REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 05-17-2011, 04:36 PM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Cheapest Place To Buy Organic Produce

I wanna try eating organic for a week or two just to see if there's any difference.

I know organic generally does cost more but does anyone here on RS know where to go shop and it won't cost me an arm and a leg?

TIA!
Advertisement
Old 05-17-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
one of the cheaper places might be famous foods on kingsway/king ed
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2011, 06:30 PM   #3
Old School RS

Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,202 Posts
Famous foods is good stuff. Kin's also sells some organic produce and is reasonably priced.

However, you are wasting your time if you expect to see any real noticeable difference in 7 days eating the exact same mix of fruits/vegetables non organic to organic.

Might notice a difference going from McDonalds to organic...

Mark
Old 05-18-2011, 06:39 AM   #4
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Organic food isn't THAT much more expensive. Whole foods? Just have to be smart about which things you buy organic. For example, organic bananas aren't TOO important because of their skin. If you were making a salad, then perhaps organic spinach isn't that bad.

Think about how much you pay for your car and gas, etc and money wasted on other things like electronics. Personally I think it's worth it to provide some quality food for you body.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2011, 08:11 AM   #5
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Kins. Also Farmer's Markets every where (and most of them start this week).

For groceries - Whole Foods in Vancouver, Roots in Maple Ridge (Organic World is right across the street from it too). Planet Organic in Poco's got a great selection but I think Roots has better Pricing.

For Meat - I don't know any in Van sorry but Meridian Meats (TriCities and Ridge) has VERY affordable free range and organic meat. And while it's a bit pricier, Hobcott's in Pitt Meadows is fantastic and all of their meat is organic, free range and local.

BUT you can't just eat organic for a week to see if you feel different. You're going to need to do it for a couple of months. The summer is a great time to do it though.

Also there's some items that are more "worth" going organic with. If you search online you should be able to find a good list of what's going to have the biggest impact on your diet.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:51 AM   #6
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
whole foods is the most expensive of all
i avoid that place unless theres something very specific i want.
once i went there to buy sherry vinegar, it was like 15 bucks. went to gourmet warehouse after, it was 9 bucks.

farmers markets are a great place to buy organic produce and meats, but its usually not very cheap at all.

i dont eat that much organic food, but i dont think you'll notice any difference even if you ate it for a few months or possibly even years.

the point is theres thousands of toxic chemicals that you interact with on a daily basis, and by just changing your diet to 100% organic alone, you probably only reduce the % of chemicals you interact with by like 15%. the moment from when you wake up to when you leave your house you've probably encountered dozens of toxins, even if you skip breakfast. to notice a real difference, you'd have to understand the sources of all your life's controllable toxins and eliminate as many as possible.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:12 AM   #7
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Well the thing is you CAN control the toxins in what you eat and really, as someone with a food related illness, I can testify towards how huge an impact your diet can and does have on your health.

We do, unwittingly poison ourselves daily. We may not be able to clean the air but we can be watchful of what we put in our bodies.

That said, I think there's things that are worth doing organic, and things that aren't. I don't buy a lot of organic produce unless it's at my local farmer's market which IS substancialy cheaper.

But Dairy and Meat are the places you can impact your diet the most by going organic. They're also the most expensive (especially dairy). Especially if you have kids, if you want to go healthier this is where you get the best impact.

Even more so though, avoiding processed food like the plague is the #1 important thing to do that will, and drastically change how you feel. Organic or not, making things yourself from scratch or as close to it as possible will give you complete control over what you eat, eliminate the preservatives and artificial crap in your diet and make you feel MUCH better.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:45 AM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
Ill never buy organic broccoli, ever again. Once I got some from whole foods, boiled it and a whole bunch of aphids poured out from behind the leaves.

Disgusting.

Posted via RS Mobile
Matlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:00 PM   #9
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock View Post
Ill never buy organic broccoli, ever again. Once I got some from whole foods, boiled it and a whole bunch of aphids poured out from behind the leaves.

Disgusting.

Posted via RS Mobile
Well its better than eating chemicals! Gotta check that stuff before buying I think. Even all of this organic produce easily moulds.. so check the stems before buying.

But really, safeway and all the major places sell produce at really good prices. Choices, IGA, Safeway and Saveon is a fine choice.
abdulclamwacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:54 PM   #10
DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?

Thanked 2,571 Times in 689 Posts
I notice a lot of people said Kin's--it really depends on the location. I used to work part time at one and maybe 2-3 weeks out of the entire year will we have anything one may consider a "variety" of organic produce.
Culture_Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote