REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Photography Lab

Photography Lab THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
A place to display digital masterpieces, enhance photography skills, photoshop, and share photo tips with one another...

Old 05-09-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
Cool beans bro

Thanked 1,054 Times in 231 Posts
Rode Videomic. Pro or no?

I'm looking for a video mic for my 7D and wanted to know what you guys think of the Rodes. Ebay has some really good deals on new Videomic I's for like 160-170 or the Pros for 220. Anyone know if its worth the extra $50? I know it's smaller and has slight differences but in terms of sound is the average user going to know the difference?
Advertisement
JordanLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:48 PM   #2
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
Haven't tested them side by side, but they're a hell of a lot better than using the built-in mic.

Have you looked at the little Sennheiser one too?
http://www.sennheiser.ca/live/senn/produit/en/1238/163

I personally use the RODE Stereo VideoMic, and I'm quite happy with it. It's more omni-directional than the Pro, IIRC.

R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2011, 12:33 AM   #3
Cool beans bro

Thanks for the help. Might just get the cheaper one as space isn't really an issue and the sound quality is pretty much identical. What type of LCD viewfinder is that? Doesn't really look like a Z Finder.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:42 AM   #4
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
The viewfinder is the Cinevate Cyclops with the Simplis plate adapter - it's superior to the Z-Finder. It's the one to use if you're serious about cinematography. I like it because you don't need to have your eye right on the viewfinder. You can be 2 feet away and still pull focus easily.

http://www.cinevate.com/catalog/prod...0933151d7a9960

R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
Cool beans bro

Ordered my original Videomic today on eBay. Used one in mint condition for 90CDN lol. Can't complain for that price. Kind of on a budget so a $450 LCDVF is kinda pricey. I'm looking at one of these knock offs on ebay for like 40-50$ just to make it easier to analyze shots.