REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Fashion & Shopping (https://www.revscene.net/forums/fashion-shopping_34/)
-   -   help! what color shirt/tie to go with 3 button suit? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/646189-help-what-color-shirt-tie-go-3-button-suit.html)

insomniac 05-25-2011 04:56 PM

help! what color shirt/tie to go with 3 button suit?

prom is coming up in under a week for me.
just picked up a black 3 buttoned blazer/pants this morning.
thought of just wearing a white dress shirt with a black tie.
then decided that its too bland and ill wear that to grad instead.
now im thinking of this
http://www.binbin.net/photos/tmlewin...cket-28954.jpg

but some people say its more businessy. what color shirts and tie would you guys recommend? im trying to avoid darker colored shirts. i kinda want something that will pop because prom is more of a happy event. no funky colors like light green and light yellow shirts please.

tia!

iam_dan 05-25-2011 08:22 PM

personally i think 3 button suits are too conservative looking.
have you considered striped shirt/ties?

for solid colors, i think gray and black tie looks pretty good.
if you're thinking of a white shirt, pretty much any tie will work.

insomniac 05-25-2011 09:01 PM

yeah i thought so too but i couldnt argue for the fit and price i got for it.. i somewhat regret getting a 3 button suit :/
yeah ive considered striped shirts/ties and microdotted shirts and im totally open to them. i just want a color scheme right now i guess haha

hchang 05-25-2011 09:13 PM

White Shirt/Black Tie is wayyy to professional looking for any grad events.

I would recommend a bold colour for your dress shirt, like dark purple, with any colour tie you see fit.

SpuGen 05-25-2011 09:55 PM

Go for a 2 Button. It can be casual depending on the shirt, so you can use it in the future.

Do you have a tie? a Shirt?

Details count!
If you go for a Slim Tie, Small Collar, Narrow Lapel. Make sure you go with this rule of thumb.
Collar: 2 inches, Lapel: 1 3/4 inches, Tie: 1 1/2 inches.

Wide Tie, Deep Collar, Wide Lapel.
Collar: 3 1/2 inches, Lapel: 4 inches, Tie: 3 1/2 Inches.

Figure out what sized tie you want, then choose the best colour/pattern. Just go with a colour that goes with your complexion. If a bright colour works, get a dark tie. There's nothing wrong with a bit of colour.
I suggest going for a slim tie. It's more casual, but can also be formal. Just add a Tie clip or a Pocket square. Don't forget about cufflinks! You can get away with just a Tie clip with Cufflinks, but a Pocket Square will give it that extra bit of detail that really stands out.

If you're short/wide, the Pocket Square, along with the Clip will draw attention away from your belly, and towards the tie/Square. Match it with a Slim tie/collar/lapel combo with a deep V to make you look a bit taller.

The Other Details:
- Notched Lapel. Great for any occasion. You don't need a tux.
- The cuffs should poke just past the jacket sleeve.
- Tie should end at the belt line.
- Dimple the tie! Index in the middle, Thumb and Middle Finger Squeeze. Pinch and Pull. Simple.
- Tailor the suit! If the suit looks baggy, you're gonna look like shit. Get it tailored.
- Get insoles, and dust some Goldbond into your shoe. It's going to be a long night, and your feet will ache and sweat. It helps. ALOT.

That should cover you.
If not, go read some GQ.

PJ 05-25-2011 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hchang (Post 7448198)
White Shirt/Black Tie is wayyy to professional looking for any grad events.

I would recommend a bold colour for your dress shirt, like dark purple, with any colour tie you see fit.

+1

I've always wanted to try dark purple shirt with a silver tie.

insomniac 05-25-2011 10:45 PM

wow SpuGen thanks alot!
sadly i think im keeping the 3 button suit :( no time to get one tailored or find another one that fits me cuz prom is in a few days. yes i know i left this pretty late :(
its perfect fit on the shoulders, chest and hip.

right now im looking at a dark purple dress shirt. its metallic looking with a bit of blue pearl. i think im gonna go for a black tie ? thanks alot guys!

hchang 05-26-2011 04:08 PM

Be careful with a black tie on a dark purple dress shirt cause it may not show up as well as you think it would in pictures.

I would also recommend a silver tie actually, if you haven't already purchased one.
Posted via RS Mobile

iam_dan 05-26-2011 06:06 PM

if you're regretting the suit jacket but still want to keep it, have you considered a button up vest underneath to make it a 3piece?
i mean, you could just wear the jacket to and fro, while going jacketless during the event & evening itself.

insomniac 05-26-2011 07:51 PM

^yeah thats what i was just about to post!
asked alot of people and they agreed that darker red tie/vest on white dress shirt will look good on me. im more of the rough looking people :/

this was the very first suit i looked at. very cheap but only avaliable in the states.
http://www.jimsformalwear.com/images...n_alt3_lrg.jpg
should i go for a even darker red? im chinese if that makes any difference lol

hchang 05-26-2011 09:13 PM

No, I think that red's just perfect.

Unless you can get your date to rock a dark red dress as well, which I don't think will be the case if prom's just a couple days away.

instantneedles 05-26-2011 09:30 PM

black blazer, white shirt and solid silver tie..... sticks out like a sour thumb. But in a very very good way... trust me it looks sharp as fuck...

jtanner_ 05-26-2011 09:46 PM

How soon is your grad? I have a bunch of ties if you need to borrow one man lol

instantneedles 05-26-2011 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtanner_ (Post 7449481)
How soon is your grad? I have a bunch of ties if you need to borrow one man lol

oh shieett broo i need some too, got any solid silver ties?

Shades 05-26-2011 09:56 PM

Wear a pocket square and you'll be golden. Have fun:)

insomniac 05-26-2011 10:00 PM

@jtanner no its alright man prom is on sunday LOL.
tmrw ill go downtown and hopefully find a matching red tie, vest and pocket square..

for grad im just gonna wear a black tie. seen pictures last year and some ties/shirts really clashed with the grad gowns :/

ilvtofu 05-26-2011 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hchang (Post 7449450)
No, I think that red's just perfect.

Unless you can get your date to rock a dark red dress as well, which I don't think will be the case if prom's just a couple days away.

I'm sure he has nothing to worry about as far as matching with his date goes :troll:

insomniac 05-28-2011 05:50 PM

kay just got my shiurt/tie/cufflinks/tie clip with ilvtofu today.
got a bright blue shirt and a silky black tie because i cant find a red vest/tie :/
never really worn anything bright blue but ill see if i can pull it off tomorrow haha.

thanks everyone and especially Spugen and hchang! :)
without ilvtofu i wouldnt been able to find in time and a suit that fits well. <3 no homo

hchang 05-28-2011 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 737! (Post 7451355)
kay just got my shiurt/tie/cufflinks/tie clip with ilvtofu today.

:gayfight:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilvtofu (Post 7449557)
I'm sure he has nothing to worry about as far as matching with his date goes :troll:

:alone:

insomniac 05-29-2011 12:26 AM

hmmm blue with black tie or white with black tie?
i prefer white but i have a feeling half the people will wear white shirts tmrw lol
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll...15kzo1_500.jpg

hchang 05-29-2011 11:44 AM

Blue with black tie looks a lot better.
Posted via RS Mobile

SpuGen 05-29-2011 03:00 PM

Blue with Black.

iam_dan 05-29-2011 04:41 PM

to avoid looking like you're attending a funeral, id say the blue shirt and black tie is a better choice

Splmash 05-29-2011 06:50 PM

What size are you? I have a purple shirt and silver tie that I never will wear again.

But for casual dinner settings like prom/date, I go with my favorite look. Black blazer, skim dress pants, and a skinny black tie on a nice clean white dress shirt.

BUT don't forget the most important thing = shoes. Make sure they don't look all bulky, and have your dress shoes nicely shined

bcrdukes 05-29-2011 07:35 PM

Pair up your suit with a striped tie.

You'd be so boss.