REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Chevrolet Volt appears on Nissan Leaf commercial (https://www.revscene.net/forums/646569-chevrolet-volt-appears-nissan-leaf-commercial.html)

Timpo 05-30-2011 07:41 PM

Chevrolet Volt appears on Nissan Leaf commercial

1exotic 05-30-2011 07:48 PM

I guess the Volt owner is jelly.

RabidRat 05-30-2011 07:49 PM

lol nice commercial

ilvtofu 05-30-2011 07:51 PM

Lol I think I'd still rather have the volt for the peace of mind though

The_AK 05-30-2011 08:46 PM

Timpo - "its still not gtr"

CP.AR 05-30-2011 10:40 PM

I see what they are referring to lol.

But I think we need something like the volt as a bridge between Gas/Hybrid -> Full Electric

Energy 05-31-2011 01:14 AM

Lol nice potshot at the volt there.

Meowjin 05-31-2011 01:55 AM

where does the power for the plug come from?!!?

ALL THE SAME SHIT.

dangonay 05-31-2011 05:06 AM

^ Not really. Sure some electricity comes from coal or gas fired plants (depending where you live), but it's still more efficient. One large plant converting gas to electricity uses less total fuel than 1,000 cars each converting gas in their less-efficient on-board engines.

Not so original. Nissan copied GM who already made this type of commercial. Years ago GM introduced a new family of engines and had a "loyal customer" decide the engine was so good he was going to use that engine in everything around his house. Unfortunately, Youtube doesn't have a copy.

Great68 05-31-2011 06:19 AM

The next volt commercial should show a leaf with a dead battery on the side of a highway.

death_blossom 05-31-2011 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Picard (Post 7453982)
But I think we need something like the volt as a bridge between Gas/Hybrid -> Full Electric

agreed. the Leaf is only good for ppl who commute within city limits. the Volt has a much greater distance capability cuz of the gas powered generator engine.

Timpo 05-31-2011 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajinHurricane (Post 7454183)
where does the power for the plug come from?!!?

ALL THE SAME SHIT.

in BC we have BC Hydro...so hydro powered?

Timpo 05-31-2011 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 7454257)
The next volt commercial should show a leaf with a dead battery on the side of a highway.

I suppoed GM could've made that commercial, saying that Leaf can be useless in a long distance travel...

but they can't really brag about having a gasoline engine in it...then what's the point right? because I'm pretty sure that reason why GM made Volt is because they want to have this "green" image.

vitaminG 05-31-2011 01:46 PM

A gas powered cell phone would be wicked, battery running low just pop into a chevron and youre good to go.

Come to think of it sucks enough when my phone battery is dying and im stranded, it would be a lot worse if i had to worry about that happening to my car.

AWDTurboLuvr 05-31-2011 02:26 PM

Chevy's small jab at the Leaf....it's at the end.

k3mps 05-31-2011 02:29 PM

^^^^

"big step up from the leaf blower"

no pun intended :fullofwin:

Great68 05-31-2011 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timpo (Post 7454643)
I suppoed GM could've made that commercial, saying that Leaf can be useless in a long distance travel...

but they can't really brag about having a gasoline engine in it...then what's the point right? because I'm pretty sure that reason why GM made Volt is because they want to have this "green" image.

So in reality if you own a leaf, you're going to need 2nd car with a gasoline engine if you plan on taking long distance drives anywhere...

I would argue that having to own and maintain TWO cars, one of which still has to be gasoline is hardly green at all. Not to mention a fuckload more expensive.

ilvtofu 05-31-2011 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 7454722)
So in reality if you own a leaf, you're going to need 2nd car with a gasoline engine if you plan on taking long distance drives anywhere...

I would argue that having to own and maintain TWO cars, one of which still has to be gasoline is hardly green at all. Not to mention a fuckload more expensive.

Or you could rent a car for road trips etc... like what a lot of ppl already do

Matlock 05-31-2011 05:57 PM

lol Chevy Volt
Oh snap

Leaf could totally work if you live in the states and have more than one car like many other people down there do. It's a lot easier to maintain more than one vehicle when food, housing, and gas doesn't cost as much as the amount we all pay.

Regenerative braking is cool.
One of my instructors did say that electricians will be doing maintenance on electric cars in the future.

dangonay 05-31-2011 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilvtofu (Post 7454916)

That makes a lot of sense. Buy a car and then rent another car since yours is so limited. Why not buy a slightly better car in the first place?

And did anyone else thnk the leaf blower comment in the Volt video was dubbed in?

Timpo 05-31-2011 08:53 PM

GM Calls Leaf Commercial Cute, but Damaging [Video]
30th of May 2011 | 12:58 GMT | Daniel Patrascu

Earlier this week, French automaker Renault (and, subsequently, Japanese manufacturer Nissan) hit us with a question: what if all those everyday appliances, all the tools you use at work, all those little gadgets that make up your life were all powered by gas? Polluting, internal combustion engines in the blowdryer, for instance...

As cuddly the video presented by Renault in Europe is, as nasty is the one presented by Nissan in the US. There, in a place where a company is free to advertise its products by making fun of the competition's Nissan's Leaf jumped right at the throat of Chevrolet's Volt, making it look small, insignificant and, above all, it made it look just as ordinary as everything else.

Nissan's campaign was not left unanswered by GM, the giant that decided not to build electric vehicles, but plug-in hybrids. Meaning cars that still use an internal combustion engine (hence the memorable image with the “electric” Volt gassing up at a station somewhere), even if it's called “range extender.”

In a rare, but delicious unofficial reply on Twitter, GM product and brand communications chief Jason Laird had this to say:

“A carmaker poking gentle fun at our product ignores towtrucks they need and rental cars they recommend as backup to their product.”

On the other hand, Rob Peterson, the go-to guy for Volt PR, liked the commercial. He calls it cute, but then he remembers he works for GM and adds that the video is "misleading and damaging to the EV movement."

More to follow, in this new battle between Leaf and Volt, we're sure.

http://www.autoevolution.com/images/...eo-35917_1.png

zulutango 06-01-2011 06:46 AM

Considering that they have only sold about 500 cars between them, this is the biggest mountain ever made out of the smallest mole hill in history.

"GM reported the delivery of 326 Chevrolet Volt extended range electric vehicles in the US in December, while Nissan reported 19 battery-electric LEAFs. ...and the US Govt is the biggest buyer.

Great68 06-01-2011 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilvtofu (Post 7454916)

With an advertised range of 160km, a LEAF couldn't get from Richmond to Abbotsford and back home on a charge...

For anyone that has to travel in that direction often, that's a lot of car rentals...

AWDTurboLuvr 06-01-2011 08:36 AM

Not to mention, many LEAF owners have reported much shorter ranges than that. From a "green" perspective, the need to buy another car alongside the LEAF would be retarded. It targets an extremely small demographic, especially in the US. What you can do in the Volt is travel in electric mode for an extended range and not really have to worry about getting stranded.

Great68 06-01-2011 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AWDTurboLuvr (Post 7455715)
Not to mention, many LEAF owners have reported much shorter ranges than that. From a "green" perspective, the need to buy another car alongside the LEAF would be retarded. It targets an extremely small demographic, especially in the US. What you can do in the Volt is travel in electric mode for an extended range and not really have to worry about getting stranded.

Yeah I didn't mention that the US EPA range rating on the Leaf is only 117km.