REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech

Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Discussion on how to keep your car shining bright and make them heads turn..

Old 05-18-2011, 08:27 AM   #1
Need to Seek Professional Help

Question about auto detailing

Hey guys

This might be a stupid question and i know most of you guys might know this already, but when you completely polish wax your car , how long does it last?

i know there is some maintaining involved in keeping your car in pristine condition after the polish job, i was just more curious that if i took my car to Autowerkes, 2-3 months later the car needs to be taken back to look the same way it did when it left their shop.

i guess it depends how thorough of a job you pay for, yes?

anybody care to shine some light on this topic?

i ask because im thinking of purchasing a Porter cable 7424 and i want to know what im getting myself into and how often i should do it VS me bringing to a place, have a smoke and watch somebody else work on my car.

thanks for any input guys.
Advertisement
cruz-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:53 AM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

do it yourself saves yourself money and it isnt that hard..
Nabatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:59 AM   #3
jjl
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

It should last forever if it never gets dirty again

Depending on if it is a daily driver, and how often you wash/protect it after, what techniques you wash will tell you how long it "lasts" (gets swirled up again). Type of paint (soft vs hard) and colour (black showing swirls the easiest) may also affect that.

If you took it to autowerkes for a polish job, it would most likely not need to be taken back 2-3 months later for another polish. What is your current washing regime? This will be the key factor in when you bring the car back for another polish up.

Ken will work with his magic even with his single stage polish polish so he is very thorough when it comes to polishing.

If you're interested and plan to do this again down the line then buying it isn't so bad. You recoup the costs after one polish, but it takes time so if your car is like a chore to you it probably isn't such a good idea.
jjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:03 AM   #4
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,456 Times in 989 Posts
if you polish out 90% of the scratches, it'll probably still look better that it would have several years later assuming you use proper car wash techniques
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl View Post
It should last forever if it never gets dirty again

Depending on if it is a daily driver, and how often you wash/protect it after, what techniques you wash will tell you how long it "lasts" (gets swirled up again). Type of paint (soft vs hard) and colour (black showing swirls the easiest) may also affect that.

If you took it to autowerkes for a polish job, it would most likely not need to be taken back 2-3 months later for another polish. What is your current washing regime? This will be the key factor in when you bring the car back for another polish up.

Ken will work with his magic even with his single stage polish polish so he is very thorough when it comes to polishing.

If you're interested and plan to do this again down the line then buying it isn't so bad. You recoup the costs after one polish, but it takes time so if your car is like a chore to you it probably isn't such a good idea.
heheh

yeah its a daily driver and i usually wash every 2 weeks, wax whenever the swirls start showing up again. The car being dark blue doesnt really help either, as i notice that it shows swirls quite quickly.

im assuming that a DIY polish/wax is a 7-8 hour job right?
cruz-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:29 AM   #6
jjl
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruz-in View Post
heheh

yeah its a daily driver and i usually wash every 2 weeks, wax whenever the swirls start showing up again. The car being dark blue doesnt really help either, as i notice that it shows swirls quite quickly.

im assuming that a DIY polish/wax is a 7-8 hour job right?
2 weeks is pretty diligent, maintain the protection and if swirls are showing up really fast then make sure you wash properly and your paint will look fine for a longer time.

Sounds about right, could take longer, if you have a garage take your time. I did it over a span of 2 days.
jjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:34 AM   #7
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

without polishing, I easily do 5 hours nonstop just on exterior lol
I'd show you a few detailing stuff as you're in richmond as well but sadly I'll be jetting back to Hong Kong soon and possibly never return (which then I'll have to sell some of my detailing goods like the 110V PC)
but yeah proper wash technique very important to keep swirls n marring to minimum (its impossible to stay 100% corrected sadly unless you garage queen it)
kyoshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:03 AM   #8
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

I've taking up to 8-9 hours from wash, claybar and wax and everything in between. Really depends how much you want to do
dark_reverie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:09 AM   #9

Realistically, once the car is polished, you should be able to maintain the look for the balance of the year without issue. As noted, "how" you wash your car will play the biggest role as almost all paintwork damage is wash/dry induced. Your car, being a dark colour, may need a light polish each spring, but thats it. We have all the supplies to help you do it yourself and I can show you how to use the polisher. It's not rocket science, but it is time consuming.
911fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2011, 02:41 PM   #10
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
You should try a clay bar if you havent already.. Big difference, Car feels like brand new and feels like glass to the touch. I do it once a year with bi-weekly washes..

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote