REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-19-2011, 04:51 AM   #1
b92
Banned (ABWS)

laser detectors legal? which one to buy?

Are they illegal? do you guys that have it usually just hide it? which one is the best one to buy while on budget? thanks
Advertisement
b92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:48 AM   #2
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
They are not legal as you have to "obstruct" Police to use them. Criminal code offence, seizure and criminal record if convicted. Laser operators can detect that you are using one.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:44 AM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
legal in BC. Detectors not = jammers.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:11 AM   #4
RS Peace Officer

Your post is a bit confusing to me??? Radar detectors are legal in BC, Laser jammers are prohibited if used to jam Police Laser operations.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:16 AM   #5
b92
Banned (ABWS)

so laser detectors are legal, the ones that beep when there is radar gun up ahead?
Old 05-19-2011, 08:17 AM   #6

yes those are legal. you can buy it from Futureshop and Bestbuy. Someone else chime in on what's good what's not.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:20 AM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
I wish they had written a justification on where they received their sources for Canada from, but they give sources to legality in the US.

http://www.1stradardetectors.com/rad...ector-laws.php

This is why I've lately been saying radar detectors AND laser jammers are LEGAL.
Might need to send this website an email to ask for their sources for the legality in BC.
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:38 AM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
I'll also add in, detecting laser is nearly impossible. Radar has to be constantly on and bouncing a signal back and forth. Laser is a single motion, they pull the trigger and it hits you within a second, and iwthin that same second they get a reading on your speed.

Radar detectors are worth it, just for the fact that cops are still using radar more then laser right now.
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:48 AM   #9
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Don't waste your money. If the laser detector goes off, you're already busted.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:52 AM   #10
b92
Banned (ABWS)

hmm, mixed info here ppl. they work and they don't work?
Old 05-19-2011, 08:59 AM   #11
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
Do you own one?....I myself have Bell one that I use, and its saved my ass a few times already from people being lasered around me...
"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."
Supafly is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2011, 09:02 AM   #12
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,470 Times in 995 Posts
how does that work? if the laser isnt targeting you how are you picking it up?
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:06 AM   #13
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
how does that work? if the laser isnt targeting you how are you picking it up?
iirc, if you're close enough i believe you can pick it up?? not entirely clear on the concept but every now and then, i'll get a "laser warning"; it'll go ape shit for a sec or two..then not to far up, i'll spot a patrol car gunning.....
"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."
Supafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:14 AM   #14
I bringith the lowerballerith

Radar and Laser detectors are legal in BC, however I believe there are several provinces that ban the use of detectors (radar and laser). Even having it mounted is a no-no.

Jammers are illegal.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:41 AM   #15
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Not necessarily.
I won't say taht a detector will svae your ass alone. You still need to use your head, especially when dealing with well trained officers like the integrated road safety crew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supafly View Post
Do you own one?....I myself have Bell one that I use, and its saved my ass a few times already from people being lasered around me...
Werd.
I've had traces of radar from the vehicles ahead. Running a 9500ix, I know that if it beeps I better be on edge. Most of the time, it's right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_bc View Post
Jammers are illegal.
They're not jammers. They are actually parking assists, and are marketed as such.

http://www.kmph.ca/products/laser-pr...ad-system.html

It's all based on the interpretation of the law though. While a lawyer could probably get you "off" on a charge of obstruction. I would rather not get into that situation myself...
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #16
Need to Seek Professional Help

^What he said...technically you could argue your laser jammer is just a parking sensor and they are often marketed that way. Although I'm not sure if the law would be on your side...lol

Also, some detectors detect both radar and laser...but detecting laser is somewhat pointless since by the time it goes off the cop already has your speed. Radar on the other hand is useful because the detector can pick up some traces reflecting off cars in front.

For Sale:

BNIB Acupuncture Wallet PM me for details

Google / LG Nexus 4
crazyazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:03 PM   #17
RS Peace Officer

[QUOTE=melloman;7439827]I'll also add in, detecting laser is nearly impossible. Radar has to be constantly on and bouncing a signal back and forth. Laser is a single motion, they pull the trigger and it hits you within a second, and iwthin that same second they get a reading on your speed.

Actually 60 distance measurements are made in 1/3 of a second. Pretty hard to get slowed downin that time. Laser is only used in stationary mode as the distance that is being measured has to be not increasing or decreasing. Radar can be used in stationary or mobile mode.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:37 PM   #18
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Laser is a single motion, they pull the trigger and it hits you within a second, and iwthin that same second they get a reading on your speed.
I'm sure you know that the LIDER used by the RCMP is also prone to scatter. This gives drivers with good detectors lots of prior warning. Also, there is a skill to using the LIDAR gun. On a lot of modern vehicles, you're limited to where you can aim the unit to get that proper reflection. Consider that 1/3 second return time is in perfect conditions. I'd prefer to run with a detector, than without regardless.

I see a lot of K and KA band on police cars, and CVSE trucks. In the last 4 years of using a radar detector, I have yet to come across a Laser warning. I'm guessing the cost of a RADAR gun is a lot less than an equivalent laser. I also noticed that the RCMP doesn't do a lot of enforcement by AIR anymore. Did they realized just how expensive that is?
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supafly View Post
Used to have a V1 and it didn't help... lol
Old 05-19-2011, 01:11 PM   #20
RS.net Licensed Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
I'm sure you know that the LIDER used by the RCMP is also prone to scatter. This gives drivers with good detectors lots of prior warning. Also, there is a skill to using the LIDAR gun. On a lot of modern vehicles, you're limited to where you can aim the unit to get that proper reflection. Consider that 1/3 second return time is in perfect conditions. I'd prefer to run with a detector, than without regardless.

I see a lot of K and KA band on police cars, and CVSE trucks. In the last 4 years of using a radar detector, I have yet to come across a Laser warning. I'm guessing the cost of a RADAR gun is a lot less than an equivalent laser. I also noticed that the RCMP doesn't do a lot of enforcement by AIR anymore. Did they realized just how expensive that is?
I thought in the lower mainland they only use KA band, not K band

www.drivehard.ca
140/150 11351 Bridgeport Road
Richmond, BC
604-270-2494

Official dealers of : Volk Racing, Vossen wheels, Yokohama, Gram lights, KICS Project, Status Racing Seat, AMS tuning, KW Automotive, Work Wheel, VMR Wheel, Macht Schnell, Tein, Defi, Vishnu Tuning, HRE Wheel, MXP Exhaust, Vorsteiner, Varis, Arqray, Techart, Champion, Iforged, NEEZ Wheel
DHP 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:28 PM   #21
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

they use both ka and k. depends where in the lower mainland you are. atleast thats what i picked up from using my v1 for 3 years
bikerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:26 PM   #22

from what I hear to form a legal speed reading they need to make 2 readings and make sure that the first signal did not bounce off a low flying aircraft or a fast flying bird or what not. I'm not 100% on this.

and if that's true, then there will be 1 or 2 seconds split between them, so if the 2nd reading is under speed limit you will be let away on benefit of the doubt. That's how I got the finger pointing cop on the foot of pattullo bridge after my detector went and I slammed the brakes on the bridge deck.

I have a radar/laser detector and I must say it has saved my ass more times than its MSRP x 10 easy. Even when we are on a strictly laser based speed trap system here.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:12 PM   #23
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Used to have a V1 and it didn't help... lol
the V1 is a tool, no offense, but if it 'didn't work' you were using it incorrectly

as a tool, they have weaknesses, for example if you are first in traffic, and a cop uses instant on lazer, you're done for, but really that's the only way you'll get caught

i have one, and it has saved me a LOT of times being pulled over
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2011, 05:27 PM   #24

I find it worked great with radar but not with the laser. I never speed when I'm first in line after the incident. I ultimately sold it because if I'm always following traffic, what do I need the thing for? Blending in with traffic is my best defense.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:46 PM   #25
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
They are not legal as you have to "obstruct" Police to use them. Criminal code offence, seizure and criminal record if convicted. Laser operators can detect that you are using one.
The obstruction part is false.

There is no law against broadcasting light. As far as obstruction, officers can write you up a ticket based on their visual estimation of your speed. With LIDAR, the car has to be in the officer's line of sight, so LIDAR jammers do not interfere with the popo.