REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Photography Lab

Photography Lab THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
A place to display digital masterpieces, enhance photography skills, photoshop, and share photo tips with one another...

Old 05-09-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Need help on choosing a PAS for trip (ELPH 100 vs DSC-WX7)

Looking for advice between two PAS cameras with similar prices. (both around 230 dollars)

Sony Cyber-shot DSCWX7
CMOS 1/2.3 type
5x optical zoom
35 mm Equivalent 28 mm - 140 mm
2.8" LCD monitor, 460k
f/2.6 - f/6.3
Continuous Shooting - Highest Quality 10 fps
Video : 1440 x 1080 @ 30fps; 1280 x 720 @ 30fps
Shooting Capacity Up To 230 Shots

Canon Powershot ELPH 100
CMOS 1/2.3 type
4x optical zoom
35 mm Equivalent 28 mm - 112 mm
3" LCD monitor, 230k
f/2.8 - f/17
Continuous Shooting - Highest Quality 8.2 fps
Video: 1920 x 1080 @ 24 fps; 1280 x 720 @ 30 fps
Shooting Capacity Up To 230 Shots

From what I've read, the PS ELPH100 has a problem with it's flash being too close to the lens, which may result in a dark shadow in some of your pictures. The ELPH100 has a fairly average LCD monitor (230k) also. The ELPH100 comes with lots of fun settings, 27 total, (fish eye, super slo-mo video, toy camera) which would be pretty cool. Although I don't know if shooting 1080p at 24fps rather than 30fps would make much difference.

The CS DSCWX7 has a wider lens (25mm), more optical zoom, sharper LCD monitor, but has minimal effects.
Advertisement
Nechako87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:56 PM   #2
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Either will do just fine for your trip to SE Asia
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-14-2011, 09:19 AM   #3
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

I would prefer the Sony. Slightly faster lens.

If you're shooting video, then choose canon. But like liquidturbo said, either one will do just fine.
kknater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #4
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

for me in terms of PAS, I'd take Canon over any other brand for the colors and image quality. Aside from a Leica..
Old 05-15-2011, 10:46 AM   #5
ddr
Snapping away

load a picture taken by both cameras onto a computer screen if possible. even the flagship sony PAS sensor was disappointing for me.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:56 AM   #6
Meow

I bought my girlfriend the sony wx9, which is almost exactly like the wx7, just a slighter larger screen and zoom i believe.
It's a great camera, here ill post a few good pics she took. I only got the wx9 cause it came in purple. It's like 30bucks more than the wx7

playing with the panoramic setting.

Araaadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:29 PM   #7

sony cameras look good design wise, but canon's got way better IQ handsdown. It makes sense, canon specialize in cameras (and some office equipment) but sony makes everything under the sun.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:46 PM   #8
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
^ Any reference that Sony P&S are 'hand down' better IQ compared to Canon?

Typically I would like to think that just about any P&S is good these days, and the only quality that I would look out for is good battery life because you don't want to charge up the battery like crazy when you are travelling.

Camera is just a tool, I think most experts could get some great shots using the shittiest of P&S today.

THat being said, if I were to get a P&S, I would probably opt for the Canon S95.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:52 PM   #9
ddr
Snapping away

well to give anyone a specific example, i owned the HX5V and was extremely dissapointed in its low light performance, and how it smudged all the details. this is their flagship at the time (~a year ago). not to offend the above posted examples, but even a $100 cam can do well in daylight. i bet the iphone does too. the softness at the far end of the zoom of the hx5v and the detail smudging was just unbelievable (at night). They advertise how they use features like stitching 3 pics together (since it can do 10fps @ full res) to make a sharp photo. it works only sometimes, and definitely not when you most need it. i did love the panoramic feature, but it's such a gimmick.

upgraded to the S95 and am thoroughly content; compared to the sony.

when girls ask me which PAS cam is good, i don't really respond. they like these slim cybershots to take to the club. and i guess i understand only those would fit in their tiny purses. besides, most of the time they take pics with the flash on, which tests nothing of the low light capabilities of the camera. everyone that i've pointed towards to the s95 is very happy with it tho.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
^ Any reference that Sony P&S are 'hand down' better IQ compared to Canon?

Typically I would like to think that just about any P&S is good these days, and the only quality that I would look out for is good battery life because you don't want to charge up the battery like crazy when you are travelling.

Camera is just a tool, I think most experts could get some great shots using the shittiest of P&S today.

THat being said, if I were to get a P&S, I would probably opt for the Canon S95.
just personal experience. Using my old canon SD1000, the images come out vibrant and nice (as it should be with pas, you dont really want to spend hours in PS to tweak your pas images..) then I use my dads new cybershot that cost 2x more than my SD1000 and 3 years newer, the images (although with way more megapix) look washed out and bland.