REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
Need to Seek Professional Help

ipad

im planning on using my ipad as a deck in my car. can somone argue this against me in a car accident. i wont be watching videos, just using it for its gps capabilities and music.
Advertisement

then again, what do I know... i've only been here since 2000
/// E46 328i
AutozamAZ-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:46 AM   #2
Banned (ABWS)

people can argue anything. Look from the judge's perspective. it's incredibly easy to press the home button and claim you didn't do shit if you were actually watching a movie and open up google maps.
MrGoodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Looking at it from purely a safety standpoint, I wouldn't want a touch screen that spans nearly 10 inches as my main deck in a car. It's so big that you'll have to take your eyes off the road, hunt around the 9.7" screen, find what you want, and tap it with your finger.
Compare that to a "classic" deck with physical buttons. Give me a few hours with any classic deck, and I'll be able to operate it without looking at all.

I do use my iPad to play music, but I operate it with the screen off. I've configured Activator to allow the volume buttons to control next-track, previous track, and play/pause.
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:20 AM   #4
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundless View Post
Looking at it from purely a safety standpoint, I wouldn't want a touch screen that spans nearly 10 inches as my main deck in a car. It's so big that you'll have to take your eyes off the road, hunt around the 9.7" screen, find what you want, and tap it with your finger.
Compare that to a "classic" deck with physical buttons. Give me a few hours with any classic deck, and I'll be able to operate it without looking at all.

I do use my iPad to play music, but I operate it with the screen off. I've configured Activator to allow the volume buttons to control next-track, previous track, and play/pause.

To play Devil's advocate, the larger screen should be better for driving. Icons will be huge and easy to see at a glance, rather than the small screens on most decks, GPS devices, ...
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote