Canada it has a higher tow rating than the Legacy. No extra tranny/oil coolers.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:17 PM   #11

Or maybe Transport Canada simply has different regulations and ways that they gauge capacity, based on things OTHER than simply assuming that drivers are "incompetent morons". Ever think part of the problem may be that drivers are given TOO MUCH credit for their ability in the UK?

I mean, obviously not you, because you're a special case who's superior to us all, but you know... drivers in general.
Quote: