REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Manufacturer Tech Forums > Honda / Acura Tech Resources

Honda / Acura Tech Resources All honda & Acura Tech info
THIS ADSPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT

Old 05-30-2011, 08:29 PM   #1
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

ITR w/ cams, aircareable?

I`m looking for an ITR, and I found one in Kelowna. These are some of the mods...

B18C5 stock
Samco intake pipe
Header Vribant 4-2-1 jspec
Skunk2 cams stage 2
Skunk2 Valvetrain
obd1 p28 conversion tuned by total tuning
Magnaflow Hi-Flow Cat 2.5''
Apexi Worldsport 2 catback
Act prolite flywheel (not installed)
Koni Yellow ajustable shocks
H&R sport coils springs
Kosei K1 racing 15x7 +38 offset
Falken Azenis rt-215 205/50/15
Jdm red recaros
Eudm oem tail lights
Alpine cd mp3 deck

I was just curious if this would be a bear to get through aircare? I want as little hassle as possable...and a good ITR is freakin hard to find, so I`d appreciate your feedback. Thanks
Advertisement
G Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
Banned By Establishment

Doubt it since it's has an aftermarket cat,..Should pass with an oem cat.

Also whats the mileage?
OBD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:54 PM   #3

He has 118,000kms, also has stock ecu.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:58 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,561 Times in 455 Posts
What year ITR?

Whichever year, it's not going to be a walk in the park.

97 and older, the car is tested on the rollers, and they do the tailpipe test. Chances are, the way your car is set up, you'll most likely fail. BUT, if you take it to a local tuner shop, they should be able to set the car up so it will pass AirCare with all the aftermarket goodies installed.

98 and newer, is a bit more of a pain. They don't do the tailpipe test, rather, they plug into your ecu and scan for any codes. Since your ecu is OBD1, it won't interface with the AirCare computers. You will need the stock OBD2 ecu in order to pass. Make sure you have the USDM ecu, NOT an JDM ecu. JDM ecu's also do NOT interface with AirCare computers, regardless whether they are OBD1 or OBD2.

Don't let this scare you away from buyng the car if it's a 'good' one. Just make sure it's worth it. Most local shops around here are more than capable of getting you through AirCare, and it shouldn't cost you a fortune. Just know getting through AirCare won't be as simple as running it through on your way home from work
Lowered_Klass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:23 PM   #5

@ Spoon Fed - It`s a `99 ITR, and the owner says he has stock ECU....You think it will pass with all the bolt ons and cams? If it`s just a matter of swapping out the ECU, that would be great. Also, would I have to go every year and to tune it before aircare (to pass) or would it be a one time shot? I`d prefer a close to bone stock ITR but no one wants to sell me one. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:51 PM   #6
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,484 Times in 1,704 Posts
it's a '99, so if you pass the obd scan it's good for 2 years.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:33 PM   #7
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,818 Times in 3,332 Posts
run with stock ecu. drive with it for a while. if no code turns on, go for test. should be all good.

90' Honda EF Civic HB // 04' Honda Pilot Granite

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:46 PM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,561 Times in 455 Posts
With the stock ecu it should pass. Just make sure it's a USDM ecu.

As stated above, you'll need to drive around for a couple days to make sure all the readiness monitors are set. If after a few days your check engine light hasn't come on, head to AirCare.

I would be a bit nervous though, just swapping ecu's. Does the car have adjustable cam gears? It's not listed, but if they went to all the trouble of upgrading the cams and valvetrain, i'm sure they did... but perhaps the timing has been advanced, in which case it might fuck with the stock ecu, and might throw a code? Perhaps someone with more knowledge on this can confirm?

If you're unsure, I highly suggest visiting a shop, and having them get you set up to go through. If for nothing else, than to make sure you're aren't going to damage your engine making these changes.

Talking about this just gets me all worked up about AirCare, and what a complete waste it is. Such a pain.
Lowered_Klass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:48 PM   #9
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,818 Times in 3,332 Posts
if you're that paranoid... swap out cams and use stock ones. along with the ecu.

90' Honda EF Civic HB // 04' Honda Pilot Granite

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote